SHOULD I ADD MY HOUSEHOLD CHORES TO MY EXCERCISE?

Options

Replies

• gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I would never add cooking or cleaning....seriously. Mowing the lawn maybe, if it's a push mower.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't unless it is much more strenous than your normal activity (since you've already said you have your setting
    at active)... Do you feel more tired after doing chores on the weekend? Are you sore? Are you a sweaty mess? If not, just
    chalk it up to your normal active lifestyle.

A better way to judge would be to wear a HRM to work and take a "picture" of your normal activity level/burn. Then wear one at
    home on the weekend. Compare to see if there is a difference.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count house work or anything like that. When I first started I did but it felt like cheating because it's things i do so regularly, that if it was a significant workout I wouldn't be the weight I was in the first place...
    also that kind of stuff is usually included in the "lifestyle" section
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!

(sorry rocking out to the foo fighters ) :drinker:
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    i would if you put sedentary or desk job perhaps. Beyond that and I think they assume that you are having spurts of activity to even out to "active" or whatever. If it goes WAY beyond your norm, you could always give yourself a bit of flex on your totals.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I count mowing the lawn and gardening because it's usually an hour of continuous movement and exertion. I only count housecleaning when we do a complete top to bottom good cleaning, not everyday keeping the house neat type of cleaning.
  • revncarmichael
    revncarmichael Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I add some types but not all. Gardening and lawn mowing I would add. I do not add housework until it is beyond my normal. I have added driving and shopping if at a mall. I honestly do not pay much attention to the "earned" calories. I try to remain between 1250 and 1500. I do a boot camp three to four times a week and do not "eat" those calories either. Maybe I should be, Any info on that folks. So far I am down 24 lbs since Feb 10. I am happy. One more pound and I make my first goal. It is coming off more slowly now and I am considering just 10 lbs for my next goal. Blessings on your day.:smile:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I believe stuff like that should be figured into your activity level. If you calculate it all, you run the risk of overestimating your calories burned.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    if it makes u sweat or pant then yes add it!! housecleaning makes me sweat!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    very off topic but how do i quote people on here? I tried before and failed miserably
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sure. Activity is activity. You burn calories one way or another. I don't add everyday light cleaning. But if it's a big cleaning day or yard day I add it.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes in your case I would not add them much.... unless you do chores after a day of working.....
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I put shovelling and chopping wood as excercise.

I figure if it takes you longer than an hour, and you work up a sweat, it counts.

Cleaning, laundry, etc doesn't count.

I don't care if anyone after me says they count, they don't.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I've never added cleaning into mine. Once I moved a lot of furniture and I did track that, but that's about it. I feel like I was cleaning before I started MFP and I was a ham then so clearly it's not a form of exercise for me so no point in adding it.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    very off topic but how do i quote people on here? I tried before and failed miserably

Look at the person's reply, in the bottom right corner of their reply box there's a report, quote and somethingiforgottoread option. Just click the quote option and BAM you're doing it like I am :P

I only add things that I don't do normally. For example: Every morning I walk my dogs 20 minutes. I don't add that cause I've always done it and always do it. But I do add my heavy duty clean I do on the weekend where I spend 4 hours scrubbing bathrooms/kitchens, moping, vacuuming and dusting like a mad woman.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Click the "quote" button on the lower right part of the comment. Then type above or below where it says [qoute] in the new window where you normally type... hope that made sense :)
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how you have your daily activity factored into your settings. If you are active at work, then no.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I track my yard work because it is really a workout but not so much my house cleaning.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Click the "quote" button on the lower right part of the comment. Then type above or below where it says [qoute] in the new window where you normally type... hope that made sense :)

tryed this before and didn't work,, maybe this time
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    haha thanks , and thanks everyone for the advice, I feal like I have a better grasp on this now