have you lost weight *without* clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump oops didnt know my post above was added,Sorry!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight eating the stuff that I love. Do I eat less of it? Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, there are foods I no longer eat but I don't eat them because they don't make me feel good when I do. I still eat stuff out of boxes, I eat stuff out of cans. I work full time, have two teenagers and a life... I don't want to work til 5 or 6pm and then have to come home and come up with some delicious homemade dinner. Add in that I am a sweet a holic who refuses to give up her daily cookies.

I am very healthy (my blood work and other tests are "excellent") AND I enjoy my life. That is what a "lifestyle change" is supposed to be about.. eating less, eating better but still enjoying life.

Do what works for YOU.

I agree!!!
    I did the same thing lol.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did before when I did WW...in the basic sense the premise is calories in / calories out...It has been proven that one could eat twinkies or McDonalds every day and as long as you have a calorie deficit you will loose weight...I ate a lot processed and packaged crappy food on WW and lost weight...I gained most of it back...

That being said I do eat clean because it provides my body better access to what it NEEDS to properly function without the impediament of chemicals, dyes, frankenfood...not to say I don't occasionally partake in those things, but it is an abberation and not the norm. I have found FOR MYSELF that by eating clean, whole foods I get more food for my calorie bang so easy to fill up and not be hungry. I have found that FOR MYSELF in order to loose weight calories in - calories out is a small factor inthe bigger picture - I have to really watch my carbs and sugars to loose weight - so i would surmise I could eat anything as long as I stayed within my calorie goals and it was lower in carbs and sugars, but I choose to do all that and eat (fairly) clean

But like others said you can loose weight and not eat clean...hence why slimfast and "diet" foods are a multi-million $$$ business. Every person is going to be different - one person may thrive on eating one type of style and shed a bunch of weight, while another person doing the same thing barely budges...Do what works for you and what you are happy with....
  • lchovet
    lchovet Posts: 68
    Options
    Try increasing your protien intake. That's what got me over my last Plateau.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy most of the time, but I'd go bat *kitten* crazy trying to eat as "clean" as some advocate. Food is meant to be enjoyed *in moderation* and if practicing that moderation means I get to have a little fun with life, but take a little longer to reach my goal, then so be it.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Other than drastically reducing fried foods, I don't eat so-called "clean". I eat what I can get and monitor calories, get some exercise, and drink plenty of water. So far it's been working.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    From ~290-250 was eating nothing but fast/junk food. No exercise. The only difference was switching from regular to diet soda.

Felt like crap all the time and had no energy. But I lost weight.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This man did it...caused a HUGE uproar in the Dieting community. Truth be told he made a wonderful point about portion control.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I have lost weight eating crap...I have lost weight not eating crap. I have gained eating both LOL.

Denise
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Check the sodium content on the cans of veggies you eat. Some are high in sodium and will cause you to retain water. I am on a budget and clean eating can be more expensive if you shop at the grocery store. Try to find a farmers market or produce stand near you. I just spent 9.50 on a weeks worth of fresh veggies and fruit. Heads of lettuce were only $.59, corn was $.10 and berries were around $1.00. Hope this helps

Wow, that's impressive. In the UK Farmers' Markets are synonymous with ruinously expensive.

Fortunately my local street market has great fruit and veg at a very cheap price.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Other than drastically reducing fried foods, I don't eat so-called "clean". I eat what I can get and monitor calories, get some exercise, and drink plenty of water. So far it's been working.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm trying to eat "cleaner" but I don't have the time or money to eat completely "clean." My main goal is to eat healthier- cutting out fried foods and foods high in "bad fat." And of course- drink lots of water and exercise! A lot of people just cut back on what they're eating- still eating fatty, fried food- just in smaller portions. Trust me, I tried this...because who wouldn't want to diet like that? But I didn't like the results. I was always very hungry and lost (maybe) a few lbs, but I was "skinny fat." Only like 113lbs, but flabby.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    down 20# as of today, and our kitchen is being rebuilt, the stove just got plugged in last night, for the first time in 2+ months, and the microwave is still not got a plug yet, and since there is no sink yet anyways, can't cook if we can't clean up after, soooooooo, for the last 2+ months, virtually every meal has been fast food.
  • jts10
    jts10 Posts: 37
    Options
    Eating clean really comes into play when you're trying to tone. I didn't eat very clean in the beginning and lost close to 20lbs. After that, when I got to the point of just really needing to tone, I couldn't do anything. Once I switched to clean eating I saw a HUGE difference.. that and now I feel a whole lot better.

Make sure you're eating enough. That was the issue with me at first. When you switch to mostly veggies/fruits/nuts/seeds/beans, etc. it's a lot harder to get up to the caloric rate you should be. Maybe log for a bit while you eat clean to make sure you're taking in enough to support your body. That, and it's good to log your protein (but make sure it's not too much!)

Good luck!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like....I just eat less of it.
    I eat in moderation.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My usual daily diet (or close to it)

Breakfast:
    2 boiled eggs with Frank's Red Hot sauce
    Medium ice latte with skim milk and 2 sugars

Lunch:
    Campbell's tomato soup at hand (25% less sodium)
    Cucumbers

Snacks:
    Chili & Lime blue diamond almonds
    Special K Fruit Crisps
    Fruit (watermelon lately)
    Yo crunch strawberry with granola
    Cracker chips with frank's red hot sauce

Dinner:
    Chicken breast (or some other lean meat) with BBQ sauce, A1 sauce, or some other flavoring
    Vegetable
    Starch (brown rice, wheat pasta, potato, etc.)

Snack:
    Skinny Cow milk chocolate bar
    Fruit (strawberries lately, or mango)
    Cracker chips
    If I have extra calories, I'll have another treat or 2

This has been pretty much my diet for the past 5 months, and in those five months I have steadily lost 45 lbs. I don't believe all the hub ub about you can't lose without clean eating, because that just was not true for me!!
  • messe_jesse
    messe_jesse Posts: 16
    Options
    I've lost 18 lbs in the last two months and I've been eating the same foods I always have. I'm just eating less of them and trying to keep my caloric intake below 1600 per day. So far so good.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    It's not easy to eat clean, I try to eat cleanER but I don't deprive myself! Love my sweets :heart:

Good luck!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    definitely. that's me. I try to make healthy choices, but many things I eat are downright dirty, ha.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I try to eat cleaner, but eating NO processed foods whatsoever is difficult for me. I lost 70 lbs in 7 months eating what I did at my heaviest, just working out and consuming a lot less. That being said, I do eat a LOT more fruits and veggies these days (3-5 servings).
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My eating wasn't necessarily the 'cleanest'...but I still managed to lose weight by counting calories.
    I could definitely clean up a lot more...
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat everything that I feel like eating. Sometimes I eat very clean, other times not. I've lost 34 lbs and kept it off for 3 years now. That said, right now I'm not that focused, so weight loss has stalled.

There's another way of looking at your weight loss...that you've successfully maintained for a year. I read recently (wish I could find the research) that weight loss is not a linear thing -- I'll try to find the article and post here.

Keep at it. I have about 100 lbs to go (even 50 would be excellent), so I hear you!