Your running uniform

Options
julieh391
julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
I'm wondering what everyone wears when they go for a run outside. It seems like most people listen to music, but the thought of not hearing the things going on around me kinda freaks me out. I've also seen that some people carry pepper spray for dogs (or creeps probably.) What clothes do you wear? A hat? Sunglasses? What kind of shoes (I know I need to get fitted, just curious?) I'm on week 3 of C25K and looking forward to running outside after I get to running longer stretches at a time (I'm on my treadmill now.) Just trying to get a sense of what I might want to wear when I brave the great outdoors. Also, don't you get thirsty?? I sip water while I'm on my treadmill but can't imagine I'd want to carry water on an outdoor run. Any tips for a novice runner would be great.

Replies

• rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 (for the third time) of C25K and just did my 2nd outdoor run last night. I didn't have a stellar experience, but it could be just a poor choice in running location (along a trail that runs by a canal). I was swarmed by bugs! I would have appreciated a face mask! lol!

I just wear long athletic pants (warm ups, if you will) and a t-shirt. I found on the treadmill, that shorts ride up between my legs, and I was constantly pulling them back down.

I also bought an arm band carrier for my cell phone, where my C25K Pro app is. I also downloaded RunKeeper onto my phone so I knew how far I was going, my pace, etc. I wear my HRM too.

I don't drink water during my run. I get cramps if I do. I just make sure to drink enough all day before my run, and replenish afterwards. I think 30-45 mins without sips of water is tolerable.

Hope this helps, and happy running!!

ETA: Oh shoes - I have Saucony Grid Cohesions - I love them!!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I run with an iPod if I'm on a route I know well and it's a short run.

In the summer, I run in Nike shorts, a tech T or tank, Moving Comfort sports bra, Sweaty Bands hat, and sunglasses (assuming I'm running during the day).

My short runs (less than 8 miles) are run in Saucony Kinvara 2. My long runs are in Brooks Launch.

I have a Fuel Belt if I need water for my long runs. For short runs I try to plan routes with water fountains.

Good luck with C25k, it's a good program and will give you a solid base for running.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wear a tech shirt with a reflective strip in the back
    Basketball shorts
    Saucony Kinvara 2 running shoes
    Headphones and ipod shuffle
    Small bottle of water in my hand
    Stopwatch in my pocket or around my neck

I run at night typically which makes it easy to see cars so the music in my ears is no biggie. The cars can't see me as well, but I'd rather avoid them than vice versa, them avoid me. Headlights make it easy to keep track of all the moving cars in the area (I run through residential neighborhoods).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Ascics, cushy socks, shorts and a tank or tee (weather permitting) SPIbelt for phone and music, house key on a carabiner clipped to my belt, ID tag on a necklace, and sunscreen.

If it's a long run on a hot day, I'll wear a hydration belt with a water bottle.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    From top to bottom

hat (if it is raining)
    sunglasses (if it is sunnY)
    tech shirt or tank
    good quality bra
    garmin
    running short
    running socks
    running shoes
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just dress comfortably and for the weather. Definitely make sure you get some shoes that are right for you though.

There are a million things you CAN get, ie GPS devices, compression tights, astro glide, utility belts, different types of socks, shorts, shirts, etc. Save your money until you actually need something.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Bondi Band to keep my head phones in place and my hair out of my eyes. Ipod. Sunglasses. Hydration Belt. LCP. Compression tights or shorts with compression knee socks, Tank top in summer. Some type of gu or carbs on runs longer than 7 miles. And.... my garmin 405.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I wear fitted athletic capris since I don't like the shorts riding up and/or feeling like everyone can see my cellulite bouncing around as I jog :) I also wear either a tank top or t-shirt. Nothing too fitted or I find I end up concentrating more on sucking my stomach in than working out.

If I'm outside I wear sunglasses. They keep me from sprinting and also from having to make awkward eye contact with other runners/walking and with cars (I know that sounds stupid....but I always go through "Do I make eye contact with the driver coming my way? Or do i blankly stare straight ahead?)

If I'm running outside and near traffic I don't wear an ipod so I can hear approaching vehicles, but otherwise I wear one.

If it's been a rough morning I wear a hat as well. And I bought one of those stretchy wrist bands with an extra key on it that I slap on so I don't have to hold anything.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    And plenty of sunscreen!! Can't forget that!

I know too many runners who have never laid out or used tanning beds, but end up with skin cancer because they ran outside all the time and never thought to protect themselves with sun screen.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    During the summer I wear running shorts and a tank. My running shoes are Saucony Progrid.

I carry water for anything over 1 hour... 45 minutes in high humidity. I have honey stingers for runs over 7 miles.

I only take my Ipod for long runs (6 miles+). I put one earbud in so I can hear my surroundings.

I always wear my Garmin.

I wear sunglasses whenever I run after sunrise. My eyes are super sensitive to sunlight.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For my short runs (7 miles or less) I wear a BondiBand, Ascics running shoes, running socks, running shorts, sports bra, running tank and my Garmin watch (and HRM strap). I don't listen to music when I run. I run early in the morning so I like to watch the sunrise and listen to nature wakeup instead. I also wear an armband that carries my phone (I only carry it for in case of emergency).

For my long runs (8 miles or more) same as above except I lose the armband and add my hydration belt (it has 2 10 oz. water bottles). My midrun snack and phone go in the pouch of my hydration belt.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    What functions does the Garmin have?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    What functions does the Garmin have?
    They are all a little different, but generally they keep track of all of your stats. You can check you speed, distance, elevation change etc, some of them have heart rate monitors. It makes it easier to log your runs and keep track of your progress.
    Mine has a function where I can set up a route I usually take, then it will remember my best time and I can essentially race against myself. Kinda fun.

But these days I just run, just me and the dog and some music. I don't like all of the other distractions.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The garmin give pace and distance. Depending on the type it can also record heartrate.

I wear.....

Visor to keep the sun off my nose and sweat out of my eyes
    Sun glasses
    Ipod shuffle for music (if I am on the roads I only use 1 earbud)
    Technical T or tanks (wicks sweat away)
    Road ID (has emergency numbers on it)
    Watch with stop watch (I am getting a garmin for my birthday)
    Running shorts
    Thin socks
    Brooks ghosts
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am partial to the Brooks HVAC shirts. For shorts I have a variety of running shorts that I have from the local running store. I have several pairs of the exact same socks (blue thorlo experia) so finding a matching pair isn't a problem. I usually wear sunglasses and sunscreen and since I run on a trail I have no problems with using an iPod nano. I also use a Nike+ GSP watch.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what everyone wears when they go for a run outside. It seems like most people listen to music, but the thought of not hearing the things going on around me kinda freaks me out. I've also seen that some people carry pepper spray for dogs (or creeps probably.) What clothes do you wear? A hat? Sunglasses? What kind of shoes (I know I need to get fitted, just curious?) I'm on week 3 of C25K and looking forward to running outside after I get to running longer stretches at a time (I'm on my treadmill now.) Just trying to get a sense of what I might want to wear when I brave the great outdoors. Also, don't you get thirsty?? I sip water while I'm on my treadmill but can't imagine I'd want to carry water on an outdoor run. Any tips for a novice runner would be great.
    I take:

Hat
    Sunglasses - they block more than just sun, can keep bugs, rain, blowing dust out of the eyes
    HRM
    iPhone in an armband with Runkeeper app, sometimes headphones
    Tech tee or tank top
    Shorts or capris - can't do traditional running shorts, most of them tend to bunch
    Sunscreen
    Knife that clips to my shorts
    Asics trail shoes

I don't carry water - my runs are usually 4 miles at the most right now, so I don't bring any.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am a college track coach and have seen a lot of different choices on distance runs. Also, I have gone through phases of different things. I personally do not like to go on a run holding water bottles (even if they are in a belt). Even when I was going out for 10 mi runs. What I used to do, however, was go to either the beach or the park and leave my water in the car for when I got back. If you need water, it is personal to you. Actually all of this is personal to you. A little known fact as well about sneakers. Do not go to a ****s or a Sports Authority. Go to a running shoe store. Talk to the sales people there because 9 times out of 10 they will be runners themselves and be able to properly fit you to the correct shoe (and stay away from Nikes to run distance in). I prefer to run in spandex (years of gymnastics and college track got me used to them). I also will run in either a hat or a good sporty pair of sunglasses. I always have SPF on, but be careful what you put on your face, you don't want it running into your eyes. Another SUPER important thing is a really good sports bra (assuming you are a female). I am more endowed and have fallen in love with an underarmor bra that is a zip up. I normally wear 2 when I run (one underneath with cups to hold them in place, and another super tight one on top). Even if you have smaller boobs, you should be wearing a well fit sports bra. Again, whatever is good for you personally. I don't really run with headphones in. If you are on the roads, I would stay away from them. I will also bring my phone with me and tissues.

Hope this helps :)
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just wear my sports bra, nike loose top, fitted pants, running socks and my asics running trainers. I dont have any pockets, so i put my house key on a bobble around my wrist haha. Ill take a water bottle with me if i go far.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, crucial things are:
    - good underwear (no riding, no chafing, etc)
    - good socks
    - good shoes
    - ID

After that:
    - comfortable shorts (running shorts are good, but regular athletic/workout shorts work too most of the time)
    - comfortable shirt (polyester/wicking materials are nice, but a basic cotton T works too)

Accessories, based on your preference:
    - sunglasses
    - hat
    - music
    - sunscreen
    - phone
    - food/water

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Pretty much in my profile pic. Some modest shorts I got from RoadRunner, my Nike Zoom Structures, a Nike Dri-Fit t-shirt, my NB armband for my iphone, Yurbuds, and if it's sunny, my sunglasses. I carry only the key for my car.

I desperately need to remember sunscreen. I hate tanning and am getting WAY too dark. I'll take pasty white, thank you!