Pasta Alternative PLEASE!!!!

Options

Replies

• DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Shirataki noodles!! Or, spaghetti squash. Or one of my favorites (when I'm not on Atkins), whole wheat pearl/Israeli couscous. Such a great texture and so yummy!! Pearl couscous can be enjoyed hot or cold :-)
  • lizmoca
    lizmoca Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is the bomb diggihty!
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    If I REALLY want my favorite pasta dish (fettuccine alfredo!) I go for it and have the real thing!! During our typical week though, my husband loves spaghetti and meatballs.... I always make my own turkey meatballs or use trader joe's meatless meatballs and have it over quinoa. I LOVE quinoa - am a huge fan of its' flavor, texture, nutritional benefits, EVERYTHING! I could eat it at every meal. No, it's not the same as pasta (which is why I indulge in the fettuccine alfredo once in awhile!!) but I love it!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Is it pasta you crave, or is the pasta just a convenient vehicle for the sauce? I've discovered that, really, I don't care so much about the noodles as it is the sauce that I adore. (Same with chips at the Mexican restaurant - just give me my own bowl of salsa and a spoon and I'm good, hah.)

Back on topic: the spaghetti squash is worth a try, as is julienned zucchini, but I've also added spaghetti sauce to freshly cooked spinach and found it delightful. Think about what you're REALLY hungering for, and if it's the sauce, find something veggie-related to ladle it over. :glasses:
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across a receipte that shredded Zucchini into pasta like strips, you need a "ninja" shredder. Cook until aldente and add your favourite sauce
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    spaghetti squash
    tofu
    quinoa
    millet

Lose the rice
    Lose the pasta
    Lose the bread.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like homemade pasta. And I usually plan it into my day so that I know I can enjoy it and load it with veggies.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OK, so pasta is really high in calories for what you get.....like 2oz of pasta is an absolute joke if you ask me! I am not a huge pasta girl, but there are times where I crave pasta and I want more than 2oz! My favorite "comfort" food is pasta, tuna fish, and mayo.....all cold! So Yummy!

Going grocery shopping tonight and wondering if there is a low calorie pasta or an alternative.

Thank You!
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you have an Asian store near you try to find yam noodles...they are 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fat. there are a few different versions one is made with tofu and the other is just yam. the official Japanese name for them is Shirataki Noodles. They have absolutely no taste, but they are a great vehicle for anything you would put on pasta. I like them with garlic, plum tomatioes and shrimp or in a Peanut Sesame sauce with cucumbers and scallions and bean sprouts. Make sure you rinse them well as there are in a liquid that has a bit of an odor. I think you can find them in Whole Foods too.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Julienne Zucchini! I made this for the first time last night, finally found a use for that julienne peeler that's been in my drawer for eons and never used. I added a squirt of lemon juice, we had it with those lovely chicken sausages that are everywhere lately. Also, the site the recipe is on is a great blog.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-in-my-pouch_10.html
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Get one of these -> http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Peeler-Protector/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1337725888&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I turn zucchini, yellow squash and carrots into yummy pasta :) Soooo good!!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative for REAL pasta!!!

I've tried them all!!!

100% Italian and I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: PASTA :ohwell:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says that even wheat pasta turns to sugar in your body. Eat rice pasta. It tastes really similar and is great. doesn't turn to sugar in your body. Give it a try!

My dietitian says the same thing. That is I must eat pasta, eat only 1/2 serving and load it up with protein and veggies to even out my blood sugar. I do prefer spaghetti squash in place of pasta over the years.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I used shirataki noodles tonight to make a stir fry and it was DELICIOUS. I'm sure you can use them as a pasta substitute as long as you don't mind the (kinda) slimy texture... I didn't.
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    OK, so pasta is really high in calories for what you get.....like 2oz of pasta is an absolute joke if you ask me! I am not a huge pasta girl, but there are times where I crave pasta and I want more than 2oz! My favorite "comfort" food is pasta, tuna fish, and mayo.....all cold! So Yummy!

Going grocery shopping tonight and wondering if there is a low calorie pasta or an alternative.

Thank You!

Oh my gosh.. I though we were the only ones. At my house we call that TNP (tuna, noodles & peas) & it is a cold dish, always... lol :laugh:
    But for myself, I don't like tuna at all, so I have NP.. 1 serving I make is 500 cals :huh: but it's all I will have for lunch some days..

I personally LOVE pasta.. no way I can give it up.. so for me there is no alternative, just moderation... sorry. just thought I'd post since we both make the same thing lol.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash - I steam mine in the microwave. Cut lengthwise - scrape out the seeds and loose fibers. Set cut side down in a pan or bowl with an inch of water and steam for 8 - 10 minutes (depending on the size of the squash. Remove with fork and it will be strands that resemble spaghetti. Top with your favorite sauce. DELICIOUS. It is what I had for dinner tonight (and last night and probably tomorrow night - as it was big).

Also, I still make and eat spaghetti (2 oz does cook up to 1 cup), but I load it up with tons of vegetables and lean meat so it is filling.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I save my pasta for the night before a long run or ride. I can burn 800 calories on a one hour run or 1000 calories in one hour of cycling. That's a lot of pasta and I'm certain that my glycogen levels are topped off before the long outing.
  • tomskat51
    tomskat51 Posts: 3
    Options
    Growing up in an Italian family, for me it is more about the sauce than the pasta. But I do love my pasta too. My grandmother used to mix sauce with green beans to get me to eat them and they are wonderful also as a side dish. We also do the same with steamed rice (less calories than pasta) or bean sprouts. The later is my husband's favorite, but add the sprouts to the finished sauce to heat through. If you steam them first, they turn an unpleasant brown and are bitter.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Workout extra hard that day and earn the extra calories to splurge. Besides, carbs are good before a workout for quick, cheap energy. Ever heard of spagetti nights before big races? If you want to make it slightly better, get whole grain pasta. Pretty much the same on calories but it's supposed to be better for you. It does take getting used to the taste and it can be more expensive depending on where you buy it but once you're used to it, you won't miss regular pasta too much. This is lifestyle change for me that is sustainable in the long run because I love my pasta and it loves my thighs.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you really really need pasta, do a small amount but make the actual dish a full serving by adding sauteed veggies. I made a penne cajun pasta with baby portobello, shrimp, roasted corn, tomato, feta and cayenne for around 450 calories a serving. You can get it in the if the main ingredient isn't pasta.

Holy delicious!!