have you lost weight *without* clean eating?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Skinny does NOT equal healthy. Simple equation for WEIGHT LOSS is eat less energy than you burn. Equation for HEALTH is much more complicated, and the results are well worth the effort to learn and effect that change.

But alternatively, going from obese to fit, even with a relatively crappy diet, will typically result in greatly improved health markers. So while I agree with you, I would also say that going from obese to lean is probably the biggest thing one can do to positively impact health.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat pretty damn "un-clean". I'm a mother of 3, a grad student, have a part time job and a husband who works a weird work schedule. I can't feed myself or my children without "convenience" foods.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Skinny does NOT equal healthy. Simple equation for WEIGHT LOSS is eat less energy than you burn. Equation for HEALTH is much more complicated, and the results are well worth the effort to learn and effect that change.

But alternatively, going from obese to fit, even with a relatively crappy diet, will typically result in greatly improved health markers. So while I agree with you, I would also say that going from obese to lean is probably the biggest thing one can do to positively impact health.
    I *love* that you said lean instead of skinny.

Being obese puts massive amounts of stress on your body and puts you at risk for many diseases.
    You can lose weight eating 1200 calories worth of twinkies, and a lot of the strain on your body from being obese will lessen, but losing weight by eating 1600 calories (random number - not a magic formula) worth of nutritious food will benefit you greatly.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a myth, I lost without it.

The only thing that science has conclusively shown to be unclean are high carb beverages (soda, sports drinks, juice). Our bodies do not recognize carb-only liquid calories as calories yet it still has most hormonal effects, thus it has the double whammy of actually making you hungrier while sending no signals to you that you have taken in calories. Even a candy bar or cake is at least recognized by the body as food with a calorie content and thus you will get full from the calories.

If anything is unclean it is fried foods, however you just have to realize that the caloric content is through the roof and plan accordingly.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    <--- I got this eating hamburgers, pizza, steak, and chocolate. Calories in/calories out. Easy peasy.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm conscious of where what I eat is coming from, but I don't believe in eating "clean". I don't believe in cutting out meat and dairy from my diet. In fact, if I was going to eat clean, my entire diet would be gone!

And then of course I would lose a lot of weight.

And dwindle into nothing.

I eat chicken and eggs and ham. I drink milk. I eat canned corn with my fajitas. I still lose weight. I try to eat LESS meat, perhaps. I try to sometimes eat vegetarian to mix things up a little.

But cutting it out? No way.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It would be very unusual if your weight loss slowed because you started eating healthier lol. after 25 lbs its normal to slow down and plateau for a while. Thats the pattern of weight loss. Keep eating healthy! There are reasons beyond the number on the scale. And to those people who say they cant afford to eat healthy...just do some research. There are millions of resources. Eating healthy doesnt mean you have to buy everything from whole foods. If I can do it as a broke *kitten* college student you probably can do it too.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Also there are political and environmental reasons to eat clean.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat a Hershey bar almost EVERY day. :) 10 pounds down in 40 days. I am in this for the long haul. One day at a time.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Never really bothered with whatever people try to call "clean" eating. I watch my calories and keep an eye on my macros as well as I care to. I've lost weight and built muscle and feel better than I've ever felt.

The "processed foods are the debil" crowd carries no water with me. Too much teeth gnashing about "chemicals" from people with no understanding of what they're talking about.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    ive lost 7lbs without it, and my meaning of clean eatting is eatting healty.. ive eat what i want and lost but im fixing to start eatting healthy to lose more
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I wash my food daily.

Works for me. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Something like pasta is a cheap, easy and not terribly nutritionally dense food... but, other than college kids eating Ramen noodles, who eats plain pasta?

I eat pasta regularly, with a tomato sauce, some kind of meat protein, some cheese, and a handful of veggies (sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen). I don't see how 200 calories from pasta out of my daily 2000 is going to make a colossal difference in my health.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    <---- cannot commit to clean eating. Still losing weight.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of wonderful food allergies/sensitivities (ironically, the much-maligned wheat is not among them, but virtually every green vegetable, legume, and many fruits are). Needless to say, eating "clean" obscenely annoying for me. After much experimentation, I can say that, for me at least, eating clean is not necessary. It DOES produce slightly better results, probably due to the superior thermic effect of food that most whole foods have. You can accomplish the same thing by eating a lot of lean meats (top sirloin is my favorite). The difference is somewhere around 10% as best I have been able to determine, so just keep in mind that eating junk gives you roughly 10% more usable calories than "real" food. Caloric intake and Macronutrient composition are the most important things. Eating "clean" was frustrating for me, and my first rule of fitness is that if something is unduly frustrating, sticking to it long-term is hard. Adherence is the most important element of any diet.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I wash my food daily.

Works for me. :)

Made me giggle :) Listen to him. Look at his ticker. It clearly works.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    <--- I got this eating hamburgers, pizza, steak, and chocolate. Calories in/calories out. Easy peasy.

And vodka! Don't forget the vodka!

*puts cheese on the hamburger*

:glasses:
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    All that really matters is calories. As a general rule, yes processed foods tend to have more calories, fat and SODIUM than plain veggies or cooking from scratch, so one tends to lose weight when giving up those things but there isn't any magical weight loss property about it.

I do a blend, I'm trying to cook at home both for health and to save money. But I'm not afraid to use a jar of pasta sauce to save time. To me it's usually not worth it to make things like that from scratch, but I am cooking myself for the most part.No hamburger helper or anything like that, just little cheats here and there.

Maybe now that you're eating cleaner you are upping your portion sizes thinking it's ok since you're eating clean to make up for it?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    After reading the comments on this forum, I now realize how much bad stuff I am NOT eating. I no longer eat:

Canned food like soups, veggies (except for canned corn and low sodium tomatoes), pastas, fruits.

Fried anything.

Regular bread (I now eat Healthy Life 35 cal. whole wheat bread or whole wheat buns)

Cereal, pre-packaged sugar added oatmeal (I eat whole grain oatmeal with fruit instead)

Regular microwave popcorn. (I do on occasion have 100 cal popcorn as a treat but I don't like the sodium content)

Ice cream, pie, cakes, candy (I now have lower cal frozen treats like Schwanns orange cream bars 70 cals or fruit bars)

Potato chips, corn chips, cheetos, Funyuns (If I crave chips I'll have the 50% less cal. Lays fried in Olestra but just one serving)

There are more and I could keep going but I won't. lol

Thanks for opening my eyes. I hadn't even realized how well I was doing. Yay! lol
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    I still eat what I want just smaller portions because if you deprive yourself of the foods you love then you are going to crave them and over eat them when you do get them. I watch my calorie intake daily and always stay at or below and work out 5 times a week