Do you exerice everyday or take a break?

I have alot to use and my goal is to exercise at least 5 times a week and I take the weekends off. I wondering if I should exercise everyday to get the pounds off. Thanks for any input:smile:

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    You will run into alot of debates because there are no such things as a straight-across-the-board method.

Personally for me, I like my workouts Monday thru Friday 4:45am for a good 60-75 minutes each. I take the weekends off to recouperate.

Some people will workout every day, while others are struggling to even do one day per week..

If you do have concerns it wouldnt help to talk with your PCP... they know you better and your individual circumstances.
  • Currently I work out 6 days a week, and rest on Sunday. It really depends on your fitness goals and current activity level, my dear! 5 times a week sounds great, already!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    I dont usually work out on the weekends but I do count different things like yard work and housecleaning as a work out Im usually at the gym 5 days a week with Zumba and weight and the elliptical I think you should take rest days.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    The Big Bang Theory is an awful television show.

LOL :huh:
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    I workout mon-sat and rest on sunday. although i have had to take an extra rest day before because i was either too sore or too tired to workout
  • zumbaabby
    zumbaabby Posts: 59
    I don't have 'set' days that I workout...I have days that I teach Zumba...but the other days I just go on how my body feels. I worked out really hard thursday...did some new things like spin, step, etc, and I taught an hour of Zumba yesterday...so I am uber sore today. I am just gonna hit the pool. I think it depends on how hard you push your body and what your goals are. Just be careful not to over do it!
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    I just started working out Tuesday again and I have done every day. I will probably take 1 day off a week unless I go over my calories:).....I think u just have to find what works for you. I think they recommend cardio 3-4 days a weeks and strength 2-3 days a week. Good luck with your journey!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    I do some form of exercise every day. I go to gym M - F and workout is around 45 - 50 minutes. Weekends I do easy exercise like walking dog or hiking with family. Do what works best for you.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    I am in a last man standing contest, so I exercise every day. But I don't work hard everyday. Most days are a 3-4 mile walk. Other days I do circuit training, or jogging. I think as long as you are decreasing your activity and allowing your body to recupperate, from heavy exercise days, you can still exercise 7 days a week. Make walking on the weekend a family thing. It doesn't have to be "workout" per se, just a leisurely walk for a few miles. I walk to the park and let the kids play, while I jog around the park. My map my walk app tracks the distance & time and pace, so I can log it on here accurately.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    I run three days a week, and play hockey two. Sometimes I take a walk, a swim, a skate or a bike ride with my family as well.

It is good to have at least one solid rest day. If you are new, 3 days a week is plenty. it is probably better to increase those workout times to an 45-60 minutes before adding new days.

You body will know. After a month or so, I try to get 2 rest days in a row. Again, your body will know. Soreness it not the same as exhaustion, and not the same as tired (need sleep), get to know the difference.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    i am pretty active every day of the week. im a personal trainer so i am constantly up and about, lifting weights, handing them off, spotting someone or even working out with them. whatever clients wannt, i will do. i plan my next day by the previous days work. if i find myself doing a lot more than the usual, then i take an "active day of rest" meaning, no actual workout for me. just working with clients.you just have to play with your calories to make sure you are not taking in more than you are burning off!! hope this helps:smile:
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    I try to workout atleast 3-5 days a week. I do try and do a little cardio on the days im not at the gym. I really need to do more but its hard for me to get motivated and since I'm sore on my off days I don't feel to bad. I did 60 military push ups on Wednesday and it was still hard to do TRX on Friday because I was so sore. Hopefully soon I will be able to make myself do 5 days every week! Good luck to you I think 5 days is great!
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    My trainer wants me to take more days off, but I've exercised 110 of the last 111 days. Yes, some more intense than others, but at least one hour per day.

I feel good, and for me making exercise a habit is really important. If I skip a day, it's too easy to then skip two and so on, so I keep at it. But, everyone differs.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    I'd go with what you are feeling. The more strenuous the exercise, the more time you will need to recover.

Do what you can do for the rest of your life. It's a lifestyle change! :flowerforyou:
  • MadieWorld
    MadieWorld Posts: 6
    Currently I work out 6 days a week, and rest on Sunday. It really depends on your fitness goals and current activity level, my dear! 5 times a week sounds great, already!

^this
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    I exercise every day, but I don't do the same things. Currently, 7 days a week I do 30DS, 3 days I walk and 2 days I have a salsa class.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    I exercise about three days a week. Occasionally i'll exercise more if I know i'll be attending an event later that day, or sometime that week. Just so I can eat without having worry wrinkles form every time I put something in my mouth.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Stay active

Do something everyday...If you are a person who goes hard in the gym or some sort of program 3 days a week....

Go for a walk or a swim on your off days

Stay active everyday...

I workout roughly 4 to 5 days a week...but on my days off...I still go for a walk or light cardio on the elliptical....

Stay active
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    If I had a lot to lose I would work out 5 to 6 times a week, doing 45 to 60 minutes of cardio each time. I would also do some light strength training a few days. I would try to take a brisk, or at least a long walk on my days off.
  • My goal is 4 days a week. I add a fifth if I'm feeling strong or feeling a little out of control of what I'm eating. I'm more disciplined when I work out, and actually less hungry. I think it's a psychological thing-- I don't want to undo all that hard wok with unhealthy stuff.

I try not to take more than one day off at a time. The hardest thing I have to do is actually get to the gym, so consistency is important to me. But you need to give your body a rest once in a while, and you need to listen to your body-- don't hurt yourself. That's my completely unscientific humble opinion :)