Does this happen to anyone else?

leighoconnell
leighoconnell Posts: 217
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I hit a platuea so after taking the advice of others on here I decided to eat maintainence for two weeks then return to my diet. But I gained a couple lbs while doing this. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this normal? Im hoping that when I got back on my diet on Friday those lbs will fall right off.

Replies

• shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    I'm interested to see what kind of response you get to this. I think I might need to do this.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    There are a couple of things that might have happened.
    1. if you jump up your calories too much at once, your body thinks "oooh extra" and keeps it.
    2. your sodium may have gone up, and you're retaining water
    3. you need 3500 calories over what you need to actually gain a pound of fat. your maintenance calories can't be that much!
    4. you may have decreased your water consumption
    5. it takes some time for your body to adjust, give it 6 weeks, maybe eat 100 below maintenance or something, and then drop it back down
    6. increase or decrease your exercise
    7. eat your exercise cals if you weren't, if you were, eat 3/4 or half of them now
    8. it also depends on how much you have to lose. if you have a lot ot lose, the plateau will break. if you're down to your last few pounds, it just may take a really long time for it to come off.

ETA i was on a 3 mo plateau and that's how i broke it. problem is, it's hard to get back on the wagon with exercising and eating right once you've had six weeks off! i had tried everything else during that 3 mos time to break that plateau.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I'm sorry, but I think you got some bum advice. You should never go directly from a large deficit (anything above about 200 calories) directly to maintenance. The body needs time to recognize that you've changed your calorie intake, until it does, as adopt4 said, it's going to take the calories above what you have been eating and throw them into fat stores. Plan on ramping up calories for at least a week per 100 calories, anything more than that and you risk putting on new fat.

Do I believe the weight you put on is all new fat? Nope, I don't, but some of it probably is, the rest is probably added glucose and water your body retained because of a multitude of reasons associated with raising your calorie levels very quickly.
  • Thank you so much!! I think thats the best advice I've gotten. I think its the sodium thing, mixed with less water, plus I had a couple beers and its getting close to my TOM. It's not the calories though cause I only eat 1900 on maitence. I have about 60 lbs to loose.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • Its only two lbs, which I think can be lost fairly easily now that I am back on my diet. I think it mainly has to with the fact I had several beers that weekend with my family. I feel more bloated than anything, like the majority of it is water. What is the quickest way to drop water weight?
    I'm sorry, but I think you got some bum advice. You should never go directly from a large deficit (anything above about 200 calories) directly to maintenance. The body needs time to recognize that you've changed your calorie intake, until it does, as adopt4 said, it's going to take the calories above what you have been eating and throw them into fat stores. Plan on ramping up calories for at least a week per 100 calories, anything more than that and you risk putting on new fat.

Do I believe the weight you put on is all new fat? Nope, I don't, but some of it probably is, the rest is probably added glucose and water your body retained because of a multitude of reasons associated with raising your calorie levels very quickly.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Drink more water :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.