Do I count calories from fruits and vegetables?

Options
I did WW for a while and fruits and veggies were "free" (except corn, potatoes, avocados, and bananas). I'm counting the calories of everything that I eat except the fruits and veggies; I feel like I shouldn't "punish" myself for choosing cherry tomatoes over Hershey's kisses.

Should I be counting the calories of ALL the foods I eat, including the fruits and veggies? Again, I don't want to "punish" myself by subtracting calories from my daily amount, even though I chose wisely. Suggestions? Anyone else not counting their fruit and vegetable calories?

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It isn't a punishment, it is just an honest account of what you are taking in. No more, no less.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it before. I normally count them since the fruits and veggies never have too many calories in them anyway.
  • skyecita
    skyecita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I count them. I record everything in MFP, even diet soda, coffee and splenda. I imagine it depends on how many calories of veggies you are eating whether it makes a big difference. I think I eat about 100-150 calories of veggies a day.
  • lindquistfamof4
    lindquistfamof4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say account for everything you put in your mouth. It helps you keep track of the good stuff you are giving your body. Doing this also helps you track the sugars (even natural sugars) you're putting in your body. Fruits can be high in calories and by not counting them you may be sabatoging your weight loss. It also helps me realize why I am eating. If I have to log in and account for it I think about whether I am really hungry. Good luck to you :) I am 16.2 pounds down since March 20th :)
  • ilovekc
    ilovekc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anything you eat has to be logged
  • jessicakate329
    Options
    I came here from weight watchers as well and I loved the free fruit and vegetables. On MFP I track fruit just because it does have sugar but I rarely track vegetables unless they're in some kind of sauce or butter. Do whatever works for you and if you find you're not losing then start tracking everything.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth, then count it.
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    Anything that I intake I count including fruits and veggies. I also count if I cook, saute, bake, roast, ect. I wouldn't see it as punishment; I'd just be honest about intake. Most, in moderation, aren't that bad in calories.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Whoaa....there's a whole lot of food psychology going on in that statement. Let me break it down easy for you - IF YOU BITE IT YOU WRITE IT. It is all calories consumed so it counts!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I include them because they do add up and I also want the nutrients to show up on my diet. I always try to get more iron and calcium from my food, but I mostly have to suppliment because on 1200 + exercise calories it is hard to get all daily nutrients.
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log in every calorie I eat. Otherwise it would be like cheating for me. Especially fruit has a lot of calories too.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Well -- I've eaten ~350 calories of vegetables today. If I didn't count them, I'd be thinking I was a lot more under calories than I am :P
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit is sugar. Write it down.
  • parliskim
    parliskim Posts: 14
    Options
    I count everything. Then I have a black and white account for what I ate that day.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP is a food diary. Veg and fruit is food. QED it goes in the diary.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason for using the site is to learn what foods fit in your life and what foods do not. Vegetables and fruits come with nutrients you'd struggle to get anywhere else.

Personally, I count them, because I also track nutrients. So the few calories they take up are well worth it in watching the nutrient counts climb so fast.

Don't see it as a penalty - this is different from Weight Watchers, this site actually wants you to learn about FOOD, not just mystic numbers called "Points" that they've patented and want to keep charging you for. And the only person benefiting from the diary is YOU.
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I count everything I eat -- especially if you eat quite a few fruits and veggies, the calories can add up. I had a salad for lunch, which had 100 of the calories came from the veggies, and another 38 from my peach. If you eat veggies or fruits at every meal, it could be a 2-300 calories difference (or more) at the end of the day.
  • vrutwind
    vrutwind Posts: 25
    Options
    I log them. There are no such things as free calories if you are calorie counting. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, so if I didn't count them my log would look like I was living off egg whites and almond butter!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and fruits do have calories, so don't fool yourself. Today I've eaten 124 calories in fruits and vegetables so far, and it isn't even dinner yet. I probably hit 200-300 most days, and that's quite a bit to be over by. I was a bit shocked when I started tracking things like ketchup, steak sauce... all those little things add up!

You can log them and account for them exactly. Or, you can reduce your calorie goal to build in an approximate cushion, and eat about the same amount daily. But just don't be fooled that they're "free". Nothing is.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth count it. :)