Worst advice given to you by a "professional"

A trainer at my gym told me that to slim down 15 lbs that I needed to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about calories or portions but just to make sure I was getting plenty of protein. And then add weight lifting. Um, two months later I had gained eight lbs. yes, weight lifted was good but I was bulking when I really wanted to get smaller.

My *old*physician also told me that to lose 15 lbs I should try the HCG injections and a 500 calorie/day diet. $1,500 later I found another physician.

What's the worst advice you've ever gotten from someone who should clearly know better???

Replies

• amber_gem
    amber_gem Posts: 23 Member
    I've had several trainers keep having me lift heavy weight on my bottom half or do tons of squats with weights even after me saying repeatedly, from my experience, that area will just get bigger. It's like they only know one formula and they expect it to work for everyone. As for doctors, I'm not sure it's so much bad advice as much as it's all contradictory advice. I've been told to do tons of intense cardio on one hand to being told, just do some walking and you'll be fine by another doc.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    I've had several trainers keep having me lift heavy weight on my bottom half or do tons of squats with weights even after me saying repeatedly, from my experience, that area will just get bigger. It's like they only know one formula and they expect it to work for everyone. As for doctors, I'm not sure it's so much bad advice as much as it's all contradictory advice. I've been told to do tons of intense cardio on one hand to being told, just do some walking and you'll be fine by another doc.

I know. It can get incredibly confusing!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    My pediatrician told me to cut down on the amount of salad dressing I was using to lose weight. At that point, I didn't even eat salad! And I have NEVER used more than 2T of dressing on anything. Gross.
  • moe5474
    I also once had a trainer tell me to do the master cleanse. I only lasted 3 days
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Pretty much all diet advice ever given to me by a trainer. It's not their fault, though, they seem to be incapable of wrapping their heads around my goals.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    delete
  • mandacloye
    mandacloye Posts: 26 Member
    I have been fortunate on the advice end of things. I would encourage each of you to know your own body. I "listen" to what mine tells me and work with it instead of against it. Talk to LOTS of people in the fields you want help with and be willing to at least try things. Once YOU know what won't work for you, stick with what does. We are uniquely and wonderfully made. I personally WON'T do gyms. I have nothing agasint them, that is just not my personality. I will however walk many miles in one day, kayak, ride a bike.....so I do those things. I am loosing slowly and feel so much better for it. KEEP GOING PEOPLE! (big grin) We are gonna get there.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Upon joining the gym I attend, they asked me to meet with a trainer and get a fitness assessment and complimentary training session. The trainer did all my stats and asked me what my goals were. He then told me that I could never slim down enough to look like fitness athlete because I'm 5'9" and a mesomorph, and then that actually, I could, but I'd hate myself for it.

Talk to me after my first fitness photoshoot, you goober.
  • A trainer at my gym told me that to slim down 15 lbs that I needed to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about calories or portions but just to make sure I was getting plenty of protein. And then add weight lifting. Um, two months later I had gained eight lbs. yes, weight lifted was good but I was bulking when I really wanted to get smaller.

My *old*physician also told me that to lose 15 lbs I should try the HCG injections and a 500 calorie/day diet. $1,500 later I found another physician.

What's the worst advice you've ever gotten from someone who should clearly know better???

My endocrinologist asked me what my current plan was because she didn't think I was losing weight fast enough. I was doing 8 hours of cardio a week (Zumba and TurboKick) and eating 2000-2200 calories. She said I needed to eat less. I had previously been eating 1800-2000 calories and was having dizzy spells during classes because I wasn't eating enough. She said I should never be eating more than 1500 calories. I said no way.

She looked at me and said "You need to work out less so you can eat less." I stared at her for a good 3 minutes before requesting a referral to a nutritionist.
  • A doctor gave me a serious complex when i was 17, weighed 135lbs at 5"4 and told me I was 15lbs over weight....Uhhh...that's a helathy BMI and back then I was mostly muscle...What the heck?!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Two things I have been told

First was a trainer who told me that weight loss based on Calories in and Calorie Defict was obsolete...and hiring him, he would tell me how to really lose weight.

Second was a trainer who gave me a nutrition plan that had me eating sweet potaotes 3 times a day. Yeah...way too many carbs for my fat butt.

Denise
  • moe5474
    A doctor gave me a serious complex when i was 17, weighed 135lbs at 5"4 and told me I was 15lbs over weight....Uhhh...that's a helathy BMI and back then I was mostly muscle...What the heck?!

I once had a nurse weigh me and then say "whoa I didnt know you weighed that much. Don't worry , you don't look it. I guess it's bc you're tall."

Backhanded compliment much? Btw at the time I only weight 143 at 5'9 :(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Aim for 5 sets of 25 with 5 lb dumbbells to lengthen your arm muscles.

DIAF.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I had a Dr. tell me in order to get my cholesterol numbers down I should avoid eating so much red meat and watch my fat intake...ummm i hadn't touched the stuff for 6 months because i had been brainwashed into the "low fat" "diet bars/cereal/frozen meal" lifestyle....

I read and read and read and started eating tons of good fats - including red meat - and my cholesterol numbers went down quite a bit and my good HDL went flying upward....
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    A trainer once told me I should hit my abs 3-4 times a week at high reps :laugh:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    My Dr. told me not to bother with vitamins... that I get enough of it in my foods. While that could be true for many ppl there is no way I get all my nutrients from food.

My old trainer was awesome, he took me out for froyo after our sessions sometimes :D Cant beat that! lol
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    A so-called nutritionist put me on a diet of about 200g of protein per day with no carbs, I was allowed a tiny whole wheat roll if I absolutely needed it. After 2 weeks of being a clutzy braindead zombie l I finally came to my senses and stopped seeing her.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Aim for 5 sets of 25 with 5 lb dumbbells to lengthen your arm muscles.

DIAF.
    lol.

A trainer at my gym tells me I should go to another site where they have a smith machine to do my squats. My Dr. is better actually, and we had a lengthy discussion on rep ranges, percieved weight (heavy/light) and the benefits of lean mass conversation. He's not a believer in BMI and has a little chart up above his desk that states what calorie intake people should be having to lose weight at a reasonable rate - he had someone my height and weight at 2500, so only a little lower than what I set myself. Seems I always read about US doctors recommending 1200/500 cal diets :P
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    My primary doc. told me to just go low-carb, her example being "have a wrap instead of a regular sandwich." Come to find out the wraps I was eating were 350 calories each, while 2 slices of my regular bread were 80 calories each... awesome.

She also told me to use 5lb weights for 5 minutes a day. Pretty sure that won't get the job done.

*sigh* not trying to bash Doctors, I think mine was just not prepared for someone who actually WANTS to dedicate themselves to weight-loss, so she gave a generic, quick-fix answer... probably thinking, the fatty will probably stay a fatty anyway no matter what I tell her.
  • I was told I had stage 5 cancer when I didn't.