How much is TOO much protein?

Options

Replies

• Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Someone who is very much into fitness and training and health just told me yesterday 1 g of Protein for every lb. per day.....
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    How much is too much? 500g in one sitting.

You should be consuming 1g of protein per lb of LBM. The leaner you get, you should probably up it to 1.25-1.5g per lb of LBM to help retain. As people get lean, your body is dying to burn muscle as well as fat. Your body likes fat a lot more than it likes muscle.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I set my macros to 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and that comes out to a 140 grams of protein. The 40/30/30 is recommended by a lot of the trainers I have read and is "The Zone" diet as well.
    I am 5'4", 115 lbs, and set to maintain at about 1800 cals per day.
    You can customize your settings if you haven't, the default for protein is really low!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You can eat too much, but you're not even remotely close.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    How much is too much? 500g in one sitting.

You should be consuming 1g of protein per lb of LBM. The leaner you get, you should probably up it to 1.25-1.5g per lb of LBM to help retain. As people get lean, your body is dying to burn muscle as well as fat. Your body likes fat a lot more than it likes muscle.
    ^^This.

My LBM is around 130 pounds and I aim for around 180 g of protein/day. Of course, I am not trying to lose anymore, just maintain and maybe build a bit more muscle.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I lifted for about 1.5 hrs..ended up with 194 g of protein..today is cardio day.. (5k walk with the dogs) and will end up with about 140g of protein.

You need to refuel..so its up to you...But i do think that MFP sets the macros really weird. My carbs..I do about 100-120 a day...I try not to go over since I have PCOS and IR...I have been able to maintain since November..so I know what I am doing is right for my body....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If excess protein intake causes you to exceed your calorie goal it is probably too much.
    If excess protein intake causes you to repeatedly (over the course of time) neglect dietary fat it is probably too much.
    If excess protein intake causes you to drop carbs low enough to suffer performance or mood issues, it is probably too much.

Beyond the above I wouldn't worry about it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If excess protein intake causes you to exceed your calorie goal it is probably too much.
    If excess protein intake causes you to repeatedly (over the course of time) neglect dietary fat it is probably too much.
    If excess protein intake causes you to drop carbs low enough to suffer performance or mood issues, it is probably too much.

Beyond the above I wouldn't worry about it.
    That's probably the most brilliant response ever.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

The only thing that makes sense in that article is #8 regarding kidneys. Even #1 is misleading because ANY macronutrient in excess that causes you to eat over your TDEE will cause fat gain.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I got stuck at "Fat Flushing Soup."
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I routinely get between 125 and 150g protein per day. No problems sofar. I eat a lot to help maintain my muscle mass as I lose weight along with heavy weight training regimen.
  • cmhenely
    cmhenely Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here is a good calculator for protein depending on your activity, age, size of your frame, etc. http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
    Once you determine the amount you need, you can change your goals in MFP for better tracking. Remember that our bodies need carbohydrates (the good ones) so don't decrease your carb percent too low. Also, at least 20% of the good fats are needed.

Hope this helps.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

What do you mean? Before anyone says anything...I know it's not going to "flush my fat away." It just happens to be the name of the recipe. I make it because it tastes pretty good, is easy to take and heat up at work, and is quite nutritious! Plus, it lasts me for days...so when I make it I have almost a weeks worth of lunches.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

What do you mean? Before anyone says anything...I know it's not going to "flush my fat away." It just happens to be the name of the recipe. I make it because it tastes pretty good, is easy to take and heat up at work, and is quite nutritious! Plus, it lasts me for days...so when I make it I have almost a weeks worth of lunches.

If it just happens to be the name of the recipe, then so be it :) What's in it?
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

If it just happens to be the name of the recipe, then so be it :) What's in it?

Here is the link:

http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2011/10/04/my-famous-fat-flush-soup-recipe/

I don't follow the whole "fat flush diet" I just make the soup, and eat it for lunch. I got this recipe off one of the message boards here on MFP, but I think a lot of people really do think it will flush their fat away. In that sense, the name is quite misleading. I feel stupid saying the name of it, because many people, like you, assume that I think I'm flushing my fat away lol!
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I too set my macro to 40/20/20 and I almost never reach my protein goal. I do the 1g of protein per body weight to maintain strong muscles while weight training. I'm currently 138 so my goal is 138 grams of protein. This is quite difficult for me but If I have a low protein intake I will not only lose fat but also muscle and this is a big no no for me.

So to answer your question, I think it's very difficult to go over to the point where it's bad for you. If your under 100g of protein a day I recommend you bump that up a bit but it always depends on what type of body your going for. For a strong solid body enough protein is essential!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options