Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. If I don't call a girl ma'am or a guy sir then I am basically saying, "F*K you"
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'm from GA, but I live in California and I find it sad that I don't hear it more often. It's a key way to show respect.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like Ma'am. I am not offended at all because it shows respect.

Do not call me "Bro", "Cuzzo", "Dawg" or "Girl" in my classroom. And I have been called far worse by some foul mouthed teenagers.

At the Doctor's office, do not call me "honey", "sweetpea" or "dear". The young nurses do and I go to a female doctor!! I said please write this on my chart in all all caps - do not call me anything other than "Mrs. Last Name" or "Ma'am."

And finally, Mr. Waiter at my favorite restaurant do not call me "Love" every five seconds. I am not your love and it is not endearing.

^^^^This
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually love to be called ma'am. It's very respectful, I think... and I'm only 22.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    lol...I hate darling or dear or love...by shop keepers....they should be reserved for my hubby!!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yes, and for the exact same reason as you.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I hate it unless the person has a southern accent. Then it's kind of hot. :laugh:

True. LOL
  • KBienn
    KBienn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in the south, My grandmother taught me the proper way to address a female was Ma'am, which I did as a child and I still do to this day. So if there is a 16 year old young lady working the register at Subway, I will address her as Ma'am. I don't think about it. I just do it.

I travel all over the country now, and in many areas I go, I get weird looks (or maybe that is because of my southern accent, lol, I am not sure).

I don't think I could train myself to not do it anymore. I mean no disrepect at all.

I honestly feel so much better reading these responses - I figured everyone had a middle aged woman in mind when using "Ma'am" - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I use Ma'am and Sir a lot. Even with my children. It's a sign of respect not age. :D Nor do I take offense when called it. Maybe it was from being raised in the military.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I don't mind it too much. Since I work with the military I have gotten used to it.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When your from the south, I think you just kind of become numb to it! Does not bother me!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I work with preschoolers so Mrs. and Ma'am is all I here...even from the parents, so it doesnt bother me
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

I'm not your friend, buddy!

I'm not your buddy, pal!

Sorry...........Terrance and Phillip interjection................
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    We only say it to be polite...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't bother me at all.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I only heard it once... when I was 17. That is a little young.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I feel you.
    I hate being called 'sir'
    I look about 21 but I am 31 years olf.
    Makes me feel like an old fogie.

^^^ this one, just replace 31 with 27...

I also, hate being called Mr... My dad is Mr.... I am just James...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of it at all, and it's odd because I'm southern and people say it here all the time.

It's only hot when my husband calls me ma'am :blushing:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Now this is a nice juxtaposition....you get threads all the time talking about how rude people are, then you get another one complaining about how much politeness bothers you.

I always laugh at people's negative reaction to politeness....that's all.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

I am very very sorry you feel this way...I was raised by southern Army soilders...My mother and father were both in the army...and my dad was an Army drill sgt...Not only that I did 4 years in the Air Force....yes sir and yes ma'am is something I can't help but say....

Have a good day Ms.