101 WAYS TO TORCH FAT FAST...Long post

Options
13»

Replies

• 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The key point here is that a lot of those are myths or just flat out wrong. The 'negativity' is people pointing that out. Misinformation can be pretty damaging. A lot of people think the information on this forum is trustworthy and might therefore take it at face value. That's why it bothers me. We NEED to question this stuff to ensure good quality advice is shared.

Fact is that if you mix total BS in with stuff that might actually be useful, no-one will believe any of it. Imagine if I wrote a car maintenance manual that started out by saying that replacing the oil with mineral water will prolong the engine! It wouldn't matter if the rest of the advice was good, you'd disregard the book as bunkum.

The tip about 'warm muscles work better' is an example of potential harm. Someone could easily cause them-self to overheat or dehydrate as a result.
    Also, remember that correlation doesn't imply causation. As with the lovely bread example above, just because you do a thing and lose weight, doesn't mean that thing caused weight loss.

Notice how none of the 'facts' give any source for the research or even explain exactly HOW they are supposed to work.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My momma always told me...if ya can't say something nice......(well...you get the gist. )

That is, importantly, about giving opinions. Science doesn't work like that!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The key point here is that a lot of those are myths or just flat out wrong. The 'negativity' is people pointing that out. Misinformation can be pretty damaging. A lot of people think the information on this forum is trustworthy and might therefore take it at face value. That's why it bothers me. We NEED to question this stuff to ensure good quality advice is shared.

Fact is that if you mix total BS in with stuff that might actually be useful, no-one will believe any of it. Imagine if I wrote a car maintenance manual that started out by saying that replacing the oil with mineral water will prolong the engine! It wouldn't matter if the rest of the advice was good, you'd disregard the book as bunkum.

The tip about 'warm muscles work better' is an example of potential harm. Someone could easily cause them-self to overheat or dehydrate as a result.
    Also, remember that correlation doesn't imply causation. As with the lovely bread example above, just because you do a thing and lose weight, doesn't mean that thing caused weight loss.

Notice how none of the 'facts' give any source for the research or even explain exactly HOW they are supposed to work.

^^well said!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    there's plenty of good stuff in this, the problem is that the very first tip is
    1Eat six small meals a day. Stoking your body with food every three to four hours can rev your metabolism to the max.

which is total BS, then we get to
    4Throw on a hoodie before working out. When your muscles are warm, you actually burn more calories.

which is just ****ing hilarious.

Some of the tips after that are great, but when the article starts with complete BS people are just going to laugh, not the read the rest and not take any of it seriously

that's exactly what happened with me. after the first few i stopped reading

as for the person asking about greek yogurt. mix your avocado with the greek yogurt. it makes a great dip for veggies.
  • diamondtransform
    diamondtransform Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    these are some really good tips!! thanx :-)
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump

some good stuff here, mixed with a little questionable stuff.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Well if somebody gets something useful, its worth posting...