Worst advice given to you by a "professional"

Replies

• leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    i was 19 and overweight. i went to my primary physician with a sprained jaw.
    his response to my complaint about how difficult it was to eat:

"oh good, maybe you will lose some weight then!"

yep, thats definitely the advice to give to a teen with a history of eating disorders.
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    I had a doctor tell me that my shooting chest pains were from new shoes
    .. even though I hadn't bought new shoes.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I was admitted into hospital approx 10x, was on constant morphine and my blood pressure was so low I was on 100% bed rest. My liver function tests were extremely low. Doctors said it was infection in my gall bladder and I had to have 6 weeks infection free to have it removed. I never lasted that long.
    Everytime I got admitted I begged the same surgeon to check me out as I was seriously ill, felt like I was dying. Told me it was my gall bladder and to stop worrying. Eventually he said fine ill give you a scan as your liver function has been so low for so long... Liver tumours were causing my liver to start failing caused by contraceptives. Had 3\4 of my liver removed. Still recovering. If you KNOW somethings wrong, fight with all your might for answers! X
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    When I was 20 weeks pregnant with my son I started itching, but a doctor told me it was PUPPPS (a skin condition you get when you're pregnant). After 2 weeks of scratching myself to bleeding and crying I went to the ER.... the ER doc came in for 2 seconds and told me I had some problem I can't even remember to pronounce. I asked "What's that" and he said "see the redness around your eyes?" I said "No, that's from me crying because I ITCH so bad! When I cry I get a raccoon mask."

"Oh. Well, then, it's scabies."

And it was.

Took 6 weeks to stop itching after the treatment.

And every doctor and nurse I saw after that made me feel SUPER self conscious every time they saw my skin. "What are these holes in your body?" .... scabies... "Was it treated?"... yes... "Is it active?" no... "Well you should get it checked, it looks like a flesh-eating virus."

:(

It wasn't.

Same EXACT thing happened to me only different....The doctor told me I had Scabies and gave me a topical ointment and told me to leave my house for the weekend because the little critters would die without a host after 24 hours....the ointment didn't work and I was scratching myself until I would bleed. Becoming frantic I was beside myself. I went to her again and she said the scabies was back...I yelled at her and told her it wasn't scabies and she ran out the door and came back and told me it was P.U.P.P. she pout me on a mild anti-histamine and the itching subsided but never truly went away until RIGHT AFTER my oldest was born. Skin cleared up immediately.

This same doctor misdiagnosed me three months later when I when in and told her I had severe pain that wrapped around to my back. She said it was just me getting used to carrying around a 10 lb baby and that I needed to get used to it....a few weeks later I could no longer stand the pain and and had been in the E.R. and finally got a different doctor and was diagnosed with Gall Stones. 2 days later my gall bladder was taken out.

Stupid *****!!!!!!!!

Needless to say the medical community is not as far advanced as they would like the public to think they are! If you can find a doctor that truly LISTENS to you they are worth more than gold!
  • zandrellia
    zandrellia Posts: 26
    "Don't come back [to Labor and Delivery] until she tells you she hates you." Said to my husband by a nurse at L&D when I went in the day before my due date with slight contractions and the sensation that I was ready to have my baby. I had him the next morning, less than 6 hours later.

Ironically, if we had waited to have my son until I told my husband I hated him, he would have been born 3 years later. :laugh:
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    p.s. I think P.U.P.P. is more than a skin condition...I think it's like having an allergic reaction to being pregnant. It was miserable. Thankfully it did not happen with my other two pregnancies.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    my best friend was put on a 500 calorie a day diet my senior year of high school. I thought her doctor was nuts, and she wasn't really losing any weight while she was on it...
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    This thread is doing nothing for my hatred of doctors. o_O
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Def bad advice, I've never heard of stage 5.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    my doctr told me.." you're a big girl, you'll always be a big girl....'
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    You're gaining weight? And odd hair growth? Oh, it's nothing, just eat less and shave the hair if it bothers you.

Yeah.

Would've been nice to treat the PCOS at 14 instead of 24.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    How about no advice or help at all? When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism (38 years old mom of 4 and full time work and could barely could get out of bed) I was sent to an Endocrinologist. He put me on Synthroid and when I tried to talk to him he would cut me off would not answer questions and acted like I was wasting his time. Everyone in the waiting room was overweight and looked to be in ill health. I knew I did not have the time to waste anymore with this joker. . After a blood test the phlebotomist said Oh I have Hashie's too. I ask if she saw this Dr. she said no because it was a conflict (Im thinking in my head its because he is a jerk.) She gave me the number of her Naturopath who has now been my Dr. for the last 5 years. She found the start of a goiter and was able to reverse it. The endo never even checked me out for a goiter...
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    You're gaining weight? And odd hair growth? Oh, it's nothing, just eat less and shave the hair if it bothers you.

Yeah.

Would've been nice to treat the PCOS at 14 instead of 24.

wow ...that is horrible!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I've had several trainers keep having me lift heavy weight on my bottom half or do tons of squats with weights even after me saying repeatedly, from my experience, that area will just get bigger. It's like they only know one formula and they expect it to work for everyone.

I've had this problem.
  • TiffaniUT
    TiffaniUT Posts: 23
    I was having some pressure in my ear and it was popping. It was causing me to get severely dizzy and my vision became blurry and I would become nauseous. I went to the doctor and told him I thought I had some fluid in my ear that was maybe vertigo. He just told me my blood pressure was high and handed me a bag full of sample blood pressure medicines to take for a month and to come back and see him. My blood pressure was 140/90, which is just a little over a desirable number. I had taken my blood pressure regularly, and it was normal, except for this one day and he just jumped to the conclusion that all of these symptoms were simply because of my "high" blood pressure. I threw the bag of blood pressure meds away and called my mom and told her that my doctor was crazy and that what was going on with me was NOT blood pressure related. She told me to take about 4 Benadryl a night for a week and it should dry up the fluid I believed was in my ear. I did this, and by the next day I felt 100% better and have never had the dizzy spells or any of the other symptoms again. That was the last time I've seen my doctor.

ALSO, last year I was having some extreme pain in my rib cage. I am a toddler teacher so I do a lot of lifting and carrying the children around. I thought I had pulled a muscle or something and it wasn't getting better. I asked my doctor about it, and he sent me to get a CT scan and said it was just the cysts in my ovaries causing me pain. REALLY?! How can cysts in my OVARIES cause pain in my RIBS?? I went to the gynecologist and she laughed at me for telling her what he said. She felt me ribs and told me they were just inflamed from carrying the children on my hip, causing it to be over-worked. She gave me some strong ibuprofen and I felt better within a week. My doctor is just nuts!!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    My pediatrician told me to cut down on the amount of salad dressing I was using to lose weight. At that point, I didn't even eat salad! And I have NEVER used more than 2T of dressing on anything. Gross.

This kind of advice is for people that don't want to/ care to lose weight.. it is an 'easy' place to start cutting back.. =/ I get it all the time.. Gets annoying.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    my son's probation officer told me to quit my job, get on welfare & raise my kids (not fitness advice but still... really!?)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    worst advice?

"pay for a personal trainer'.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    This thread is doing nothing for my hatred of doctors. o_O

Agreed O.o
  • next_bold_move
    next_bold_move Posts: 15 Member
    A doctor gave me a serious complex when i was 17, weighed 135lbs at 5"4 and told me I was 15lbs over weight....Uhhh...that's a helathy BMI and back then I was mostly muscle...What the heck?!

I once had a nurse weigh me and then say "whoa I didnt know you weighed that much. Don't worry , you don't look it. I guess it's bc you're tall."

Backhanded compliment much? Btw at the time I only weight 143 at 5'9 :(

I had something almost exactly like that happen to me. I weighed 150 at 5'7", and the PA said "Wow, I guess it's a good thing you don't look like you weigh that much."