Failure stories for a change!

Options
124»

Replies

• logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Not on MFP, but my first round of weightloss was a disaster.

It started when I came home from Florida 4 years ago. I thought I was feeling good from all the walking so I decided to weigh myself. To my shock I was tipping the scales at over 300lbs. I kind of had a breakdown and immediatly went on a diet. It took about 9 months to get myself down to 204. Shortly after that I found out my wife was pregnant with our second child. For personal reasons, this put me back into a depression and got me eating again. I went back up to 270lbs.

It ends well though. My daughter was born and she is beautiful. I worked hard, and with a few setbacks inbetween I am now down to 187lbs (over 100lbs off my starting weight 4 years ago).

Morle of the story: Learn what triggers your eating. Knowing why you are eating is just as important as knowing what you are eating.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like this thread too. At first I had the same reaction as one of the first replies - why think about the bad? But honestly, that's what got me stuck in the yo-yo dieting, oblivious to how I should change myself, extreme diet roller coaster before I smartened up. The best thing a good friend of mine asked me was "what made you gain the weight back?" after I'd lost on Atkins a few years before. My first reaction was "I don't want to think about it, that's in the past and I just want to look forward and be positive". But I couldn't get her question out of my head and it finally occurred to me that I'd done that thing we all do - try the same sort of drastic measures time and time again just to fail miserably. And I really put some thought into how I could do it differently this time around to make it more realistic and avoid the failures. I even studied the skinny people in my life to see how they managed to stay trim and fit.

So this time around I decided no deprivation, no starvation, no clean out the cupboards and start over tactics. Only small realistic changes that I know I can live with for the rest of my life. And no guilt about the occassional indulgence! After 2+ years and an 85 pound loss, I'd say it's working...

(oops, sorry, snuck some success in there at the end) :flowerforyou:
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The only point in a failure story is what you learned from it. I've had numerous failures. I've learned a few things:
    -I can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome.
    -I can't stick with eating plans that leave me hungry.
    -Food makes a lousy best friend. It only delays problems but does not make them go away.
    -Moderation is the key in most things.
    -If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
    -Forgiving myself for falling off the wagon is a better option than beating myself up over it.
    -Beating myself up over the inevitable slip ups leads to a binge.

I could go on and on. What have you learned from your failures?
  • coddy4
    coddy4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am there today, it started out good (no shocker) and then I threw in the towel, again. I have been on MFP for the month of May and I really like it, so I just take each day as a new day, success or failure. But I, like you, believe we need to relate to failures as much as we do successes. While successes may motivate us, failure shows us we are human
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yeah "set back" story is a better way to put it. mine is that i started here and lost 3 pounds but stopped going to the gym and eating fruits daily. started back a few days ago! so im back on it again.
  • arwenselvenlight
    Options
    My biggest failure story: Getting sucked into MFP all day and not accomplishing anything. Crap...that happened again today :tongue:

hahahaha meeeeeeee too

Me too! lol
  • nattylou90natt
    nattylou90natt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did so well after christmas and lost half a stone which is fantastic for me!
    Then i moved out of my parents house and in with my boyfriend and well .. i put it all back on =( eating take outs etc..
    I just found it hard to get into, because my parents were doing it and they were buying all the food so i was eating healthier and having what they did!
    I also started a new job, which is night shifts and day shifts so i still struggle =(

But now .. i have re started and i aim to lose at least a lb a week until my holiday in September!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!