Trying to lose weight while working in a restaurant

Options
2»

Replies

• callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I go to culinary school where we learn FRENCH techniques, which means everything has hefty amounts of fat. Naturally, I have to try my food to make sure it tastes right. To help me not feel so guilty about my food tasting, I eat pretty healthy in the mornings (a good breakfast of eggs or oatmeal) and try to go on a jog. I like to bring healthy snacks with me to school, and then go to the gym after class.

If you can't resist eating something at work or forgot to pack a lunch, I think the best way to go is to make sure you have portion control.
  • amberjoy84
    amberjoy84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The problem with taking a break as a server is that you then miss out on tables. Tables= money you need to pay rent. As a server, a half hour break can cost you quite a bit of money. I've thought about having healthy snack in my apron pockets, but all of our POS's are on the floor in guest view. Anybody have any other suggestions? Also, a lot of times you can get fired for eating on the clock (depending on store policy)
  • amberjoy84
    amberjoy84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants, you don't get a break unless you're working a double, and sometimes not even then
  • caitlinashe511
    caitlinashe511 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this is a year later, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents!!

I've worked in restaurants for years upon years. I am now returning to the serving world after a 2 1/2 year break, and during this break I have been much healthier and fit. I'm struggling now, because I see weight packing back on despite my walking miles and miles during my shifts. I even work at a healthy, organic restaurant!

In the past, the way I was thin while working at a resto was not healthy -- I used to skip meals and eat small amounts of anything. I would cut out everything from the restaurant (even the clandestine bread under the host stand!) and just starve during shifts. If I didn't do this, I would gain weight from all the bread and sodas I would consume to keep me full.

In the return to serving, the owner of the restaurant just told us that she doesn't want drinks in the server station (she wants us to drink it out of the glass right then and there, then put it in dish), no employee food kept in the walk-in, and all snacks kept upstairs in the stock room where we keep all of our stuff. So, my plan is this: keep snacks in my pockets (like Just a Handful almonds from Trader Joe's, a fiber bar/Luna bar/Larabar, some baby carrots), drink a glass of water every hour, eat something with protein before my shift, and only eat salads if I'm eating at work after my shift. I'm also going to get in the habit of working out before and after my shift, something like run before the shift, yoga afterwords. I think this'll work!

Just yesterday, I forgot to bring snacks and my hunger took me over, I had to step into the back and eat bread, and then I grabbed a soda to supplement it. Someone said to me "Well, this is why you eat before your shift". My shift started at 10 and it was 1:45pm. What!! Of course I eat before my shift!! Sometimes the disconnect between kitchen/managers and servers drives me crazy!!