People who can't help themselves

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
...From making comments

A few weeks ago I was at Whole Foods picking up some dinner to go, after a workout. I handed my closed box of food to the cashier who weighs it and says "wow you must be REALLY hungry! That's a ton of food!"
I ask, "Are you really making a judgment about how much I'm eating?"
She says, "I guess so, yeah?"
I say, "Okay, thanks for the comment"

If she had looked inside, she would have seen one chicken breast (with bones) and a bunch of broccoli.

I've been recovered from an ED that I lived with for two years. Within the past couple of months I've been trying to eat a decent amount of food to keep up with my active lifestyle, and it's comments like this that made me want to crawl into a hole and starve myself in the first place.

I hate people.

Replies

• lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    forget what a stupid cashier thinks, you and i both know that what we are eating is appropriate for our bodies in terms of the amount of exercise and weights you do. she is another one of these obnoxious people who doesnt know that you should normally to maintain weight! x
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    People don't have the right to judge how much food you're buying.

YOU know what you're putting in your body. YOU know it was only chicken breast and brocolli. Her opinion shouldn't matter at all (I know, and I understand, that it hurt you).

She probably looked at you, was jealous that you are damn fine, and wanted to shoot you down.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. i think a lot of this comes from hearing stupid comments my whole life from my family. if i took too much food "well i guess your eyes were bigger than your stomach" or other crap like that... always have to comment on what i'm eating and how much. it grew into an ED for me and i'm still facing some of the thoughts i have due to that... it's people who have to say that stuff that i want to scream at. but really when i think about it they don't knwo what i went through or what i'm going through. but it still bothers me
  • Mrsthickner
    Mrsthickner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hope you told her supervisor. I'm certain that Whole Foods doesn't conduct business that way and would not want their cashiers do so either.
    People are generally not nice and don't have a clue as to what they speak about. I wouldn't pay her no mind honey. Just keep working on you and your eating habits and let it roll off your back.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't let the ignorance of others de-rail your efforts. I probably would have opened the box up and showed her the "TON OF FOOD" and reminded her not to judge. You can't judge a book by it's cover nor a meal by it's weight. :wink:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant anything by it. The box was heavy; that's what she said. It's her job to talk to you. She didn't call you fat or say you were overeating or make any assumptions about you, negative or otherwise. You could have said anything in response, "Broccoli weighs a lot, doesn't it?" or something. You jumped to the conclusion that she's judging you instead.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    I once had a cashier question me on the amount of produce I was buying. It was something along the lines of "Wow - are you a rabbit? You didn't get anything from the rest of the store!"

Apparently he doesn't know how to eat healthy! :)
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This happened to my mum before in a supermarket
    Another customer commented on her overflowing trolley
    My mum said 'I'm having a family gathering of 10 people round tonight IS THAT OK WITH YOU?'
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I would have told her "Yeah, I'm really hungry because I just did an hour of Crossfit. What did you do today?"
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think it was more likely that she looked at you and how in shape you are and was surprised at the weight of the food in your box. I really don't think she meant any harm. Probably blurted it out without thinking.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a cashier tell me this weekend that I shouldn't eat tuna because it was high in Mercury. I told her, "Well, I don't think 2 cans a week is excessive and I'm not pregnant so I'm not hurting anyone else. Plus when I was in school we put our fingers right in a beaker of Mercury. If that didn't kill me I'm sure the tuna won't." and walked out. People can be so lame sometimes!!!:flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah I realize that she is ignorant and it shouldn't bother me, but none of us are completely invulnerable to other peoples' comments and even though we know we should shrug it off, it's hard not to take it to heart. Little comments like that as MJ says are tiny pushes toward an ED. They add up. I'm not going to blame anyone else for my ED but I wasn't confident and secure enough to let people's remarks bounce off of me, and it fed my self-doubt. Making comments about peoples' food is so unnecessary, especially when you should be proffessional about someone's groceries. I really wanted to punch her in the face for that.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get comments like this all the time... You must be hungry... do you have a lot of people to feed.... guess you are stocking up for a month... you won't go hungry this week. Makes me wonder what kind of comments people get who come through with two carts of food or a flat bed of stuff from Costco. People can be retarded.

I was at Chic Fil A with a friend who is Chinese and the cashier said to her... wow... you don't look like you would be able to speak English like that. (She speaks perfect English). Dork.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant anything by it. The box was heavy; that's what she said. It's her job to talk to you. She didn't call you fat or say you were overeating or make any assumptions about you, negative or otherwise. You could have said anything in response, "Broccoli weighs a lot, doesn't it?" or something. You jumped to the conclusion that she's judging you instead.

It came off as judgemental. She should've kept her mouth shut if she didn't have anything positive to say. I talk to my cahsiers all the time but normally they will say ooh that looks good have you tried it before? But to come out and say that weighs alot you must be hungry IS HER JUDGING. Next time look at her name badge and report her. She probably won't lose her job but should at least get a lesson in customer service.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that happened to you; some people are so rude! I can't imagine saying that to anyone; much less a stranger. I applaud your composure, and the way you handled it. Please don't let it cause you to go back to an unhealthy relationship with food. Hang in there!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once. I had a frozen pizza, a bottle of wine, and big bar of chocolate (this of course was before MFP), and the cashier made a similar comment... "are you going to eat all that?" I just looked at her like.. WTF business is that of yours? Totally pissed me off. Don't let it derail you though.. "I see stupid people"
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You could have also spoken to her manager about being rude. She is in customer service and that is not the kind of person the store probably wants representing them.
  • beautifulbrat
    beautifulbrat Posts: 171
    Options
    I have dealt with friends having/recovering from ed and I'm a cashier as well. I won't say anything about people's groceries, but sometimes if its something that catches my eye, I'll check out the nutrition label and ask them what is it like. But some people can be flat out rude and I'm sorry that the lady was that way
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At work we have a salad bar where they charge by the pound. Once I get done pilling on all the greens and veggies it gets pretty heavy, which of course has zero bearing on how healthy it is. People can be real idiots sometimes.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Having worked in a retail situation before, I know I said tons of probably really sumb things to people. When you just check people out all day you look for ways to start conversations. It was probably harmless.