Worst advice given to you by a "professional"

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have had problems using the restroom in the past and I went to see my doctor about it. The doc told me that I needed to develop a pattern and concentrate. She said something to the effect of, "You need to go on the toilet with no distractions at the same time of the day and think......I need to poo, I need to poo." Yeah, needless to say that has yet to work.

You haven't pooped since?
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    that is so crazy bs that he said to you has he even watch the marthon races on tv it always people male and female from kenya other parts of that country.

Continent. "...Kenya and other parts of that continent."
  • ElBo58
    ElBo58 Posts: 44
    Options
    When I wanted to go off of Effexor (anti depressant) my then-doc told me to go off of it cold-turkey. After the first day I was a little dizzy. By the second day I thought I was going to die.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    NON-diet-nutrition-fitness related:

A MORTGAGE loan officer told us to buy the most expensive house we can afford because you will get raises every year! Thank God we didn't take her advice. We ended up going with what we felt comfortable with and actually had some money left to pay for repairs! Her advice would have had us being "HOUSE POOR" doing our dishes and clothes by hand under leaky roofs.

A FOOT DOCTOR recommended that he should remove my whole toe nail bed because I had one ingrown toenail. He said once you have one, it will be reoccurring. Luckily, I opted for him to just remove the ingrown part. I've never gotten one back and still have a toe nail.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    A trainer at my gym told me that to slim down 15 lbs that I needed to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about calories or portions but just to make sure I was getting plenty of protein. And then add weight lifting. Um, two months later I had gained eight lbs. yes, weight lifted was good but I was bulking when I really wanted to get smaller.

My *old*physician also told me that to lose 15 lbs I should try the HCG injections and a 500 calorie/day diet. $1,500 later I found another physician.

What's the worst advice you've ever gotten from someone who should clearly know better???

My endocrinologist asked me what my current plan was because she didn't think I was losing weight fast enough. I was doing 8 hours of cardio a week (Zumba and TurboKick) and eating 2000-2200 calories. She said I needed to eat less. I had previously been eating 1800-2000 calories and was having dizzy spells during classes because I wasn't eating enough. She said I should never be eating more than 1500 calories. I said no way.

She looked at me and said "You need to work out less so you can eat less." I stared at her for a good 3 minutes before requesting a referral to a nutritionist.

this terrible advice is so wrong it made me bust out laughing! Glad you know not to listen to them!
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take ephedra! lol I was like.. ummm isnt that bad for you? He told me I was young and my body could handle it. I prefer not to risk it. Some dr,s are STUPID others are great.
  • rosewatershay
    rosewatershay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    128 lbs ago when my Dr told me to get gastric bypass. When I asked her if I should try it the traditional way first (cause truth be told I hadn't) she said "girls like you don't lose weight without surgery" guess I proves that theory wrong!

I'm hoping to prove that theory wrong also :-)
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me I would 'lucky" to be at least 10 pounds over weight
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Back in the dark ages when I was a teenager and looking to lose weight my family Dr. gave me diet pills. They didn't help me lose weight, but .... Whhhhheeeeee!!!!

Oh my gosh that made me laugh!

At my 6 week OB checkup after having my first baby I told my doctor that I was having a hard time breast feeding. She said "then you should quit. When I have kids I am not going to spend one day breast feeding...that's what formula is for!"

Yea, I really appreciated the encouragement:/