Will fruit make me gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Did the person saying that mean the sugar in it will make you gain weight? If so, that's not correct. I love fruit, and sometimes have 2-3 servings of fruit for breakfast or a snack, and I've been consistently losing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough fruit to make you fat, it has certain effects that counteract weight gain.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Fruit has a high calorie count. So if you are going over your calories with fruit by a lot then it would be possible to gain weight. However it is healthy for your and gives good nutrition to your diet. It's healthier then some other snacks, like the ones that are processed, and they don't really need anything to be added to them.

So in my opinion, if you are eating fruit in moderation and making sure you are in your calorie allowance then no fruit will not make you gain weight. (this is only an opinion)

Where does fruit have a high calorie content?

A little confused by this because oranges (large) are 70, apples are 70 to 80...... this is not high calories.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ive heard this before so im very confused on it
    I love snacking on fruit so what is everyones opinion on this??

I eat anything from two to five pieces per day. No it will not be the fruit that will make me gain weight.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well, there is low glycemic fruit (low sugar fruit) and high glycemic fruit. The high glycemic fruit is the kind you want to avoid when trying to lose weight (pineapple, mangoes, bananas). Low glycemic fruit like apples and berries are perfect for a healthy diet, and are lower on calories as well. (I got this info from Doctor Oz. There's tons of great advice on his site.) Hope this helps. :)
  • awaybirdiesweep
    Options
    I am a student at a university right now and when we talked about high fructose corn syrup...There are a lot of studies that study fructose only...which is high in some fruits...so, that the studies concern fructose is relevant to your question (though they are not very relevant to high fructose corn syrup because high fructose corn syrup is actually approximately half fructose, half glucose). If you look on google scholar you can probably find some quality scientific studies regarding this, I have seen many. Here is an explanation from livestrong.com http://www.livestrong.com/article/319093-fructose-diet/ fructose reportedly contributes to insulin resistance and increases triglyceride levels. There are fruits that are lower in fructose though. As long as you are tracking your calories and you are at or under the recommended amount of calories, then it shouldn't make a difference. I like carrying fruit with me sometimes, like if I went to a going away party last week for someone at work and I ate that while everyone ate cake, in that instance it certainly was very helpful and was a healthy alternative. I personally don't worry about fruit, I love it too, but I do think it is definitely better to eat more vegetables than fruits.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eat all the fruit you want. It's quite filling for the low amount of calories in it. As long as you don't abuse bananas (more than approx 3 per day), then there is no way that you're going to gain weight by eating too much fruit.

Fruit does have fructose. So, if you get into single digit body fat percentages (i.e., are a professional model or body builder), then maybe you'll want to limit the amount of higher fructose fruit that you eat. But unless you're a professional swim suit model with a 9% body fat percentage, then you really don't have to worry about the sugar in fruits.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you eat over your TDEE.

/thread.