Eating too few calories???

Options

Replies

• Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I read that you should eat about 7 calories for every pound on your body.

So, for me I weigh about 195 * 7 = 1365

I set that as my calorie goal, and eat back most of my exercise calories. It seems to be working for me so far! I don't know if it will work for everyone though (especially if you are really skinny) but it's a nice number to start with.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh, and an easy way to add calories is to add a protein shake mixed with some milk. That's another 200 ish calories, and it's easy!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    rice cakes and weight watchers cheese wedges are good.
    and kraft milk bars. but 1000 calories is way to low. your body will go into starvation and plateau.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

I set that as my calorie goal, and eat back most of my exercise calories. It seems to be working for me so far! I don't know if it will work for everyone though (especially if you are really skinny) but it's a nice number to start with.

That's probably not a good one-size-fits-all math equation. I'd only be eating 882 calories. And I'm not "really skinny." I'm just short, and in the healthy weight range for my height.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just please keep in mind that calories is not everything you have to look for, you can easily go over your recommended sugar intake if not careful so just keep that in mind (I sincerely find it impossible to not break my sugar intake, 39 grams is too low!)

Diabetes not a joke these days :(
  • _TWLOHA_
    _TWLOHA_ Posts: 26
    Options
    Peanut butter, almonds, avocados.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat a little high calories healthy food... raw almonds or other nuts, cottage cheese, avacado it will bump up your calories
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This will really help anyone who is eating whatever MFP tells you. Yes, it has good intentions, but the thing is, it doesn't really know YOU.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

It makes sense, and everyone I've ever asked about it has seen the great results from upping their calories. Go towards it gradually, and you will see an increase of a few lbs at first, but stick with it and IT WILL WORK.

There's no need to starve yourself into losing weight. Why not eat AND lose weight, faster (in the long run)!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

That's probably not a good one-size-fits-all math equation. I'd only be eating 882 calories. And I'm not "really skinny." I'm just short, and in the healthy weight range for my height.

Agreed. Mine would be 826, more than 400 cals below a low BMR..
  • lilmsrosieposie
    Options
    I have the same problem too! What I do is I eat snacks between meals - eating consistently throughout the day makes me feel less starving by the time I get to meals, and then I haven't been having to stuff my face to reach the calories. So for snack I will either make asparagus or hard boiled egg whites. It tides me over for about 2 hours until the next meal. Also - bananas before work outs jump start your metabolism in the morning and the potassium will speed your recovery.
  • Valdeceit
    Valdeceit Posts: 5
    Options
    I often have the same problem. Foremost, I've never had a particularly large appetite (Just a taste for junk food!), and since I've begun attempting to lose further weight I eat predominantly vegetables and other low-calorie but high-nutrition foods. Some days I've hardly been able to break 800, though I'm not spending my days hungry or depriving myself.
    It can be frustrating, to say the least.

If I really need to bump up the calorie mark, I turn to nuts- especially Brazil nuts. A handful has both a fair amount of calories, and they're certianly not empty ones.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just please keep in mind that calories is not everything you have to look for, you can easily go over your recommended sugar intake if not careful so just keep that in mind (I sincerely find it impossible to not break my sugar intake, 39 grams is too low!)

Diabetes not a joke these days :(

Please be aware that you do not get diabetes from eating sugar. Sugar is part of a healthy diet when it comes from natural sources such as fruit. It is not healthy when it is processed such as High Fructose Corn Syrup. You are correct when you say Diabetes is not a joke. Diabetes, type 2 is caused by obesity in many instances and poor lifestyle choices. So choose a diet that hits all the food groups, healthy carbs, lean proteins, healthy fats, lots of leafy greens, whole grains. Choose unprocessed foods over processed ones. Get some exercise every day. Alcohol in moderation. Quit smoking if you smoke. Keep your Blood Pressure down by lowering your salt intake, don't add it to your foods if you can.

Do all of these things and you can lead a happier healthier life. These are the things you can change. You cannot change your genetics so if you have a strong family history of diabetes, heart disease, stroke then you would be even more wise to follow these suggestions.

Sorry if I sound preachy but I am a nurse and every day I see patients who are on hemodialysis, many of whom have diabetes, heart disease. I would like to see less of them.
  • vwrynn
    vwrynn Posts: 6
    Options
    I found fresh strawberries work great and they are very low calorie. They're in season now too.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie-dense foods. Nuts, avocado, add healthy oils like olive or canola when you're cooking. Switch to full-fat salad dressings, cheese, etc. Treat yourself to a cookie or some soda if you feel like it or you can't seem to get your calories another way. :)
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey here is a website I use to eat breakfast,lunch & dinner good in calories =] www.skinnytaste.com

^THIS! So awesome.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Got a sample day of what you eat ? Perhaps you're eating too many low cal high fibrous things that will fill you up, but make it hard to eat lots of cals. E,g, For me, I eat a bunch of broccoli and cauliflower because I have the opposite problem - it helps cut my cals down and stomach fuller.
    Add a tablespoon of good olive oil to your salad. Bam - 120 cals and good taste with healthy fat. (the "olave" infused ones are tasty).
    You could make an "anti-pasta" type snack. Some avocado, a few slices of salami, cheese, a couple of olives and a small piece of bread with some tasty olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and you'll easily add an extra 200 cals for sure - if you like that sort of thing. It's quite easy, 4x50 cal things is easy to find and doesn't have to be a ton of food - don't fall into that 100 cal pack crap trap.
    A small snack on almonds/wlanuts/macadamia's are good too - but watch out, because they can add up fast. I find getting the non-roasted and non-salted helps keep it to a dull roar.
    For you, eating about 10-20 more nuts a day would probably add 200 cals. You don't have to eat them all in one session either. Just 3-5 per meal. It will increase your fat intake, but chances are, you're low on fat anyway because your cals are down.
    I'd suggest adding fat rather than sugars too. So watch your choices.
    Even a spoon of good natural PB will add 200 cals. I often have that and a banana for breakfast. (Smuckers organic creamy is relatively cheap, 210cals, 1g sugar)

Do you drink coffee ? I'm not sure if you've cut creamer nonsense or only use a drip, but I've started to use unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. I tee it up too - not a dab but a lot. I use it with abandon just like I'd want to use creamer if I could (and it was real food). A cup is only 40 cals, but after a 2 cups of coffee I've easily added up to 60 cals right there and I like it just fine after a short burn in period (getting used to no sugar/creamer). I think I like it better now actually. Even drink it cold pre-workout (coffee-almond milk mix).
    Heavy cream is also insane to add to coffee and packs some cals.

Foods that can add cals:
    Nuts (just a few each meal will add)
    Nut butters (no sugar, but lots of easy cals)
    Avocado (if you like them, loads of cals and goodness)
    Olive or avocado oil (latter is expensive)
    Vinaigrette (give it heaps).
    Cheese (real, not processed individually wrapped squares)
    Eggs (not major, but helps - especially hard-boiled. Handy for salads)
    Almond Milk (not as filling as milk, I find easier to drink).
    Milk.
    Heavy whipping cream (coffee)
    A protein powder (post workout, or meal supplement. Not meal replacement).
    A piece of fruit (don't go over board because it's still sugar)

It's fairly easy if you really look into it. Just add a few extra cals each meal - like a dash of o-oil, or nut, or avocado, or something and it will add up. You don't have to add a new meal. Also, substituting that "easy low fat low cal" snack or that breakfast from a box with something real that takes 5 minutes to make, but 20 minutes of foresight/planning will be beneficial in many ways.
  • hotrodzarate
    hotrodzarate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my favorite snack. Try smoothies in the morning. Yogurt, banana, your favorite berry and almond butter. Yummy. Add a little protein powder too.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

• Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Umm for me that would be 875 calories a day that's not correct