Any indie music fans?

Options

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm in the UK though so some won't have crossed over. I will watch this thread with interest for new bands I should be listening to online :-)

I've seen Death Cab 3 times and LOVE The Arcade Fire and Pulp
  • brandonkadlec
    Options
    Disptach, Sufjan Stevens, Avett Brothers. All three will dominate your ipod. :)
  • Shaunky68
    Shaunky68 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi. I don't know if this lady falls into "Indie" but she was highly recommended by a music friend of mine who listens to many different styles out there. I do too I guess, and that's why I'll pass on Regina Spektor to you. If you're already relaxed and want to hear some music to chill out more with give her a try. She's a pianist, singer from New York's East Village. I listened to her stuff last night and it was perfect timing. (long day) Enjoy!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love me some indie jams :smokin:
    But lately I haven't been up on discovering new bands! Been just listening to mainstream on the radio....:/
    There are some good bands gettin popular right now (The Black Keys, Young the Giant, Neon Trees, Mumford & Sons, Deathcab) so I'm not bashing the radio, but I hear the same freakin' songs every day!!

Will keep tabs on this thread for new bands to look into... :)

P.s. anyone heard of Built to Spill? one of my all-time favorites!

Built to Spill has some pretty strong lyrics! Also, YTG is horrible live.... well, they toured with Grouplove and they have totally different energies..... grouplove played and got the crowd all amped and then here comes YTG (who plays pretty relaxed music).... most people left halfway through their set. They didn't even play any of their hits! It was sad.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Me! Me! Me! hahaha
    I've recently found Chairlift, Blitzen Trapper, Thao with the Get Down Stay Down and I'm from Barcelona....I dig them. Not sure if they are actually all Indie though....

Love Chairlift!
  • AJ_Pete
    Options
    Hi. I don't know if this lady falls into "Indie" but she was highly recommended by a music friend of mine who listens to many different styles out there. I do too I guess, and that's why I'll pass on Regina Spektor to you. If you're already relaxed and want to hear some music to chill out more with give her a try. She's a pianist, singer from New York's East Village. I listened to her stuff last night and it was perfect timing. (long day) Enjoy!

LOVE REGINA! Her voice is so incredible!!!!
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    OoOooh, I'm always looking for new bands to check out! Gonna hafta come back to this thread...
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    Dressy Bessy, Imagine Dragons, Simple Kid, Brad Sucks
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The Postal service has been one of my favs for the last year. Though there is an endless amount of great ones that needs to be heard!
  • AJ_Pete
    Options
    Me.
    Some favourite bands include Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beirut, Broken Social Scene, TV On The Radio, Bon Iver, Dirty Projectors, The Walkmen and Interpol to name a few.

I love TV On The Radio, NMH, LOVE LOVE LOVE Beirut.... Interpol is another good one..... I'll have to look into the others.... I've heard some on Bon Iver, but not enough to really make up my mind....

TV On The Radio's lead singer passed after a lengthy battle with cancer quite a few months back... pretty sad because now you're really starting to hear them.... very sad.
    TV On the Radio are even better live probably the best band I have seen live, either them or Godspeed You! Black Emperor, definitely recommend checking them out if they are still touring.
  • AJ_Pete
    Options
    Dressy Bessy, Imagine Dragons, Simple Kid, Brad Sucks

Imagine Dragons I just found a few weeks ago... they're pretty amazing.
  • AJ_Pete
    Options
    OH!! Also, check out Atlas Genius. AMAZING! Their debut album drops June 12th I believe....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. So many good bands mentioned. I am a big fan of XM radio's XMU and the Loft stations. XMU is strictly Indie, the Loft plays everything. Current favorites there include Beach House, Beruit, 7 Horse and City and Colour.

Also LOVE Jenny Lewis (and Rilo Kiley),Fleetfoxes, and My Morning Jacket.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Their debut album "drops" June 12th I believe....

so hip:laugh:
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    I love Indie Music and most music in general. Right now my fav is Alabama Shakes, they're really starting to take off and they're fantastic! I also like The Givers, Local Natives, Jenny Lewis, The Elected, Matt Costa, Mike Doughty, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Swell Season, Mates of State, Pierre de Reeder (he was part of Rilo Kiley before they all decided to do their own things), Yo La Tengo, The Magnetic Fields, Pink Martini, etc. Also, not necessarily Indie but I loooooooove love love love Cowboy Mouth (band from New Orleans).
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I love me some indie jams :smokin:
    But lately I haven't been up on discovering new bands! Been just listening to mainstream on the radio....:/
    There are some good bands gettin popular right now (The Black Keys, Young the Giant, Neon Trees, Mumford & Sons, Deathcab) so I'm not bashing the radio, but I hear the same freakin' songs every day!!

Will keep tabs on this thread for new bands to look into... :)

P.s. anyone heard of Built to Spill? one of my all-time favorites!

Built to Spill has some pretty strong lyrics! Also, YTG is horrible live.... well, they toured with Grouplove and they have totally different energies..... grouplove played and got the crowd all amped and then here comes YTG (who plays pretty relaxed music).... most people left halfway through their set. They didn't even play any of their hits! It was sad.

I agree. I saw YTG last summer, and I couldn't have been more bored. It was at a large music showcase, so I left to check out other bands.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I am always looking for music to check out. I'm listening to Young the Giant, One eskimO, Pilot Speed, not sure if you consider these "indie" but if you can suggest some more to check out I'd appreciate it, .... I'll check out some of the ones already mentioned....
  • AJ_Pete
    Options
    I love Indie Music and most music in general. Right now my fav is Alabama Shakes, they're really starting to take off and they're fantastic! I also like The Givers, Local Natives, Jenny Lewis, The Elected, Matt Costa, Mike Doughty, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Swell Season, Mates of State, Pierre de Reeder (he was part of Rilo Kiley before they all decided to do their own things), Yo La Tengo, The Magnetic Fields, Pink Martini, etc. Also, not necessarily Indie but I loooooooove love love love Cowboy Mouth (band from New Orleans).

Have you checked out Jenny and Johnny (half Jenny Lewis, half Jonathan Rice)? REALLY GOOD STUFF.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You might try Mason Jennings or The Pines.
  • mrZISS0U
    mrZISS0U Posts: 10
    Options
    Battles are also great, the drummer is incredible. I like to listen to them when running.