Gaining puffy fat on Insanity

Options
12346»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Alright guys I calulated everything. I put everything I ate yesterday and I put my 2 workouts that I did, Insanity and 2 brazilian butt lift workouts (they are shorter so I dont mind doing it)

I ate a net total of 975 calories yesterday.

Ah, well there's one problem then! That's way too few especially when you're doing a tough problem like insanity. Calculate your BMR and try not to net under that. Did you read the nutrition guide that came with Insanity? It's actually pretty good and tells you how many calories to eat on the program and everything. Even if you decide not to count calories, the nutrition guide can give you an idea of how much you should be eating to have in the back of your head.
  • drmnofsun
    drmnofsun Posts: 10
    Options
    Alright guys I calulated everything. I put everything I ate yesterday and I put my 2 workouts that I did, Insanity and 2 brazilian butt lift workouts (they are shorter so I dont mind doing it)

IMO, you are not eating enough calories. Eat more (healthy choices)! Good luck!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't buy shakeology and don't do insanity anymore. Did you count calories during this period?
    Agree with the shakeology, you can buy whey protein much cheaper. Dont agree with stopping insanity, I dont think there was a problem if you had results the first month. I would recommend do what you were doing the first month, obviously what ever you were doing was working. And,dont feel bad about a couple of beers, I do drink wine and stil have results :-D btw, i am doing insanity right now as well
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's not so easy to eat 100 calories of broccoli.

its extremely easy, i do it everyday

*Sigh* My point was that vegetables are generally very low in calories, so it's not easy to excess of calories if a person is eating mainly vegetables and fruits, rather than junk food.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    This is not surprising. You should have not had such a massive deficit, many problems will occur such as metabolic slowdown, hormonal crashes, etc etc. This is particularly bad news when combined with lots of activity. All the more reason to incorporate refeeds/full diet breaks. However, what you described does not discount the importance of calories nor does it discount energy balance. What you did does not apply to everyone and there are certainly ways to eat at a "large" deficit and still lose weight under certain conditions and as long as certain requirements are met. Which is not to say one should eat 300 calories a day because more doesn't always equal better - it depends on the context. And that is why I was taking issue with the absolute statements you were making. You cannot always extrapolate your situation to everyone else's, particularly when what you describe above is about the worst thing you can do.

With that being said, I think you should read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

This is all assuming of course that you were counting calories accurately. Also, it can be problematic to calculate "net calories", as many people tend to overestimate their expenditure from exercise (don't take those calories burned calculators as gospel). All the more reason to not count exercise expenditure in the first place and keep it simple.
    All I said was that some people need a higher calorie deficit, some people need a smaller one. How is that wrong? Also, I know how to lose weight. You can see from my ticker that I'm over halfway to my goal. I just had to experiment to figure out the right balance of calories and exercise.
    Obviously, you missed the part where I said I'm burning about 1200 calories a day producing breast milk.
    You should not be on a severe diet while breastfeeding. When prolactin levels are high, your body isn't going to respond very well to caloric restriction. Has your body preferentially pulled fat off the hips/thighs? This may happen while breastfeeding due to a hormonal shift
    I'm not restricting calories right now. My daily calorie goal is 3000 calories. For various reasons, I do have trouble meeting that goal, but I do my best. And no, my body has not burned any fat from anywhere.
    Oh, yeah I mean if you are not in a deficit of course it will not happen.

I AM generally eating at a deficit. My goal is 3000ish calories (1950 for maintenance, 1200 for making 60 ounces of milk), but I rarely meet that goal. On an average day I get between 2000 and 2500 calories. Which, when you subtract the breastfeeding, puts me at a definite deficit.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    All I said was that some people need a higher calorie deficit, some people need a smaller one. How is that wrong? Also, I know how to lose weight. You can see from my ticker that I'm over halfway to my goal. I just had to experiment to figure out the right balance of calories and exercise.
    If that's all you meant then of course that isn't wrong, but that's not exactly what you said and that is not all you said.
    I AM generally eating at a deficit. My goal is 3000ish calories (1950 for maintenance, 1200 for making 60 ounces of milk), but I rarely meet that goal. On an average day I get between 2000 and 2500 calories. Which, when you subtract the breastfeeding, puts me at a definite deficit.
    I believe you may be overestimating your expenditure from breastfeeding. An ounce of breast-milk does equal around the amount of calories you say, but your fat stores usually have plenty to sustain that.

Things get complicated with breastfeeding. For one thing, a study found that your NEAT may decline (Neat = non-exercise adaptive thermogenesis). This would affect what your maintenance intake actually is, as NEAT is one factor in determine your maintenance caloric intake.

Only you know for sure, but from your description, I would guess that you are eating at maintenance, particularly if you aren't seeing any weight gain/loss over an extended time period. But hormonal changes after pregnancy will also tend to do odd things to your water balance as well, which may mask fat loss for a very long period of time.. How much protein are you eating?
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    You people say that I eat too much, while Im passing out from who knows what. I eat exactly THREE times per day, usually two salads and a soup. I know about sodium and I know about sugar, carbs, fat, and calories. I know all that, which is the very reason why I posted this, because I dont understand WHY I gain.

A lot of people are suggesting that you're eating too much, but I was thinking you may not be eating ENOUGH. I know it's stressful to count calories but maybe you should try it again and make sure you eat your BMR and your exercise calories all back. Salads and soup are not substantial. You need real food if you're gonna do a real workout program like Insanity.

I know there's been a lot of replies already so other people have prob already mentioned all of that. But good luck. I know you can do it, and I know you must be frustrated! If all else fails, I would see a nutritionist - there's only so much knowledge we can provide. Sometimes medical issues complicate things and a real doctor might be able to help you more.

Also, congrats on getting hitched!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options

Oh my god that's not enough! Seriously! You should be eating a net of 1600, roughly, depending on your BMR. Find out your BMR (using MFP or whatever other website you may prefer) and eat about 100 calories over whatever number it gives you. I experienced a plateau earlier this year and overcame it by eating more food. The fact that when you restricted your diet you got results you didn't like is an example of this. Ice cream and other "unhealthy" foods are, in my opinion, sometimes necessary for weight loss.

Anything below your BMR you're starving yourself. Please try to eat more calories.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    If that's all you meant then of course that isn't wrong, but that's not exactly what you said and that is not all you said.
    I believe you may be overestimating your expenditure from breastfeeding. An ounce of breast-milk does equal around the amount of calories you say, but your fat stores usually have plenty to sustain that.

Read this: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/
    Their estimates are less than half of yours. And this also depends on how far along you are in terms of lactation.

Things get complicated with breastfeeding. For one thing, a study found that your NEAT may decline (Neat = non-exercise adaptive thermogenesis). This would affect what your maintenance intake actually is, as NEAT is one factor in determine your maintenance caloric intake.

Only you know for sure, but from your description, I would guess that you are eating at maintenance, particularly if you aren't seeing any weight gain/loss over an extended time period. But hormonal changes after pregnancy will also tend to do odd things to your water balance as well, which may mask fat loss for a very long period of time.. How much protein are you eating?

I pump about 60 ounces of milk a day, so I know exactly how much I'm producing. After my baby was born I lost my standard 30 pounds. Since I only gained 15 with that pregnancy this means I lost an extra 15. Since then I haven't lost anything. I'm not really trying because I know I need all the nutrition I can get in order to maintain my milk supply. If I don't eat enough there is a drastic drop in production (5-10 ounces). I am supposed to be eating my maintenance amount, plus what I burn making milk. But, I generally get less than that, which would put me at a bit of a deficit.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you have Thyroid problems there are a couple of things that may cause the inflammation. Sorry if you already know this stuff! Soy and any gluten are your enemies. If soy is in your cereal or protein drinks it will not let your Thyroid meds work properly. Secondly don't consume any dairy/calcium within an hour of your meds. If you are eating more fiber let your Dr. know you may need an increase in your meds. Also, since you are working out so hard and taking a thyroid med you are probably stressing your adrenals to the max Thyroid Meds can stress the adrenals and with heavy workouts you may have really taxed them. Take a few days and take some yoga classes a great work out and you will sweat out that puffiness with Hot yoga or a Power Yoga class. Watch the glutens/soy and see if the inflammation goes away. Lastly, I would recommend taking using MCT oil and using coconut oil it really helps with Thyroid problems. Check out both and see if you can replace your other oils with them and get in some extra potassium through cocnut water (great electrolytes), apple cider vinegar.

^^This is all very good advice. I think you probably need to start accurately counting and logging your calories because of your thyroid problems. I know you don't want to count calories, and I know you don't want to use the thyroid as an excuse- but having an underactive thyroid makes you much more susceptible to certain problems than a person without a thyoroid problem- First of all, there is a very delicate balancing point, calorie wise, between getting enough calories to support your workouts and gaining weight. Secondly, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein. Third, all the issues with medication mentioned in the above post- the calcium thing was a major awakening for me- I used to have cereal or yogurt for breakfast everyday, not to mention using a ton of soy products. I was taking my thyroid medicine when I woke up, then eating breakfast (high fiber cereal with soy milk!) a half hour later, then taking my vitamins with calcium. Recipe for disaster. Timing, food choices, and being really strict with calories are really really important for losing weight with thyroid disorder.

Also, since you were losing when you were cheating, that to me suggests that either you're not getting enough calories now, or something in the changes you've made are f*cking with your medication, or both. It's not using the thyroid as an excuse to address the specific issues that it causes. You can probably back off of calorie counting once you find the balance that works, but in the short term it sounds like you need to do some honest logging. I hope this helps- best of luck to you!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Oh my god that's not enough! Seriously! You should be eating a net of 1600, roughly, depending on your BMR. Find out your BMR (using MFP or whatever other website you may prefer) and eat about 100 calories over whatever number it gives you. I experienced a plateau earlier this year and overcame it by eating more food. The fact that when you restricted your diet you got results you didn't like is an example of this. Ice cream and other "unhealthy" foods are, in my opinion, sometimes necessary for weight loss.

Anything below your BMR you're starving yourself. Please try to eat more calories.

I agree that 975 cals is too low to support life and workouts, but I do want to just comment here that having an underactive thyroid can give you a significantly lower BMR than is predicted by the various calculators. They're a starting point.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    I pump about 60 ounces of milk a day, so I know exactly how much I'm producing. After my baby was born I lost my standard 30 pounds. Since I only gained 15 with that pregnancy this means I lost an extra 15. Since then I haven't lost anything. I'm not really trying because I know I need all the nutrition I can get in order to maintain my milk supply. If I don't eat enough there is a drastic drop in production (5-10 ounces). I am supposed to be eating my maintenance amount, plus what I burn making milk. But, I generally get less than that, which would put me at a bit of a deficit.
    The main point was that even producing 60 oz of milk doesn't mean you are expending extra 1200 calories. Your maintenance level is not static. Plus the fact that you haven't lost anything lately does mean that you're eating at maintenance, by definition. The only caveat would be water retention masking the fat loss.
    The reason why I was asking is because studies have shown that mothers who breast-feed have larger reductions in their hip circumference compared to formula-feeding. Meaning they preferentially lose fat off their hips/thighs, which is interesting because this is usually the last area for fat to leave in most women (or males with female body-types).
    But I agree that weight loss should not be your main focus right now.
  • mrm0726
    mrm0726 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What does your endocronologist say? Have you had your blood levels checked recently? Anytime my body starts acting up, I call my doctor. I have Hashimoto's disease (thyroid is attacked by the body) and my doc and I are always talking about any unusual changes in my body. If you aren't on meds, or they haven't been adjusted in a while, you should call your doc. Good luck- I completely understand your frustration!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Kenny536 needs to spend a little less time worrying about women breastfeeding. Seriously. Do you have your PhD in nutrition? Did you author the website that you keep trying to refer us to?

Didn't think so. So, STFU.
    Do you take anything anyone with a PhD says as gospel? Let us know how that works out for you.
    I can back up what I say with scientific studies. Let me know if you want them.