Pasta Alternative PLEASE!!!!

Options
littlecaponey2
littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
OK, so pasta is really high in calories for what you get.....like 2oz of pasta is an absolute joke if you ask me! I am not a huge pasta girl, but there are times where I crave pasta and I want more than 2oz! My favorite "comfort" food is pasta, tuna fish, and mayo.....all cold! So Yummy!

Going grocery shopping tonight and wondering if there is a low calorie pasta or an alternative.

Thank You!

Replies

• Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i'm a fan of couscous. Easy to cook, if you get the whole wheat plain stuff 1/3 cup dry equates to about 1 cup cooked. Still 200 something for that much, but totally worth it. It's filling.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I eat spaghetti squash.
    Super low calorie, and you can put sauce on it just like regular pasta.

You bake it in the oven and it's sooooooo good!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I substitute it with zucchini or spaghetti squash....not sure that will fill the carb craving but it's healthy and what I do. Pasta is my weakness so I just have to avoid it completely...boo.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash in place of pasta .... YUMMY
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    x 2 on the spagheti squash.

or shirataki noodles (or slimpasta- you can get them at market of choice)- 20 cal a serve for noodles.. yumm
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    but i like pasta
  • cookierinthia
    cookierinthia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles! I love pasta!
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I get the Ronzoni Smart Pasta and then plan ahead so it fits my calorie goal. Or I just save my pasta craving for a cheat meal.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    2 oz DRY pasta= 1 cup cooked pasta
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you really really need pasta, do a small amount but make the actual dish a full serving by adding sauteed veggies. I made a penne cajun pasta with baby portobello, shrimp, roasted corn, tomato, feta and cayenne for around 450 calories a serving. You can get it in the if the main ingredient isn't pasta.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Nooodle & Miracle rice that I get at a central market in the refrigerated section. I love them.
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you really really need pasta, do a small amount but make the actual dish a full serving by adding sauteed veggies. I made a penne cajun pasta with baby portobello, shrimp, roasted corn, tomato, feta and cayenne for around 450 calories a serving. You can get it in the if the main ingredient isn't pasta.

THIS! 2 oz is plenty when you pump it up with lots of veggies. I also discovered that 2 oz of angel hair seems to be a larger portion than 2 oz of any other pasta - at least the eyes it appears to be a bigger portion.
  • Fridayafternoon
    Options
    My nutritionist says that even wheat pasta turns to sugar in your body. Eat rice pasta. It tastes really similar and is great. doesn't turn to sugar in your body. Give it a try!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says that even wheat pasta turns to sugar in your body. Eat rice pasta. It tastes really similar and is great. doesn't turn to sugar in your body. Give it a try!

How is that even possible? Rice is pretty high up on the index..... Rice is a carb too......
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    i've seen this zero calorie pasta/noodle stuff on amazon. google 'zero calorie noodles'

i havent actually tried them so don't know what they are like.

edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Water-calorie-pasta-noodles/dp/B006NXZFGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337722368&sr=8-1

that's the link to it - i hear there are other brands though
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I substitute quinoa for pasta. It's not the same, but it's just as filling and MUCH better to your body.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Every once in a blue moon I'll eat a (reasonable) amount of a restaurant portion of pasta. Otherwise, I really don't make it. there is no alternative that compares to the real thing, for me. So I gave it up almost entirely and just allow myself to enjoy it once every couple of months. Kept the weight off 4 years now.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I eat spaghetti squash.
    Super low calorie, and you can put sauce on it just like regular pasta.

You bake it in the oven and it's sooooooo good!

This was going to be my answer as well.