SHOULD I ADD MY HOUSEHOLD CHORES TO MY EXCERCISE?

Options
BackTatJIM
BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
Should I be adding things like mow the lawn or clean my yard to my exercise? I mean if I am off work for the day I need to make up for it by staying active so it seems pointless to add it to me..... any thoughts??

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    Options
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If it is something that is keeping you active, why not?
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always record mine, when I remember to do it.
  • baseballmom1031
    Options
    I add my housecleaning. I think I get my best workout from cleaning house.
  • momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I clean my house every Thursday, and I add my calories burned in from that.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I usually do. I think that if I am are burning calories doing it, especially if its 100+, then it counts
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    well when you start mfp and you put what kind of job you have into your settings it modifies your calorie goal for every day, but my days off I will not get the normal activity of work so I would assume I need be active on my days off or eat less calories on my day off .... maybe I am putting to much thought into this
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to?
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    No.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What is your job? I end up walking a couple miles every day, so I don't count housework in - but I do count mowing as it's a much more strenuous activity than I would ever do during a normal day (above my light activity level).
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    my activity on this is at active .. i work in a deli 5 days a week all 9 hr shifts 8 on my feet always moving
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    my activity on this is at active

Then no.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE!

I log walking my son to school back and forth several times a day, even though it's leisure.

And not only that 20 mins of vacuuming, esp the stairs, is a burner...don;t use that excuse to eat a cupcake though :D
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If I have to miss a workout to do those things (due to time restrictions), I wear my heart rate monitor and log it. Otherwise, I don't. It also depends on whether you're eating back your exercise calories or not. My calorie goal is the same everyday, exercise or not, so if I log it, it's just for personal satisfaction.

Just do what feels right for you!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Only if your calories are based on a sedentary lifestyle. If they are based on active...don't count them again.
  • heatherk21
    heatherk21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't think so.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It's the million dollar question....

My answer:

--If I was doing it before, and not losing weight, I generally don't add it. This is cooking, cleaning, mowing the lawn, etc...

--UNLESS I am unable to do a "workout" because I spent the day doing household chores. Example: If I work a 9 hour day then come home and then cook & clean (1-2 hrs), mow my lawn (2 hrs), and tend to my garden (1 hr), there is NO WAY I have time for a "normal workout" as well. So I'll take that 4-5 hours of activity and log it as an hour of lawn mowing.

This is what works for me. I generally "eat back" about half of my exercise calories.

On the flip side I have MFP pals who seem to add every single moment of anything that is not sitting at a desk or couch, and then proceed to eat every single calorie back. But honestly, we're all losing! It just seems to me like a lot of work to log "30 minutes cooking" followed by "60 minutes cleaning, light", etc....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Since you're set to "active" it would be double-dipping to add any activity that equals your normal activity level. I would only add "intentional" exercise, above and beyond your normal daily activity.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Thanks everyone I was already leaning towards not adding them. I guess since mfp has me listed as active everyday, I shouldn't have to add things I do around the house when I am off of work, without doing them I would be inactive all day.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No- that is a normal activity and not part of a work out. I never add calories burned from daily activities only calories burned from exercise.