What are your goals in the next three months?

Options
I'm back to being a fully dedicated MFPer after a long break. I just finished a second bachelor's degree in preparation for a major career shift, and I'm headed for grad school in the fall. The last two years have been great for me intellectually, but my body has taken a hit. I've got about 80-100 lbs to loose, but I want to focus on the first steps this summer, and I've made some specific goals for myself to help me focus on healthy habits that go beyond the number on the scale.

Here are the things that I plan to accomplish this summer, and my action plan for accomplishing them:

1. Lose the first 30 lbs by September first. This is about 2lbs a week, which is a lot, but I have a lot of weight to lose so with a little clarity the first thirty should come off that fast. I'll record my calorie intake daily, stay within my prescribed calorie goals at least five days a week, and cut out carbonated beverages and fast food except for an occasional treat. I'll get on the scale weekly and record my results on MFP.

2. Workout at the gym at least 4 days a week, and record my workouts on MFP.

3. Do 100 push ups. There is a six week plan to do 100 push ups. I have terrible upper body strength, and this very structured program will help me build strength, and push ups are good resistance training. I have to start with "modified" (girl) push ups. My plan is to do the first six weeks and build enough upper body and core strength to do 100 modified push ups, then repeat the program doing "regulation" push ups. The program requires doing push ups three days a week. I'll record my push ups as part of my exercise notes. (If you're interested in the plan, google "do 100 push ups".)

4. Do 200 sit ups...same as above, only with sit ups. Three days a week, alternating with the push up days.

5. Couch to 5k. As part of my cardio work outs, which I usually do on the elliptical to protect my joints, I'm going to incorporate the couch to 5K running program beginning in mid June. I will register to run my first 5k on August 4th. .

Goals work best when they are measurable, achievable, and you have a game plan to accomplish them. Part of my game plan is to report how I'm doing in this thread for the next three months. I'd love to have the support (and to be supportive) of others who have clear goals for their summer. If you have some goals and would like other people to help keep you accountable, post them to this thread, and we'll work together this summer!

(Edited for typos only.)

Replies

• MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    My only one right now is to get to the weight I was before I got pregnant with my first son in 1995. That weight was 166 lbs. I am aiming to reach it by July 14, 2012.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Excellent! Bring on July 14!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Excellent! Bring on July 14!

Thanks!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    1) three mountain bike races (I've never raced before, but have been working up to it).
    2) lose 5-10 lbs
    3) do a 12 hour adventure race that I signed up for with my boss and 2 co-workers
    4) give up diet soda (yikes, that's the hardest, believe it or not!)
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I recently decided that I want my total loss- including the current 35- to be at least 50 on my first anniversary, september 3. And I want to lose the next 20 and hit my first goal(70 lost, weight starting with a 1!) by January 1- it'll be my one year here. I know here small and attainable, but that's good for me :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Goals over the next 3 months:

- Lose 12 to 15 lbs.
    Complete a 5K and run the entire thing, under 40 minutes

Yeah, that's about it!
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just hit day 30 of 'Power 90', a 90 day conditioning program. I agree with you, having a structured plan and logging results is the best way to achive our goals. It doesn't matter if it's a self designed plan like yours or store bought like mine. What's important is to moniitor and adjust if we aren't on track.
    Good luck with your plan.
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'll add my goals for the summer, too ...

(1) 100 push ups ... I hate planks, so this goal should make doing them a bit easier.
    (2) Be more accountable, which means logging stuff on MFP consistently, rather than sporadically.
    (3) Yoga every day, even if only a few sun salutations and some balance work, and more mindfulness whilst doing it.
    (4) Lose the 13 pounds I need to get below 200 for the first time in longer than I'd care to admit, and lose the first 3 of those by the 21st of June.

So, I think I've hit all of the SMART goal markers, as I'd like to have reached these by the time my fall semester starts back up (August 20th or so).

Good luck!
  • wigginsash
    wigginsash Posts: 4
    Options
    My goal is to lose the last 10 lbs! I've lost 60 and have made a commitment to reach 155 lbs. The smaller I get, it seems like the the pounds are harder to come off but I'm determined to do this! This is the smallest I've been since 8th grade and it feels great!
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    My Ultimate Goal is to weight 155lbs
    My Current Goal is also to lose 30lbs by September 1st

Last year my boyfriend was in Iraq and I used that time to better myself and went from 204lbs to 168lbs and I had plateaud then when he came home I had to cancel my gym membership and fly to Texas for a month to be with him til we moved to Florida (I am from Chicago) so with all the moving and lack of gym membership I fell wayyyy off my gym junkie wagon and May 1st I weighed 198lbs =[ so I am back at it again and this time I wont stop til I reach 155. I have never in my life been skinny, I have slow metabolism and I am very picky eater so even though I played sports from 4th grade to Senior year it didnt make a difference because my body was use to that exercise.

Current Weight is 193lbs @ 5'9'' with a wide frame

So in the next 3 months Id like to be confident enough to feel good in my bikini because I didnt move to Florida from a Snowy state to NOT LIVE AT THE BEACH on the weekends lol...
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Yay!! So happy to see others with goals they want to achieve this summer. Bike races and Power 90 and pounds off and yoga!

I know we can all do it, I hope you'll check back in once a week or so. Feel free to add me to your "friends" list if you want an extra someone cheering you on.
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose around 30 lbs before my trip to Florida. This is my very first vacation and I want to look good in a bathing suit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have a little less than 15 pounds to lose before I hit my final goal weight. Ideally, I'd like to be there by the time I reach the anniversary of starting this diet (July 13) but that's only 7 weeks away and I know it's not really going to happen. But sometime this summer, I will reach 150 pounds.
  • missyx182
    missyx182 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    right now, my main goal is to stay focused. i have been having a terrible time staying on track and getting motivated. MFP is definitely helping :D

way to go on setting your goals & i can't wait to watch you reach them!
  • mary_pr37
    mary_pr37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just started a program that my son got me as a mother gift it's call Slim in 6. I hope for the best results need to loose more than 50 pounds, and it's so hard.
    I agree with you, having a structured plan and logging results is the best way to achive our goals. im so glad that I've found MFP its the best thing that has happend to me. And the support of online friends is the best (sometime you're close friend and family make it so dificult)
    Best luck to all.
  • Smores18
    Smores18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have some pretty heft goals but I've found that if I set my goals high I at least achieve SOMETHING, lol. We will start TTC again after Lupron and one month of birth control the second week of August. I do not diet while TTC so I'm planning on losing everything by August 1 so that I can be healthy for my baby!

Anyway so my small goal that I will not compromise is 30lbs down by August 1 and my large goal that I probably won't accomplish but it's the one that pushes me is 50lbs down by August 1. BTW, my plan actually started about a week ago and is going great so far!

Starting Weight: 180lbs (5/14/12)
    Current Weight: 174.4lbs (-5.6lbs)
    Small Goal: 150lbs (-30lbs)
    Large Goal: 130lbs (-50lbs)

To reach each of these goals here are my checkpoints:

Checkpoints needed to reach small goal before TTC (by 8/1/12 - 11 weeks):
    June 5th - 171lbs (-9lbs)
    June 26th - 162lbs (-18lbs)
    July 17 - 153lbs (-27lbs)
    August 1st - 150lbs (-30lbs)

Checkpoints needed to reach large goal before TTC (by 8/1/12 - 11 weeks):
    June 5th - 167lbs (-13lbs)
    June 26th - 154 (-26lbs)
    July 17th - 141 (-39lbs)
    August 1st - 130 (-50lbs)

My first true mini-check was yesterday and I was 175 (-5lb)!! So I'm right on track for my large goal ATM! As of today (weighed 174.4), I only need to lose 7.4 lbs by June 5th to be on track for my large goal.

As for my exercise goal my small goal that I won't compromise is 20-30 mins 3x per week and my large goal is 20-30 mins 5x per week. So far I'm keeping up with my small goal on that.

As for calories my small goal is 1800 calories per day with no exceptions. My large goal is 1200 calories per day with extra calories added on for exercise. So far I've kept to my large goal this whole last week!

On a side note I know it seems like a lot of weight but I've done this before and kept it off. I think part of it is because of how much I weigh the weight truly does just fall off of me. I'm super careful to eat highly nutritious foods so that I get everything my body needs and I don't let myself starve, I don't have the willpower for that, lol. I also take a daily multivitamin. It certainly feels great to see those pounds falling off, literally!
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would like to loose at least another 10kg / 22lbs in the next 3 months which will bring me within 5kg / 11lbs of my goal weight.

To achieve this I need to keep up the exercise momentum, keep making good food choices & keep logging with MFP :smile:
  • Beckyf321
    Beckyf321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student, and in the middle of C25K. I plan on running the Color Me Rad 5K this summer, and it'll be my first race ever. Good luck!
  • frameloss
    frameloss Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    By beginning of aug, I want to be 10 - 20 Pounds thinner. I have a 20 year high school reunion coming up! I was at my goal weight a few years ago prior to getting pregnant. Gained 60 when prego and then lost 40 but had a sports injury, had surgery and haven't been able to shed the last 20. I figure I would love to drop 10, being realistic, and just dress so it appears as if I lost 20 :) lol!!!!!!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    - Continue to eat clean 95% of the time.
    - Hit the gym hard as much as I can find time for.
    - Be happy with my body, FINALLY.
    - Finish Tough Mudder in one piece.