How much is TOO much protein?

Options
Leslie85
Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
Is it possible for me to consume too much protein? For example, yesterday, MFP set my protein goal at 54g, and I ended the day with 109g. I do work out- I doubt I'd consider it "hard core" working out though- but it's decently vigorous. As a side note, I don't have a lot to lose, and I would like to tone up a bit.

All my protein on this particular day consisted of greek yogurt, fat flush soup (using 97% FF ground turkey), a pork chop, a whey protein shake, and a few other odds and ends that contained a little protein.

I know your body can only digest so much protein- so is this okay? I'm not TRYING to eat that much protein, it just kind of happens some days. As long as it's not harming me in any way I'm fine with it. But if I need to cut back I can.

Replies

• sheguay
    sheguay Posts: 14
    Options
    I can't believe you posted this about protein!!! I was just talking to my husband about this last night...I am always over on protein and was wondering the same thing! Hoping some responses come this way today! Thanks for asking and sorry no answer right now!
  • Leslie85
    Options
    That's okay! Yes, hopefully some good answers- I've always been so curious about this.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this as well. I have read that unless you have health issues, consuming up to half your body weight is acceptable. After reading this article I set my MFP macros to 40%carb/30%fat/30%protein. At 1500 cals a day that gives me over 100 grams of protein a day. I haven't been doing it long, but I haven't had any adverse effects. Hopefully someone else is a bit more helpful. The link the the article is below if you want to look at it: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/weight-loss.php
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    109g is not enough, IMO (Well I suppose it depends on your size, height, etc ). Protein is good for you! Eat it up! In order to eat too much protein that may cause damage to you, you'd have to go way beyond over your calories than you'd want to. So as long as you stay within your calorie limit you're fine. That's not to say going over means you're doomed however.
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    From my general understanding, you should have a high protein intake. Im not a doctor or nutritionist, but i do tend to over analyze everything i do. The most important thing is to keep you diet balanced, dont cut all carbs and focus soley on protein, it might lead to ketosis. Protein is gream for thermic affect, and is key in repairing and growing skin cells, hair , and healing wounds. Lean protein should always been first choice. Protein also feeds your muscles, which will help you tone up, i would also suggest minor weight lifting, instead of alot of weight, start off with small weight and do, numerous repititions. Just remeber too drink lots of water, and ensure you have a balanced diet. :) good luck
  • Leslie85
    Options
    I'd heard the half your body weight thing too, so I guess that is why MFP set my goal around 50 something. But I still get my carbs in...I love my carbs- but just making them good carbs these days!
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    consuming up to half your body weight is acceptable

:noway: that's a LOT of protein!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's not too much. I have a goal of 119 grams protein, which is hard for me to reach. I am happy if I go over 100 grams. I think mfp has protein set ridiculously low for some people. You need adequate protein if you want to try and keep your muscle mass while losing weight, or when trying to gain muscle.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    i am female, work out 5/6 times a week - 4x running 3 times weights., and I eat between 170 - 200g of protein a day - I weigh 176... Drink lots of water and eat enough healthy fat and you will be fine...MFP's settings for protein is way to low..
  • Leslie85
    Options
    i am female, work out 5/6 times a week - 4x running 3 times weights., and I eat between 170 - 200g of protein a day - I weigh 176... Drink lots of water and eat enough healthy fat and you will be fine...MFP's settings for protein is way to low..

I thought they seemed awfully low too! I mean, 50g protein...in a DAY? crazy!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommended protein amount is pretty low. I am a bit heavier than you, but I eat about 130g a day, sometimes more. I prefer it this way, as protein satisfies my hunger and keeps me fuller longer. There is a small chance that too much protein will negatively affect your kidneys, but it is not a problem for most people. This is something you should discuss with your doctor. On another note, I if you eat a lot of protein it is important to increase your fiber too, or you could get constipated.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to consume too much protein where chronic complication com up. Consume protein with a 0 fat intake, then the hospital is in the cards very quickly.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 4x a week and aim to eat at least 1g per lb of body weight in protein every day. On lifting days, I eat up to 140g. On non-lifting days, I aim for between 105 and 110.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people on this site recommend something like a gram of protein for every lb of lean body mass you have.
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I read on another thread that you should aim for 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass you have. For me that's about 94 grams per day. I changed my goals to decrease carbs and increase protein and fat. And I'm losing weight! Gotta love it! :smile:
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's not too much. I have a goal of 119 grams protein, which is hard for me to reach. I am happy if I go over 100 grams. I think mfp has protein set ridiculously low for some people. You need adequate protein if you want to try and keep your muscle mass while losing weight, or when trying to gain muscle.

This. My protein goal is set at 130g...I have to try hard to hit that (and only get <30 from a shake), normally coming in around 115g. :smile:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    after a little research i found that MFP was telling me to eat too little protein. I found an online calculator that told me to eat 90G a day, which a few friends agreed with. Its hard for me to make it to the 90G, but i'm trying. :smile:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per lean pound of body mass.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I generally go by the 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. So I usually consume ~130g a day and I'm 5'4" and 128 lbs.
  • mariaperry
    mariaperry Posts: 6
    Options
    this is what i came across and follow

Daily %' s coming from Calories

45-65 % should come from carbs (good carbs like fruits and veggies)
    20-30% should come from fat
    10-35% should come from protein