Help! What helps you relax and sleep?

Options
124»

Replies

• zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pills, teas, etc. are temporary and don't solve the underlying pattern. Just like with any other bad habit, improving poor sleep habits takes time and effort. There are no easy answers, and repeating the same behaviour will inevitably yield the same results. For instance, it's amazing how many people nap all day and then complain that they can't sleep at night [eyeroll]

There is plenty of information on improving sleep hygiene in this thread and on the internet, so I won't repeat what's already been said. The hard part is not finding advice; it's actually applying that advice.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I had insomnia once, but I slept like a baby after killing a man in north Dakota one night
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Melatonin works for most people, but try a small dose first (0.1mg). A lot of supplements contain much larger doses which can have the opposite effect.

Also take a look at what you are consuming in the hours before bed. You might be consuming caffeine or other stimulants without realizing it (I bought "Active Women" multivitamins and realized that they contain the caffeine of 2-3 cups of coffee.) If you like tea, avoid black, green and mate types before bed.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Reading, wine, sex...not necessarily in that order.