LADIES: Breast changes with weight loss... :(

Options
Embarrassing confession time.

Okay, so I've lost a lot of weight and I love it. 109 lbs, last count. I've also had (and breastfed) 3 babies in 4 years. Simply put, I miss my old rack. I was a 40DDD at my heaviest, I was a 34H when I was nursing my last baby (I had started losing weight at that time), and I just bought a (UK cup sizing) 30F. And that's actually MUCH smaller cup-wise than a 40DDD, when you consider that as the band size increases, so does the cup size- so the cup on, say, a 36B is much larger than the cup on a 32B. So while a 30F sounds great... the problem is, it's really not. This isn't a lovely full round type F cup, this is the size I have to buy because of excess skin.

My question is, can someone out there who's gone through something similar give me hope? How long will it take for that skin to un-stretch? Does it ever? Would I have to get an actual surgical lift to get things back up where they should be, or if I wait it out will things continue to improve?

Any personal experience stories would be lovely. I've always been really proud of my breasts (yes, yes, shallow, I know), and I miss that feeling.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Ive gone from a 42D to a 36B, bordering on 36deflatedwaterballoon. It's pathetic, really. I can damn near roll them up now to put in my bra.

I wish I would have some of the cellulite from my rump put into my chest. Sad......
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I never had large breasts- just regular. Breastfed for 1 yr 3 mos... My breasts actually perked up a bit after I began exercise and diet changes, I think the push ups gave me a little lift.
    8)
  • JessJessB
    JessJessB Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Joolie- That's EXACTLY the feeling I'm talking about... the water balloon thing. It sucks- pretty much the only thing about the weight loss that I regret.

You look great, by the way!

Jezebel- Yeah, I'm all about the push up bras. I can almost fit into a Victoria's Secret one without spillage- that will be a happy day.
  • JessJessB
    Options
    duplicate
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bunch of weight (close to 50lbs from my highest post-pregnancy weight) and nursed 2 babies for 1.5-2 years each. Never had much to begin with (36A) and now I'm a 32-looks-like-a-boy. Seriously, the fat guys on Biggest Loser have bigger ones than me. *sigh*

Having said that, I'd rather be skinny than heavy with slightly bigger boobs. And I'm a distance runner so being flat chested makes that easier.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was told that depending on your age and your skin renewal cells, it can take a year for stretch out skin to shrink up. However it really depends on the body and how much weight you've lost.

On a side note. I was a 34C before kids, with weight gain i was a 34DD. After nursing and weight loss I became a lopsided 34B. when I started doing heavy weight and strength training my boobs are back into a 34C.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience after kids, except my chest was far smaller. Mine never perked up again and now I have boobs that are forever perky. I spent a lot on my chest with a lift and implants. Sometimes I wish I would have left them alone but most of the time, I am glad I did some work on them.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Proportionality is attractive even if they are smaller overall. Plus, you can buy clothes that fit. If you loose 100 pounds and had the same boobs you started with, you'd have shirts that were tight across the chest or waaaayyyy to loose across your back.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Joolie- That's EXACTLY the feeling I'm talking about... the water balloon thing. It sucks- pretty much the only thing about the weight loss that I regret.

You look great, by the way

Thanks!! You do, too.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've never had kids, I started with 40D and now I have a 38D. I'm fine with the numbers going down and the cup staying big. Granted I've only lost 40ish pounds, still another 60 to go, but I'm hoping to keep the girls big!
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Before kids I was a full C cup. My boobs got huge with both pregnancies. I was spilling out of a D cup. After weight loss, weight gain... repeat that cycle. I can hardly fill a B. I also know the deflated balloon feeling. My last baby is 3 1/2. There is no hope for them.
  • ChocolateisCrack
    ChocolateisCrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Girls I didn't breast feed, but my boobs got so big while I was pregnant that it didn't matter, I am deflated. BUT, I would rather be this way and worse than be fat. If I lose weight and lose more boob, I don't care! I will feel better anyways! :D
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    You'll need surgery. I need it too wahhhh
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have small boobs, always have even during my pregnancy.. :( the one time in my life i thought i might experience real boobs... anyway i was a 36 a and now i lost a inch to 35 but i barely fill out a A cup now, i hate the fact that i may go to a AA cup :*( and that was only with a 11 lbs weigh loss :(
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

You look great, by the way!

Jezebel- Yeah, I'm all about the push up bras. I can almost fit into a Victoria's Secret one without spillage- that will be a happy day.
    NOOOOOOO~
    NO
    I meant push up exercises- maybe they are called press ups. You know the kind where you are on your toes and hands, pushing your body up?
    That's what gave my girls a lift!
  • JessJessB
    Options
    Ohhh! I like the sound of that better, because of course the problem with push up bras is eventually you take them off. Chest presses and push ups, that I can do.

Though it sounds like from the comments here that I probably have to face the fact that the deflated look won't be going away any time soon. I'm 31, maybe I'll reevaluate in a year and see how I'm feeling. I don't think I'd go the implants route, but I would prefer a perky B to a sad F.

Then again, I still feel 100x better than I did this time last year. I wouldn't go back for anything.
  • maciec
    maciec Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ive gone from a 42D to a 36B, bordering on 36deflatedwaterballoon. It's pathetic, really. I can damn near roll them up now to put in my bra.

I laughed so hard at this I choked on my drink! You totally describe the way that I feel! I didn't bf my babies, but over the years of yo-yo weight loss my girls are about to point south. I was watching Oprah (I think it was) one time and she had a plastic surgeon on. He said that it's time to get a lift when the girls point south. They aren't ever going to be perky again :-(
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have never breastfed or anything, TTC baby #1 now, but when I started to lose weight the first place it showed was my chest. I went from a 38D to a 38B :sad: I used to love them, but now I think they are so little. My husband isn't complaining, so I guess all is well. :laugh:
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost THAT much weight, never had kids, and I'm still young, but I've noticed a change in my breasts too. I went from a full 36C to a 34 C (maybe a B, but I was measured at VS and they said I'm a C, but I feel like they're pretty small) and there's a bit of excess skin and I'm afraid it will sag when I get older. I've been doing pec workouts (wide push-ups, weights, etc.) to strengthen the muscles under my breasts and keep them perky, but I know it won't lift them. Now I'm looking into skin firming creams because that seems to be my biggest issue. They're not saggy, but there is a bit of loose skin.

I came across this website where plastic surgeons (they're sort of biased because they're the ones who perform boob jobs, but they're still doctors) answer the question of whether or not breast lifting exercises actually work, and they all said it doesn't make a significant difference. The only way to lift breasts and remove excess skin is surgery.
    http://www.realself.com/question/breast-lifting-exercises
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Jess - I've gone from a 44C to a 42 B/C. My 44C have a lot of extra cup space. I'm thinking of trying a different bra design because of shrinkage and also just my general pear-shapedness.

As I've lost weight, I've found that lifting weights can help. Chest presses, even with just hand weights, can tighten the muscles behind the chest tissue. Also, there are different types of tricep and arm movements you can do to tighten what I lovingly refer too as "armpit boob" - that little fleshy pocket between your boob and your armpit. Mine is pretty much gone now from doing shoulder lifts above 90 degrees, different tricep lifts, and chest presses

I forgot - push ups and planking helps too. Planking places all of your body weight on your arms and your toes for as long as you hold the plank. That rocks your arms if you are weak and spongy like me.