First time running/running a 5k question

Options
13»

Replies

• jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    C25K grad here, too!

You'll be a runner in no time...and totally addicted.

^ THIS!!!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    First,
    Please, go to a running store and get yourself fitted for shoes. It will make all the difference in the world. Even your zumba shoes won't work... A good store will watch (or video) your gait on a treadmill and fit you accordingly. Don't be surprised if they also suggest you go up an entire size. Caution: this will be expensive but WORTH every dime! bad shoes = injury and down time from EVERYTHING!

Second,
    Pick a training program, any program and stick with it. C25k is good. But so is walking the 5k for a few days, then incorporate running when you can. In no time, you will be picking up speed, but FIRST you have to get your body used to doing the distance.

Third,
    Water, water, water, water... and more water.. You don't have to take any on your runs, but you may want to, especially if it is warm where you are.

Last,
    Give yourself a break. No one starts out running 5k without training, patience and practice. Take it slow, you will avoid injury. Plan rewards for yourself at given milestones. and mostly, HAVE FUN!

Good luck!
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner and started running to lose weight. I did a learn to run similar to the couch to 5k, but this was from weight watchers. The 30 seconds of running and then walking at first was so frustrating for me. The weight watchers one had a program that started with 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off at very, very slow speeds. I know that c25k has a podcast somewhere which was a little helpful. Just don't push yourself too hard with running because you will get injured. Take your time building up to a good comfortable speed even if you feel great. And definitely get good shoes!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • annokoye
    annokoye Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just want to encourage you. Many have told you what tools that would definitely support you in your effort to complete the 5k in August; however, I just want to let you know that you are so beautiful and shouldn't ever try to commit suicide. I am totally sorry if I misunderstood your post but I think you stated you were asked to participate in a 5k to prevent Suicide. Just know that life is a journey. While on this journey we experience good and bad things; however the wonderful thing is to wake up the next day to the journey all over again. Even when you expereince something bad the best "show off" of refusing defeat to that bad thing is to wake back up the next day and look for what you can possibly find good. When you wake up in the morning look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are beautiful and that you will not be beat by life but rather you will live and enjoy life through good and bad times. Remember that it is the bad things we experience in life that help us appreaciate so much the good things.

Now for the run. You get your shoes, and take the advice so many have already given c25k and do the very best you can. When you are out there running remember that is your time and you volunteered to do it so don't worry about people around you just keep running. I know you will do great. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!