Don't ever take your car to Walmart and get the oil changed!

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    They didn't put an oil filter on one of my cars.

Now I bought a garage lift and do them all myself. PEACE OF MIND.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with oil changes due to stupid errors at Walmart, Jiffy Lube and Penzoil....only place we ever go is the dealership now.
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    I take my car to WalMart and have never had a problem with it. Just because you work at WalMart doesn't make you stupid....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My thought is dont go to Walmart ever for anything. 16+ years and counting since I have stepped foot in that God forsaken place.

You're right. They should fire the hundreds of thousands of employees nation wide, and shut that budget-friendly place down (largest employer; second to the government). We'll all be better off for it.
    /end sarcasm

The US would be better off w/ out Walmart. I'll argue the hell out of this topic if you want.
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    My thought is dont go to Walmart ever for anything. 16+ years and counting since I have stepped foot in that God forsaken place.

You're right. They should fire the hundreds of thousands of employees nation wide, and shut that budget-friendly place down (largest employer; second to the government). We'll all be better off for it.
    /end sarcasm

And this ^^
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    It boils down to poor supervision in most cases. I do my own oil because of stories like this. It's also half the price too.

JM
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I take my car to WalMart and have never had a problem with it. Just because you work at WalMart doesn't make you stupid....

No, it doesn't. But they go hand in hand 99% of the time. The employee's are mostly worthless, lazy, drunks or pot heads (in my area) and I know more about their store than they do and I hate it.

*waves* Greetings from one of those worthless, lazy Walmart employees!

TLE is hit or miss. It's hard to find people qualified to work for a tire lube express and then to get them to work at Walmart over a shop is even harder. It's like anywhere else; some bad, some good.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    WOW!! I have worked at wmart for 18 yrs and untill today didn't know I was a stupid, unknowledgeable, piece of poop. = (
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Two months ago we gave my daughter my Toyota Camry to drive. Yesterday she took it to Walmart to get the oil changed. They didn't put any oil in it whatsoever and she drove it 34 miles and the engine blew up! A perfectly good car ruined! It 's now sitting in the mechanic's garage waiting for the Walmart manager to come hear what's wrong with it! I'm afraid we're screwed! What a day!
    No lights came on, warning that there was no oil in the car? :huh:

I had them put the wrong size filter on, and was leaking oil all the way home. Any of these things could happen anywhere, though. Where is everyone getting this "Walmart has lesser quality employees than any other oil change place" from?
    You're right, it could happen anywhere. But it's MUCH less likely to happen at a reputable shop. Because yes, Walmart has lesser quality employees. I don't believe that's even debatable. I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose. But if they were skilled at something, they wouldn't be at Walmart.

That's a pretty bold statement there because I have known several people that have worked at wal mart and it wasn't because they were "dumb" or "unskilled" as you put it but because it was a job and it paid money. A friend of mine in particular has been working there for the last 4 years while going to school and taking care of 3 kids, and she just graduated and it on her way to Grad school. Ya know sometimes when you go to a trade school (like for auto mechanics for example) a lot of the time you have to put your time in doing the crappy jobs before working your way up to the better shops. I've known people that started out a wal mart, worked for a few years and then got a better job.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes! I drive a BMW now so I take it to the dealer but before I bought it I had taken my other car to Walmart and I was certain they hadn't even changed it.

We used to change our cars/trucks ourselves but sometimes its easier just to take it in and get it over with and not have to worry about dumping the oil properly. Plus most places cap off all my fluids so that helps, too.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Walmart back in the day to get oil changes for about $15. One time they didn't screw the intake hose in properly and also overfilled the oil. NEVER AGAIN!

I hate Walmart! There is always a long line even at night, it looks dirty, and filled with people who have no common sense. At least in Target, it's cleaner and the workers actually help you out! Target's lines are always shorter than Walmart's. Then I hear people rant about how Target is more expensive, which is probably true but only by a few pennies. Besides I'd rather pay a bit more and shop at Target!!
  • directorj
    Options
    Yes! I drive a BMW now so I take it to the dealer but before I bought it I had taken my other car to Walmart and I was certain they hadn't even changed it.

We used to change our cars/trucks ourselves but sometimes its easier just to take it in and get it over with and not have to worry about dumping the oil properly. Plus most places cap off all my fluids so that helps, too.

At first I thought you said you brought your BMW at Walmart for an oil change :noway: :noway:
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    my buddy dooes oil changes at walmart, i would trust him. it's the person not the company. but if you have a car that requires good oil or synthetic your best to do it yourself, i work at advance auto, and trust me there is so many different issues with having places chnge the oil, we deal with issues all the time. loose drain plugs, double gasket oil filters, wrong oil, the list goes on
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But if they were skilled at something, they wouldn't be at Walmart.

Well now... that's just all shades of ludicrous and offensive.

:flowerforyou:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

/end sarcasm

The US would be better off w/ out Walmart. I'll argue the hell out of this topic if you want.

I'm curious how an instant layoff of hundreds of thousands of employees would make the place better off. Because that's the only option. You can't go back and have a "do over".

You put hundreds of thousands of income-earners out of work, and suddenly the burden on unemployment breaks the country. Do you think thousands of small businesses would pop up overnight, offering a premium wage, and health benefits? Not gonna happen.

I never said it was a good company. But the fact remains, they employ a sh!tload of people (many, who honestly wouldn't qualify for a higher-waged job), and sell products that people in a sh!tty economy can afford.

No, it's not the best scenario, but closing the doors overnight would only make things worse.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My father in law has an auto repair shop, and we had that happen to a customer. Completely blew up the motor due to lack of oil. Walmart took np responsibility for it. Walmart may be cheaper, and faster on occasion, but your best bet is always to have a trusted mechanic or repair shop to go to regularly. What some people don't realize, is that with the $30 you pay for the oil change, most shops do a routine checkover, top off fluids, and check maintenance schedules from the manufacturer. Im sure not all places are the same, but its worth a few extra bucks if you can swing it.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I hate Walmart. HATE IT!!! But its almost like a necessary evil. I have a family and we are on a budget and we shop wherever we get the most bang for our buck. So, that means I shop at Walmart. As soon as I can find a better store, with comparable prices where I can find almost anything I need, I will never shop there again. Until then.... I will just have to suffer through my shopping trips. That being said..
    I ALWAYS get my oil changes at Walmart. Do I think they are the greatest? No. Have they screwed up my car? Never. I have had worse luck at Kwik Kar (spilled oil EVERYWHERE), and Jiffy Lube (overfilled).
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. But they go hand in hand 99% of the time. The employee's are mostly worthless, lazy, drunks or pot heads (in my area) and I know more about their store than they do and I hate it.

I've got a degree in Electronics Engineering, have owned 3 of my own businesses, and have worked there. I somehow think you pulled that 99% number out of your *kitten*.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Take your car maintenance in your own hands. In most shops, if you ask them to show you the dipstick showing you the oil on it, they'll show you. It's not a crime to ask them to do it. Make sure they clean it off while you're watching and then stick it back in the engine and then show you the oil level. If they just pull the dipstick out and show it to you it will not read correctly, or you can learn do to it yourself if they refuse. Do not leave the shop until this is done by yourself or by the staff.

My dad was an auto mechanic and had always told me that part of owning a car is more than knowing just how to open the door, trunk and turn the key. A few of the basics - where the washer fluid goes, where the dipstick is so you can check your oil level between oil changes - it does get low on it's own in older cars, how to change your own wipers and how to check the pressure in your tires (this is important for proper gas mileage) and where the jack & spare tire are (if you have a donut, they're only good for about 70 miles max - enough to get you to a repair shop). Many people just hop in a car and drive them without knowing how they even work.
  • directorj
    Options

/end sarcasm

I'm curious how an instant layoff of hundreds of thousands of employees would make the place better off. Because that's the only option. You can't go back and have a "do over".

You put hundreds of thousands of income-earners out of work, and suddenly the burden on unemployment breaks the country. Do you think thousands of small businesses would pop up overnight, offering a premium wage, and health benefits? Not gonna happen.

I never said it was a good company. But the fact remains, they employ a sh!tload of people (many, who honestly wouldn't qualify for a higher-waged job), and sell products that people in a sh!tty economy can afford.

No, it's not the best scenario, but closing the doors overnight would only make things worse.

Health benefits + Walmart? No way! They are notorious for not giving their employees benefits
This discussion has been closed.