Eating too few calories???

Options
ktwest2107
ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
Okay, I'm not sure what to do. My goal from MFP is 1230 a day. Well, I'm eating around 1000/day, AND I'm exercising. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode, but I also don't know how to add more calories without overfilling myself and then not being hungry for meals. So, please shout out some ideas for snacks and such that I can take to work, are good for me, and not TOO filling. And not the standard carrots and apples. I'm looking for something different.

Replies

• Eat_Me_I_Taste_Like_Candy
    Options
    Hey here is a website I use to eat breakfast,lunch & dinner good in calories =] www.skinnytaste.com
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DONT listen to what MFP is telling you..if your exercising you should be eatting at LEAST you BMR! Mines 1309 and I eat about 1500!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Swap fat-free variations of food for the real stuff. That includes milk, yoghurt etc. Try nuts or protein shakes. Increase your portion size slightly at meal times.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Swap fat-free variations of food for the real stuff. That includes milk, yoghurt etc. Try nuts or protein shakes. Increase your portion size slightly at meal times.

This.

If you do eat apples, slice them up and dip in peanut butter, or spread them with cream cheese. If you REALLY can't eat more right now, drink some calories. Make a smoothie, or a protein shake.

Shoot for eating 100 more calories each day than you did the day before. Work your way up to it gradually.
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love almonds they taste amazing, are high in calories and good fats so theyre good for you and fill you up! I also like greek yogurt for snacks. you can get nonfat greek yogurts that are high in calories and are good for ya. I also like to have a glass of skim chocolate milk for a snack! yum! :D
  • Neliel1123
    Neliel1123 Posts: 2
    Options
    "Hey here is a website I use to eat breakfast,lunch & dinner good in calories =] www.skinnytaste.com"

Thank you so much for that website! I found a lot of recipes I wanna try.

"DONT listen to what MFP is telling you..if your exercising you should be eatting at LEAST you BMR! Mines 1309 and I eat about 1500!"

I am a bit scared now O_O. So I shouldn't listen to what it says? Because it's always telling me I'm under. I barely started this whole process and I was excited to find this site but if it's wrong I don't really want to use it :(
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    "Hey here is a website I use to eat breakfast,lunch & dinner good in calories =] www.skinnytaste.com"

"DONT listen to what MFP is telling you..if your exercising you should be eatting at LEAST you BMR! Mines 1309 and I eat about 1500!"

I am a bit scared now O_O. So I shouldn't listen to what it says? Because it's always telling me I'm under. I barely started this whole process and I was excited to find this site but if it's wrong I don't really want to use it :(

I think what she meant was that you need to be eating more. MFP acts all happy with you if you eat under your goal, but sometimes that's really not a good thing. Use the tools to find your BMR estimate, and try to eat at least that number of calories every day.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Cheerios and they come in all kinds of flavors now. You get about 100 to 110 cal per 3/4 cup.

I like the peanut butter and caramel ones myself.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I think she meant that MFP can set your calorie goals really low sometimes. You should listen when it says you're under 'cause being under an already low goal can potentially be a very bad thing.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    DONT listen to what MFP is telling you..if your exercising you should be eatting at LEAST you BMR! Mines 1309 and I eat about 1500!

Or... DO listen to what MFP says - eat your 1230 PLUS the calories you burn exercising. This will give you a much more realistic calorie intake.

Don't get stuck in the idea that you have to starve to lose weight.
    Your body needs energy - and energy = calories.
    If you don't give it enough nutrition, you won't have enough bounce to enjoy life.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I consistenly end the day with too few calories as well! My allowance is 1200, and I hardly ever break 1000. I have breakfast, sometimes a morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner, and am still usually under calories...I'm not going hungry so I hate to eat more just to reach my calorie goal!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I consistenly end the day with too few calories as well! My allowance is 1200, and I hardly ever break 1000. I have breakfast, sometimes a morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner, and am still usually under calories...I'm not going hungry so I hate to eat more just to reach my calorie goal!

Why? Would you hate to put gas in your car just so it could make it all the way to your destination? Food is fuel. Your body needs it to function properly, just as your car needs enough gas to function properly.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And to answer your actual question about snacks, here's some ideas:
    - cheese and crackers
    - hommus and veggies (or crackers or rice cakes)
    - yoghurt (full fat!) with fruit
    - banana
    - banana bread or muffins
    - savoury muffins (I've made them with zucchini, cheese, carrot, rolled oats etc - delicious!)
    - peanut butter sandwich (1 slice of grainy bread with no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter)
    - boiled egg
    - left over steak or chicken sliced into little strips. I eat is as-is, but you could dip into into chilli sauce if you'd like that better
    - muesli (granola) bars - see if you can find one with not too much added sugar. Home made would be even better.

And two more ideas that you didn't ask about:
    - plan your meals for the day. Then you can see how many cals it adds up to, and add in a few extras if you need them.
    - extras that fill you up but don't add much bulk: nuts, slice of cheese, full fat yoghurt, avocado, olive oil dressing, banana, brown rice.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm not sure what to do. My goal from MFP is 1230 a day. Well, I'm eating around 1000/day, AND I'm exercising. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode, but I also don't know how to add more calories without overfilling myself and then not being hungry for meals. So, please shout out some ideas for snacks and such that I can take to work, are good for me, and not TOO filling. And not the standard carrots and apples. I'm looking for something different.

click that tools tab in the top right corner and check your bmr , sometimes its better to set your weight loss weekly goal to .5 lbs or 1 lb. a week instead of straving yourself at 2 lbs a week
  • Eat_Me_I_Taste_Like_Candy
    Options

Your welcome you can eat a lot more on the website .I can eat like crazy and be exactly right on my calories or right under =]
  • Samysalsa
    Samysalsa Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a similar problem. My goal on MFP is 1320 but that last few days I have been eating just under 1200, today was 1131. Should I eat something to make up for those 70 cals or not worry about it?
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Eating too few is what I meant. I know that I need to eat more calories, and I also work out everyday, even if it's just a walk. I just don't want to lose muscle by not eating enough to fuel my body considering how active I am. Even if I just play softball or go for a walk, I do something. I'll start doing whey every night, and probably grab some stuff that I can take for snacks. I like the sound of the cheerios, and that's something I can Ziploc and take to work :)

I want to follow the MFP plan that they have for me, because I know it works. Since tracking my food, I've adjusted what I eat and lost weight. This site is a motivator for me, and I know I'll get the results I want. Now I just have to remember to eat enough :)

BTW...please don't take this post as me having an eating disorder because I'm not eating enough. I want to add more calories, I just need to find a healthy way (ie no fatty snacks or sodas "empty calories) to do it.

Thanks again for your help!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of great advice and support in the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I don't think anybody thinks you have an ED. Believe it or not, a LOT of people come to the forums with your exact same problem. It's good that you're trying to nip the problem in the bud before it causes you health issues. :)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What's starvation mode?