Doing high intensity workouts barefoot.....is that okay?

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You don't get "well" from a broken toe in a week and a half. It doesn't matter if you feel well, you have a broken toe. Shouldn't you be talking to your doctor about what is safe to do?

This. I broke my toe a couple of summers ago and kept exercising on it because it didn't feel that bad. When I finally went to the doctor he told me as professionally as possible that I was a moron and needed to keep off of it.

It may not heal properly, and then you open yourself up to a host of problems that may not resolve. I had to take it easy for six weeks, but only your doctor can monitor you and tell you for sure when it's safe.

People seem to have missed the question entirely. The question is not "Can you do high intensity workouts barefoot?", but can you do them WITH A BROKEN TOE.

Shoeless or not, trying to do high intensity workouts a week after suffering a broken toe is ......well, let's just say your doctor was correct.
  • aheal2008
    aheal2008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I found this question, I love doing TurboFire and T25 but wearing shoes was KILLING my feet and it was so much easier and comfortable to do them barefoot, thank goodness I'm not the only one :-)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I broke my toe many years ago and it was difficult for me to do any kind of cardio -- high impact or not. Your toe isn't going to magically heal in 2 weeks. Mine took months to heal.

With that said, I personally wouldn't do high intensity workouts barefoot, especially if it's going to involve jumping around. When I was doing Insanity I did it a few times barefoot and then in my Vibram 5-finger shoes and I think the impact and the lack of support contributed to an injury that I had that kept me from running for three months. I now have to wear a special "support" under my toe when I run to minimize the pain.