Fitness help for Law Enforcement

Options
13»

Replies

• interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, stamina is huge. When it gets ugly you know its a lot of close contact and ground fighting. The ability to outlast the bad guy can make all the difference. Strength is important, of course, but stamina keeps you alive.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, stamina is huge. When it gets ugly you know its a lot of close contact and ground fighting. The ability to outlast the bad guy can make all the distance. Strength is important, of course, but stamina keeps you alive.

And makes your wife happy.

( Couldn't help it )
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The OP sounds like he needs to go back and learn how to spell correctly first, writing police reports with a bunch of spelling errors is a no-no.
  • interceptor311
    Options
    In my opinion, stamina is huge. When it gets ugly you know its a lot of close contact and ground fighting. The ability to outlast the bad guy can make all the distance. Strength is important, of course, but stamina keeps you alive.

And makes your wife happy.

( Couldn't help it )

nothing makes her happy.
  • interceptor311
    Options
    The OP sounds like he needs to go back and learn how to spell correctly first, writing police reports with a bunch of spelling errors is a no-no.

Whats the OP?
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Whats the OP?

Original poster
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, stamina is huge. When it gets ugly you know its a lot of close contact and ground fighting. The ability to outlast the bad guy can make all the difference. Strength is important, of course, but stamina keeps you alive.

This.

Op - original poster
  • interceptor311
    Options
    ok thanks...got it :-)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ANY LEOs ON HERE, OR IN A SIMULAR ENVIRONMENT...MAYBE SOMEONE MILITARY??
    Dude..
    stop it already.
    IF you actually completed the police academy, you should be in pretty good shape already.

You are not fooling anyone.

This is so true. I mean, who has ever seen an overweight cop? Come on.

I've seen overweight cops. I fitted a guy for size 64 pants. Yes, you read it right, 64. I also had to get him body armor and his size was 30/20-30/18. No joke. My Second Chance rep called to make sure I didn't write it down incorrectly.
  • sugabear123789
    Options
    A lot of departments may require you to be in good shape to graduate from the academy, but once you are out there are no fitness requirements and it is all up to you. And, just like everybody, it is easy to let yourself go.
    this is EXACTLY RIGHT....its just like anyone else. its easy to just let your guard down on your weight.
  • sugabear123789
    Options
    GOTTA LOVE SPELL CHECK APPS!!! lmao
    i dont pay much attention on things like this
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    ANY LEOs ON HERE, OR IN A SIMULAR ENVIRONMENT...MAYBE SOMEONE MILITARY??
    Dude..
    stop it already.
    IF you actually completed the police academy, you should be in pretty good shape already.

You are not fooling anyone.

This is so true. I mean, who has ever seen an overweight cop? Come on.
    Not at 25 years old.
    That is still an FNG.
    The problem a lot of police officers have is that once they leave the academy, they stop working out.
    But, in order to graduate the academy, you do have to be in pretty good shape.

Guess you're not familiar with the smaller towns who sometimes hire from Community College Police Academies. There are at least 2 colleges in my area who have a police academy that has either a joke for PT or no PT at all. One of my coworkers (civilian police employee) went to one and he's 5'10, pushing 300...and NOT a muscular 300. Super slovenly too. One of the colleges has "nutritional seminars" in lieu of PT.

My PD has its' own Academy, and yes, you have to pass pretty strenuous physical agility testing to even get in.
    I suppose you are correct.
    I know down here, you have to be in pretty good shape to graduate from the academy.
    I suppose "Mayberry" could have different standards.

I am just outside of Houston, TX and sadly, many of these agencies/cities aren't considered "Mayberry"-esque...but yes, below standard in many ways. I've been in the field for over 15 years, and it gets worse and worse with the quality of officers I see coming out (generally speaking). They're getting lazier and dimmer. Not a lot of common sense/street smarts.
  • sugabear123789
    Options
    this is absolutely true....
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A lot of departments may require you to be in good shape to graduate from the academy, but once you are out there are no fitness requirements and it is all up to you. And, just like everybody, it is easy to let yourself go.
    this is EXACTLY RIGHT....its just like anyone else. its easy to just let your guard down on your weight.

The most important thing is keeping your air on a pursuit and not being too gassed out to then handle whatever comes next. I do a lot of interval training (sprints, Insanity program, conditioning classes), plus anything that keeps my body guessing once I get used to it. That means, bootcamps and crossfit are great options. I don't do pure crossfit at a crossfit gym, but I do fight training and conditioning that incorporate a lot of it. Obviously, strength is a factor, too, so I lift heavy and do a lot of body weight resistance (push ups!) and core work (not just abs, but balance). Boxing is great conditioning and helps with reflexes, but I like to kick things so I train in muay thai. :) Train like an athlete ... well rounded, change up your program, find something you love, rest when you need to and eat to fuel your body. It really depends on if you can get to a gym with your schedule, if not, there's plenty to do at home or outside. Good luck!