Fruit Consumption = to much sugar?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    This is probably a really stupid question, but: does it have the same amount of protein? I'm a fairly new Vegetarian ( Ethical reasons not weight loss) so dairy is one of my main sources of protein.
    My vegan friend just blew a blood vessel at the idea that you are ethical and consume dairy !

http://www.silkpurealmond.com has a new product that mentions protein, their standard stuff is 1g protein per cup but cows milk is 8g per cup.

These fake milks are usually just sweetened emulsions of an oil - almond, soy, coconut etc.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    Fruit is just sugar.

The only thing fruit does for you is give you carbohydrates - sugar.

OK, it has a couple of vitamins, but so what? Any good green vegetables, not to mention any good piece of beautiful meat, utterly eclipses any trivial "vitamin" benefit in fruits.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries.

Interestingly strawberries are the one thing you can eat with the highest ratio of apparent sweetness, to actual carbohydrates.

(After strawberries, other berries.)

NEVER, EVER eat things like bananas. A typical whole banana has like FIFTY grams of carbs, for God's sake.

We were never "meant" to eat bananas, they are an utterly unnatural food imported from the far tropics.

Incredibly, an enormous HUNDRED GRAM serving of strawberries, has only a tiny say 5 or 7 grams of carbs.

THAT IS NOT A TYPO, read it again and check it up on calorieking or whatever.

Get facts on your side!

So a strawberry snack, say a huge 50 gram bowl of strawberries, gives you a massive sweet kick to the human olfactory / gustation / orthonasal / retronasal / chemesthesis systems .. and you've only eaten literally 3 or 4 carbs. Whereas eating a banana, which does not "seem" as sweet as a bowl of strawbs, has an insane FIFTY or much more grams of carbs.

If you're trying to lose fat, eating a banana is almost crazy.

Reach for the strawberries.

After gourmet strawberries, you have other gourmet berries like blackberries and blueberries - yum.

After that, what about some watermelon? Look at the figures. You can munch a huge 100 gram slice of watermelon and you get very few carbs or calories.

I like what researcher Gary Taubes says about fruit juice: "It is sugar, with some water in it, and a little multivitamin mixed in. The only thing worse for you that fruit juice is more fruit juice."

Get science and facts on your side! Eliminate fat!

LOOK at the carb grams contained in fruit before you eat it.

KNOWLEDGE is power -- don't act on vague rumours.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries, the "miracle" fruit.

You reference Taubes, but suggest eliminating fat. Which is it?

Also want to add that I don't follow Taubes. Just wanted to point out the conflict in your statement.
  • yarwell
    No added sugar orange juice still has as much sugar as coca cola. Fruit is sugar, fruit juice is fruit with a bit of animal feed taken away (pulp).
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Here is a site that has a nice run down of all the awesome benefits of different fruits and how they can contribute to a healthy, balanced diet: http://www.squidoo.com/nutritional-guide-to-fruits
  • yarwell
    You reference Taubes, but suggest eliminating fat. Which is it?
    he meant body fat, not dietary fat ??
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    So, From the advice I have been given so far I'm going to try this:

- I will NOT stop eating fruits
    - I will try to eat the lower sugar content fruits more often.
    - I will only eat 1 banana a week.
    - I will only track the sugars from none natural sources.
    - I will start trying some soy or almond milks.

Thank you all for your advice!
  • Lushaholic
    This is probably a really stupid question, but: does it have the same amount of protein? I'm a fairly new Vegetarian ( Ethical reasons not weight loss) so dairy is one of my main sources of protein.
    My vegan friend just blew a blood vessel at the idea that you are ethical and consume dairy !

http://www.silkpurealmond.com has a new product that mentions protein, their standard stuff is 1g protein per cup but cows milk is 8g per cup.

These fake milks are usually just sweetened emulsions of an oil - almond, soy, coconut etc.

My reasons are Ethical and yes I know what dairy and eggs are all about, I am still trying to educate myself on not eating meat and how to replace it, once I have completed this I plan on becoming a vegan, but I have been eating meat for the first 21 years of my life, Its not something I can personally just give up over night, but it is something I do plan on doing, I also respect your Vegan friend for becoming a Vegan and I also respect her reasons for not understanding mine.
  • Lushaholic
    Here is a site that has a nice run down of all the awesome benefits of different fruits and how they can contribute to a healthy, balanced diet: http://www.squidoo.com/nutritional-guide-to-fruits

Thank you I will check this out. :)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

My food diary is open if you need to look.

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.

Nope, 1g of protein in my almond milk. Dairy is insufficient as a main source of protein (unless you have something like 8 servings a day). For protein, I would add a protein powder. That's what a nutritionist recommended for me.
  • Lushaholic
    The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

I will have to look into this, maybe I can make a fruit smoothie in the morning with this.

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.

Nope, 1g of protein in my almond milk. Dairy is insufficient as a main source of protein (unless you have something like 8 servings a day). For protein, I would add a protein powder. That's what a nutritionist recommended for me.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    I stopped tracking sugar and started tracking sodium instead. Once I did that I started losing weight and stopped obsessing about my dang sugar! As long as I don't go over with carbs...which I rarely do - and I DO eat bananas - I know I am in the right place.
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    1 banana a week?? what?
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    I say eat any fruit you like whenever you want. As long as you stay within your calories you'll be fine. Bananas are wonderful and I eat them whole. Great pre-workout nutrition...potassium aids muscle contraction, the sugars provide fuel, and they digest fairly quickly. According to MFP, one medium orange in a day puts me over my sugars. Kind of ridiculous. As long as you're not eating donuts and muffins, I wouldn't stress about the sugar.
  • Athena98501

I will have to look into this, maybe I can make a fruit smoothie in the morning with this.

A fruit smoothie is exactly how I take my protein powder. I use a whey protein powder I got at Costco. The flavor is vanilla, but it smells and tastes like vanilla and coconut. It's fabulous in a smoothie recipe I made myself. 3/4-1c almond milk (dependent on preference), one scoop protein powder (mine is 27g protein/scoop), 1c raspberries, 1/2 blackberries, ice to taste. I'm going to try adding spinach, too. I've read it only changes the color and nutritional value, not the taste.
  • Athena98501
    I stopped tracking sugar and started tracking sodium instead. Once I did that I started losing weight and stopped obsessing about my dang sugar! As long as I don't go over with carbs...which I rarely do - and I DO eat bananas - I know I am in the right place.

I did this too, and I agree that keeping sodium down is more important than sugar (unless you're diabetic). There's nothing wrong with bananas. I eat 4-5/week. You could always try a strawberry banana smoothie with protein powder. :-)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    If you don't have a problem with your blood sugar, I wouldn't worry about it. There really isn't a whole lot to recommend the preset macros that MFP puts us all on. [I am assuming you are not primal or atkins or something else where you are choosing to limit your sugars/carbs].
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member

Actual milk (sorry, but you can't milk an almond) has many nutrients that cannot be found in these milk alternatives. Unless someone has a medical condition, they are far better off drinking dairy, especially if they are not over in net calories.
  • Lushaholic
    Nope, I am not, just overweight, so maybe I should change it up and track my sodium, and eat my fruit and see how that goes.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    A piece of fruit that has maybe 27g of sugar is far better than a block of chocolate with 27g of sugar.................................don't worry about it!! No one has ever got fat eating a heap of fruit- you probably crap it all out pretty quick anyway- fruit has the tendency to do that:)
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member

I did this too, and I agree that keeping sodium down is more important than sugar (unless you're diabetic). There's nothing wrong with bananas. I eat 4-5/week. You could always try a strawberry banana smoothie with protein powder. :-)
    Got a recipe for that................?? :) Sounds good!!!
    I have a fruit/ protein powder shake that I make, but it's more of a recovery thing than a snack.