Strategies for Memorial Day BBQs

Options
Hi,
Does anyone have any good strategies for the upcoming long weekend? I do so good during the week, but when it comes to summer BBQs, I end up sitting in front of a bowl of chips and devouring it. Plus, I'll dring a gallon of sangria! I hate the fact that one weekend can un-do weeks of eating well. So....does anyone have any strategies that they use to curb their BBQ binges??

Replies

• violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Chew minty gum. You have something in your mouth which will stop you from eating, and the minty aftertaste of some gums makes me feel like I just brushed my teeth and therefore I won't eat anything. I will be employing this strategy over the weekend :)
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    eat protein and salad and just enjoy the day
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    try to sit away from the food. bring a water bottle and keep filling it up. figure out what are the healthiest options and eat those. if tehre is something not as healthy take a little bit (like a tablespoon or 1/4 cup) and then take your time eating. also chew gum when you're done. try and say no to dessert, say you are full. etc.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to control yourself while eating the things that you love. It will get easier if you continue to eat those foods you love but just decide YOU WILL do it in moderation. Try to bring other things to fill up on like veggies or eat something before heading out. Also if you like beer I really like MGD 64 as my go to beer. I can have quite a few before they add up to much. Good luck!
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bring a fruit salad and eat that instead
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    1. Keep It Hot. Preheat your grill, otherwise food will stick. The Cook’s Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue says that when your gas or charcoal grill is ready to cook on, you will be able to hold your hand five inches above the grate for two seconds if the fire is “hot” and three to four seconds if the fire is “medium-hot.”

2. Grill Safely. The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association has put together a helpful list of tips for safe grilling. Good reminders among them: Don’t grill in an enclosed area; use baking soda to control a grease fire, not water; have a fire extinguisher, bucket of sand, or garden hose on hand; and be sure your grill is on stable ground before firing it up.

3. Have Everything Nearby. Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison, authors of The Big Book of Outdoor Cooking and Entertaining, say that you should have everything you’re going to need close at hand before you start cooking. “The chicken breast will burn by the time you run back into the kitchen to find those tongs,” they caution.

4. Keep It Clean. Steven Raichlen, author of The Barbecue! Bible, says that “last year’s food does not a good seasoning make for this year’s food.” John Atkins, the pitmaster for the Virginia-based BBQ Connection catering company, offers tips for cleaning your grill on his barbecue blog.

5. Grease Your Grates. Once your grill is clean, Judith Fertig, one of the BBQ Queens, two grilling and barbecue experts who have written 20 cookbooks between them, says to make sure you oil it before cooking. This helps to keep food from sticking, and makes it easier to clean up later.

6. Decide If You Need a Single-Level or Dual-Level Fire. A single-level fire heats the grill evenly, either with all the gas burners on the same setting, or with the charcoal equally spread out. This is good for cooking things fast, such as vegetables and fish. A dual-level fire (also called indirect grilling) has most, and sometimes all, of the charcoal banked to one side, or the burners on a gas grill adjusted to high on one side and the others turned off or set to low. “When you’re grilling bone-in chicken or steak, you’ll want to sear it first on the hot side,” explains Fertig, “then transfer to the cooler side, put the lid down, and finish cooking.”

7. Leave an Unheated Space on the Grill. Even if you’re cooking over a single-level fire, the Jamisons recommend leaving a small space unheated so that you have somewhere to move food if you have a flare-up or if something is cooking too fast.

8. Keep the Lid Up for Veggies. In her book The New Vegetarian Grill Andrea Chesman says that the lid traps moist heat and smoke, which makes vegetables lose their crunch and take on a “dull, sooty patina.” She advises lid-down cooking only for large, whole vegetables that benefit from a little steam, such as winter squashes or potatoes.

9. Sauce Later. The Cook’s Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue says that saucing too soon is a common mistake. If you brush on sauces at the beginning of cooking, chances are they will burn and taste awful by the time the food is done. Wait until the last few minutes to apply them and you’ll get a nice glaze instead of a black, charred mess.

10. Don’t Forget Food Safety. Check for proper doneness with an instant-read thermometer and use separate platters for cooked and raw foods. If you want to use a marinade as a sauce, the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service says to either reserve some that hasn’t come in contact with raw foods, or to boil it first to destroy any bacteria. Check out this food safety fact sheet for more tips.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We have a large BBQ to go to Monday, Im dreading it. Im taking a large salad to share, since I know the cook (my FIL) loves to cook meat and potatoes..
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    eat protein and salad and just enjoy the day

^^^^^This!
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eat your protein first, start with your chicken or ribs or whatever; then you won't be as tempted.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I plan on going for and run first thing in the morning to get my burn up so I can enjoy the day and some food!
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have also found that Sam Adams Light only has 119 calories.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bring a fruit salad and eat that instead

I was thinking the same thing lol:)
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    don't stress. I had a graduation bbq last weekend and this weekend is Memorial. My strategy was to eat/drink and enjoy myself, all in moderation. Example: I had rib tibs, no sauce. Only one alcohic beverage. Made sure to steer clear of bread esp WHITE bread.

also what helped me was playing games, to burn calories. Frisbee, volleyball, etc. Get active!
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any good strategies for the upcoming long weekend? I do so good during the week, but when it comes to summer BBQs, I end up sitting in front of a bowl of chips and devouring it. Plus, I'll dring a gallon of sangria! I hate the fact that one weekend can un-do weeks of eating well. So....does anyone have any strategies that they use to curb their BBQ binges??

I say start with the gallon of sangria and then move to the BBQ meat and then if you are still hungry have some chips. Enjoy the weekend!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I say volunteer to run the grill. I may still have a drink or 2, but I don't have the chance snack mindlessly. Of course I love to grill so that is generally my job anyway. Plus you can get a little exercise running back and forth to the kitchen. 2 birds, same stone... :) Have fun.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies are great also and easy to do :)
  • Carribiz
    Carribiz Posts: 5
    Options
    Try eating raw vegetable with low fat plain yogurt ranch dressing(you make yourself). Drinking crystal light new cocktail drink mix. Grilling a chicken breast with no salt seasoning. Watermelon for dessert.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Change things up! Bring some shrimp on skewers to grill - I season mine with McCormicks Carribean Jerk seasoning and then drizzle with a touch of honey. Yum ! Fruit salad goes great with it and it's filling!
  • librarybook
    Options
    Eat the BBQ. You can't deny yourself what you want! Just follow these simple steps Get what you want the first time, no seconds!! Leave the bun....don't need that, just the meat. Load up on the grilled veggies too, it will make your plate look full & pretty!!!Also, talk and do activities. This is fun exercise!! That is really what Memorial Day is about, spending time with family and remembering good times with family. Don't fill your mind with, I CAN'T EAT THAT, WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE FEEDING ME?? lol
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat - stick with just meat and fresh veg / fruit. Avoid the pasta salads and mayo heavy stuff.

Go easy on the BBQ sauce.

Avoid the sweet treats - cakes, pies etc.