To those big losers out there :-)

Options

Replies

• Cookme1
    Cookme1 Posts: 15
    Options
    In my opinion running right off the block is not a good idea. From all I have read, walking is the best way to start. Move up to some short runs at a moderate pace and increase as you feel stronger and lighter.
    If you have access to an eliptical trainer you can adjust your cardio to your specific needs.
    It has been my experience that most people that start out with an intense jog, stop jogging and trash their whole program eventualy.
    You can even chart the level of your walks on MFP.
    IT seems that when starting a new life style and exercise program "baby steps" is the way to start and stay interested.
    Good Luck
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    Started at 255lbs. I couldnt run so I walked and built up to running 5 miles a day 5 days a week. After I lost more I switched to 3'days of running and 3 days of lifting weights. I still love running and will fit in a run when ever I can. :drinker:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds by walking. My speed increased over time as I lost weight and gained condition. I didn't start running until I was already at a healthy weight and mainly just run for the sheer joy of being able to. Ten years ago I thought I'd never run again. It's amazing what our bodies can do with some time and effort.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I started running at about 230lbs. I am now about 200 lbs and I am getting better and better. I stopped running for a few months and came back to it or I'd be further along. I love running. Just go as fast as you can without feeling like you're gonna pass out and keep at it. Your stamina will increase incredibly. I have tried all kinds of DVDs and workouts and I find running to be my favorite so far. =) You can do it too!
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started running last August at ~218 lbs. I've been running ever since, tracking my food on MFP and doing occasional strength training. I've lost over 50 lbs and I'm not done yet. I've run a 5k, 10k and my first half is in a week. Start slow with good shoes and you can do it!
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill at 255 lbs and just like everyone else when I first started it was really difficult. But i think that is the case no matter what size you start at. It's all about building endurance, knowing your body and testing its limits. I went from barely being able to jog at a 4.5 for a minute to being able to jog and entire mile at a 5.0 and I still weigh 230 lbs. Just get moving and never be ashamed of how hard it is or of your ability level or if you need to walk for a few minutes. I personally love run walk intervals. The point is you are doing it...and that's way more than all the folks sitting on the couch watching tv can say!
  • jestersvk
    jestersvk Posts: 49
    Options
    I started running pretty much at your weight.... It was hell, and I couldn't run for more than 3 minutes. And after those 3 minutes I couldn't really continue. But with time I got better and now I can go for about 30 minutes without stopping. It could be better but I don't really like running so I use it only as an exercise fill on days when I couldn't go swimming. I also don't go to a gym (at least not regularly) and except for a few pushups ans situps I don't do any other exercise.

My personal advise if you want to take up running is to get some good shoes. They won't make you run faster or longer like the ads would have us believe but at least your joints wont hurt as much.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I started cycling and then hit the pool as the summer came to an end. Swimming is most definitely my #1 exercise of choice and I couldn't have lost as much weight so quickly and safely without it :bigsmile:

Unfortunately, I can't run as I'm pigeon-toed and if that wasn't bad enough, my ankles give way after about 2 mins too, so any dreams I have of doing a Sprint Triathlon would have to involve power-walking rather than running.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I gotta respond...my weight loss goal is similar to the OP...I think you want to lose 90 pounds right?

I started walking in October of last year...and lost about 25 pounds...I was around 235 I think when I first attempted the Couch to 5K program. I ran the first minute...but just about died the second minute and I was super frustrated and quit. Well I kept walking...anywhere from 10-20 miles per week...and just last week I felt the urge to RUN!

So now at 212 ( I am 5'9")... I just started the C25K program again. And I completed the first two days with no problem! Yeah it's tough, but the sense of accomplishment makes following the program so worth it!

I just started a little group of about 7 of my Facebook friends and we are all doing it together...if you decide to start, you might wanna do that too. You then have accountability and it helps to share your accomplishments!

And I will second ( maybe 8th) the comments on get good shoes. They are worth more than the $100 in pain if you don't do it.
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started Couch to 5k 5.5 weeks ago and I love it! I'm 6'0 and weigh 276lb currently. When I started out I had some pain in my hips, but I don't have any now. Please, take your running outside! It feels great to get outside and work your tail off! I go to the track at the school right down the road.
  • voyagerintrepid
    voyagerintrepid Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After having done ballet for 10 years my knees don't like it very much when I run no matter how many times I get fitted for the correct running shoe. I prefer dancing. I've been doing Zumba at home plus bellydancing. I haven't lost a lot yet but I do believe doing what's fun is way more important to your success. I started at 230 so don't be scared! We all started at some point. :) Good luck to you!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I started "running" at 290# - but honestly, long slow cardio isn't the best for weight/fat loss. After a certain point you start burning muscle (this is partly why distance runners typically maintain or even gain weight during their training). Muscle is what burns fat, and if you're burning muscle by doing too much cardio, you're being counterproductive. Your best bet is to do a moderate amount of exercise balanced between cardio and strength training. The strength training will help you build/keep muscle and give you better tone once the fat is gone. You'll look better in the end and be a lot stronger than if you just do cardio.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have always hated running....even on my lighter days in high school....hated running that mile in PE.

At my heaviest I started walking first just a mile, and as the weight came off the miles got more and more. I walk at least 5over to six miles a day and now I have started running and love it!!! Up to running almost 1.5 miles but it is added into my walking miles.

My ultimate goal is to run a 1/2 marathon.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started running at around 264 With the c25k to ease myself into it I wasn't running very fast but was doing the running movement I was working on stamina first then to work on speed Im going back to it tomorrow after being sick thinking about just starting the program again since i just also started 30day shred oh I'm at 231pounds now and I have never been a runner :)
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've just started working on integrating jogging into my fitness regime, along with biking...I'm loving the challenge of it all. I might not be able to jog for more than two minutes at a time, but I usually try and jog two minutes worth every 10 minutes. I don't even think about it, it's weird, i just kinda WANT to do....I've been swimming since this journey started and can pretty much go non-stop...Just wish I knew how to go faster, my mechanics seem to be okay, just something ain't clicking in the speed department...I think that is what irks me the most about swimming laps...I like riding my bike and finding that my stamina gets better and my push up the hills get better...Just wish my old tailbone injury would be kinder to me afterward..There are so many healthy activities out there, and so much of the world too see, that just sticking with one activity would bore me...My ultimate goal is to participate in a triathlon and finish....I don't care what place I come in, I just want to finish....Good Luck to you ALL!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do not run, never have run and have no intention of running. I do cardio at the gym. (stairmaster, arc trainer and treadmill and the fastest speed i go is 3.6mph. I also lift weights.)
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think your son riding his bike, even with the training wheels, is a perfect workout partner. Keeping pace with him will ensure you start slow and don't do too much too soon, thus avoiding injury. As you both get better, the pace will pick up naturally.

This is a great idea.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I mainly walked, first 60 minutes then 75, then 90, then 105. I set a weight at which I would pick up running (210 lbs.) and started throwing in some intervals of running, then gradually working up. You can do it, but make sure you go get a GOOD pair of running shoes. Take your old shoes to a good running store and spend at least $90-100. Gradually work towards where you want to be. For some the pressure on the joints is too severe, which is why the elliptical is so popular.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I started running at 229lbs...and now 9 months later I am 177lbs...so it does work, but it's not the only thing I have done. I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, zumba, davina fit dvd and lots of walks in my lunchtime. I started with C25K if that helps. Friend me if you would like support :)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Started running once I had lost most of my wt because I could! And I started at around 225 and my friend has been running since she was 260lbs. don't let your wt stop you plus for most people it starts falling off!
    I do 30DS not religiously but just started that to get some resistance training in and I will join the gym in the fall.
    Running is addictive for some..I can't say I'm addicted but just finished 10k and looking at starting to train for 1/2 marathon in the fall/winter.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!