Replies

• heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I LOVE it. When its a guy doing it its a turn on, cuz well-mannered gentlemen turn me on. When others do it it's just a sign of politeness/ respect that I appreciate. I feel the same way about honey/love/dear.

And its not just a southern thing, I attended a British grammar school and we had to call our teachers Sir and Ma'am and stand when they entered the room.

Oh yeah, and I'm 29.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I was in Texas for nearly a decade. I learned southern manners while there and, 'yes/no, ma'am' is now simply habit.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to mind being called "ma'am" when I was younger, now I rather like it. I call everybody ma'am or sir, younger or older, until instructed otherwise.

I don't mind "honey," "sweetie," "sugar," or other term of endearment from female strangers, but absolutely hate it when the strangers are male.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

I am very very sorry you feel this way...I was raised by southern Army soilders...My mother and father were both in the army...and my dad was an Army drill sgt...Not only that I did 4 years in the Air Force....yes sir and yes ma'am is something I can't help but say....

Have a good day Ms.

You can't please everybody :laugh:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Now this is a nice juxtaposition....you get threads all the time talking about how rude people are, then you get another one complaining about how much politeness bothers you.

I always laugh at people's negative reaction to politeness....that's all.

I think terms like this are region specific to some extent. You can be polite without saying Ma'am & Sir. Some people do not like being referred to this way...
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Now this is a nice juxtaposition....you get threads all the time talking about how rude people are, then you get another one complaining about how much politeness bothers you.

I think terms like this are region specific to some extent. You can be polite without saying Ma'am & Sir. Some people do not like being referred to this way...

Well, better to be polite until asked not to be. Those who don't like it can simply ask not to be, but please be understanding that things like this are habitual and will sometimes still slip.
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jeez people get SO offended by someone saying, "I don't like to be called Ma'am".... clearly we get that in some regions/cultures/occupations, it's considered polite...but in other regions where it's not a regular practice and it conjures up a certain image (i.e. old lady- sorry I'm from California and wasn't raised in a military family and to me Ma'am= old lady).

To each their own, people!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I had no idea this was even an issue. must be weird to be annoyed by politeness.

and, as has been said, what the heck else would I call you?
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    haha agreed. I live in Southern California too and I think of "Ma'am" as something for a middled aged/older lady and "Miss" for someone younger. It's just like the fact that here, it's ok for people to go out to dinner in yoga pants and flip flops but in other parts of the country that's unheard of lol.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I had no idea this was even an issue. must be weird to be annoyed by politeness.

and, as has been said, what the heck else would I call you?

Getting a woman's attention by saying "Excuse me, Ma'am" isn't the same as being "Yes, Ma'am-ed" in the south. There IS a difference... and guys, chill out. We ALL have our preferences. I'm not annoyed by politeness, it's expected.
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    It makes me feel kinda old (I'm only 29), but I think I'd rather be Ma'am than Miss. Miss makes me feel like a little girl.
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    Didn't like it when I was younger but really not crazy about it now that I'm 40. However, I do prefer it too not addressing me as that or Ms or Mrs vs Dude, Dudette, or a yeah whatever look most teenagers give you. :) My son knows better than that. He is taught to say Ms or Mrs or Sir or Mr or if they are real close friends and the friends are ok with him calling them by their first names he can do that.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't like it at all. I'm turning 30 this year and I'm not looking forward to it so I'm a bit sensitive to the ma'am thing. It makes me feel old, frumpy and instantly regret not putting on makeup before I left the house. I understand it's being polite but I prefer miss.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, I see it as a sign of respect. I was raised in the South and growing up my mama would have kicked my tail if I didn't respond "Yes Ma'am / No Ma'am".
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    yeah I hate being called ma'am too!
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

Same here 26 and It makes me feel old
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    O_O

I don't mind being called ma'm, lady, hey, miss, or what have you as long as it isn't derogatory - especially specifically because I'm female.

They are terms of respect to strangers. I think nothing else of it!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It bothered me when I first moved to the south, after 10 years, you only notice if someone DOESNT use it.
  • pangsofbeauty
    Options
    My mom is from the south
    It was always 'clean your room' " yes ma'am"

I yes sir and yes ma'am everyone
    Age 5, 24, 43, or 72
    (yes I really do "yes ma'am" when babysitting kids)
    I even "yes sir" "no sir" my bf

I'm always surprised when a few people are offended
    It's normally people in their 20's or 30's
    It's just how I was raised
    And I'm doing it out of pure respect