Ever Get Any Back-Handed Compliments?

Options

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    "Eat a Sandwich" - like um thanks?
    or always calling me "skinny girl" when they talk to me, but the way they say it doesn't sound like a compliment.

It's like, I like that people think I'm skinny but you're insulting me saying it like that or instead of actually complimenting me or commenting on my weight loss you just tell me to eat more....why so I can me unhappy and chubby and jealous of skinnier people again?

I've got that too! Since I've lost weight, I've been told I need to eat a cheeseburger! Ummmm - really?? I've only just recently hit the *normal* weight for my height (and that's at the high end), pretty sure I don't need to stuff my face with cheeseburgers daily, thanks for the advice!

Ha! It's like, what am I? A LOL cat?

HAHA, right?? I don't go around telling people what to eat, so please don't give me unsolicited advice!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you look 10 years younger".

Ummm...I'm only 34. Does that mean that I looked 44 when I was fat, or now I look like I'm 24?
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    one girl said i was cute but unattractive....i didnt know what to say to that.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    My gym buddy said to me, "... you've lost so much weight your stretch marks are really showing". :noway:
    That is one of life's cruel tricks. That and less boobage for us women.
    But honestly, when I see my stretch marks and loose skin I think it is just a badge of honor representing what I have accomplished. It honestly doesn't bother me and I have no S.O. to worry about. Now if someone else mentioned it I would pop them in the face.
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "When did you get hot?"

b*tch, since the womb.

Ha! Nice!
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Three come to mind.

1) 6 years ago while back home in Ireland, "you haven't changed a bit!" from a woman I went to high school with. I'm thinking "I was fat & gray haired in high school?"

2) You carry your weight well. Always a favorite.

3) At work - "What's up big guy?" from the nearly 7 foot drug dealer in cuffs (I'm freakin 5'6"!!!!!)
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've got the mother of them all.

My boss, "You are such a beautiful woman, its a shame you are so heavy or you would be beating guys off with a stick"

I told him "I am fat on purpose, it weeds out the shallow guys like you."

That was 6 years ago before I married my wonderful husband.
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yeah... well guy's get things like, "WOW, you've lost so much weight!! I bet you can see your _____ Better now!!" Whats wrong with people?....

OMG You are kidding me!!!

Im not kidding you but with that said... I didn't have then, and I definitely don't have problems now!!! LOL!
  • MindyBlack
    Options
    This isn't really a back handed compliment, pretty much just an insult. My (now former) boss told me that as I was losing weight my brain was getting sucked out too. Can you guess why he is a former boss?
  • MindyBlack
    Options
    I've got the mother of them all.

My boss, "You are such a beautiful woman, its a shame you are so heavy or you would be beating guys off with a stick"

I told him "I am fat on purpose, it weeds out the shallow guys like you."

That was 6 years ago before I married my wonderful husband.

Perfect answer!!!! I nominate you for best comeback!
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I tell my mom my clothing size and she freaks out that I'm "too skinny". Then I turn around and say, "But I weigh 140 lbs" (at the time, I did) and she says, "Well you don't look that big".

So first I'm too skinny? Then my healthy weight makes me fat? Gee. Thanks.
  • rachelminus100
    Options
    My boyfriend, though he doesn't realize it, occasionally offends me by telling me "Oh I love you now, but I can't even imagine how much I'll want you once you've lost some weight!" I mean he has a good *ehem* appetite as it, however I just find it insulting that he'll want it MORE once I'm skinnier. It makes me feel so awkward.
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    "You look great, for just having a kid."

Any variation of your face is beautiful, amazing, etc. I have a rest of me too :) My face is completely disproportionate to my body though -- you couldn't tell I'm overweight by a picture of my face.
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    "You seem pretty cool - but do you always where those rings in your lip?"

B*tch.
    I think they look damn cool! :)
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend, though he doesn't realize it, occasionally offends me by telling me "Oh I love you now, but I can't even imagine how much I'll want you once you've lost some weight!" I mean he has a good *ehem* appetite as it, however I just find it insulting that he'll want it MORE once I'm skinnier. It makes me feel so awkward.

My husband does the same thing sometimes. Except, we've spoken about it and he does his best to catch himself. He says, "I can't help it. Your confidence has increased so much since you've lost weight. It's really hot." So I don't think they mean it to be hurtful.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,128 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look so young for your age; but then being heavy plumps out the wrinkles.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year me and another guy were talking about eating better. I told him "I'm 245 and need to get down to 220". He said "Wow, I never would have guessed that. You carry it well. I only weigh 185. I used to be over 200 once myself." I felt like saying. "Right, and I'm 6'2" and your 5'5" which would explain the difference in goals." Anytime I tell someone I weigh over 200 lbs I get this look of shock as if they suddenly realized I was a fatty all along. "Wow, over 200? You carry it really well."

My goal weight is 220. Guess I'll still be fat then. LOL
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    An ER doctor I once worked with said " wow , I leave for military service for a few months and you turn into a babe ! "
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    I forgot when I told the woman while I was in labor how much I weigh, she said WOW it doesn't look like you weigh that much!
  • OddBookOut
    OddBookOut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ever get asked if you're pregnant or when the baby's due? I've gotten that a few times!