Fruit Consumption = to much sugar?

Options

Replies

• elisabej
    elisabej Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking my sugar on MFP and decided that since they can't separate natural sugars from artificial, I stopped tracking that since I don't eat artificial/processed sugars. I only eat fresh or frozen fruit (not canned or dried) and I am not diabetic so I don't worry about it. I changed that tracker to follow my cholesterol. :) Don't cut fruits out of your diet, they (all fruit) are good for you.
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fruit is full of antioxidents, cancer preventing and extremely good for your health. Everything in moderation and a balanced diet. Don't worry about too much sugar, unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it is from fruit. Just don't eat something crazy like 30 servings a day....:) Good luck to you!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking my sugar. I'm always under on total carbs and tracking sugar was just frustrating. I track fiber instead. Trust me, I need to track fiber. I'm much happier that way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Best advice I could give here, don't track sugar. Like someone said, it is part of your carbs. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, then I wouldn't worry about it.

^^totally this.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

The only thing fruit does for you is give you carbohydrates - sugar.

OK, it has a couple of vitamins, but so what? Any good green vegetables, not to mention any good piece of beautiful meat, utterly eclipses any trivial "vitamin" benefit in fruits.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries.

Interestingly strawberries are the one thing you can eat with the highest ratio of apparent sweetness, to actual carbohydrates.

(After strawberries, other berries.)

NEVER, EVER eat things like bananas. A typical whole banana has like FIFTY grams of carbs, for God's sake.

We were never "meant" to eat bananas, they are an utterly unnatural food imported from the far tropics.

Incredibly, an enormous HUNDRED GRAM serving of strawberries, has only a tiny say 5 or 7 grams of carbs.

THAT IS NOT A TYPO, read it again and check it up on calorieking or whatever.

Get facts on your side!

So a strawberry snack, say a huge 50 gram bowl of strawberries, gives you a massive sweet kick to the human olfactory / gustation / orthonasal / retronasal / chemesthesis systems .. and you've only eaten literally 3 or 4 carbs. Whereas eating a banana, which does not "seem" as sweet as a bowl of strawbs, has an insane FIFTY or much more grams of carbs.

If you're trying to lose fat, eating a banana is almost crazy.

Reach for the strawberries.

After gourmet strawberries, you have other gourmet berries like blackberries and blueberries - yum.

After that, what about some watermelon? Look at the figures. You can munch a huge 100 gram slice of watermelon and you get very few carbs or calories.

I like what researcher Gary Taubes says about fruit juice: "It is sugar, with some water in it, and a little multivitamin mixed in. The only thing worse for you that fruit juice is more fruit juice."

Get science and facts on your side! Eliminate fat!

LOOK at the carb grams contained in fruit before you eat it.

KNOWLEDGE is power -- don't act on vague rumours.

If you must eat fruit, eat strawberries, the "miracle" fruit.
    And this post is loaded with broscience.....I guess it depends who disciple you are.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As fruit is nowhere near as high in sugar than chocolate, which is how I got where I am, there is no way I will be able to eat enough for it to be a real problem. It is full of fibre & vitamins too so enjoy within reason!
    & don't track it.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

OK, it has a couple of vitamins, but so what? Any good green vegetables, not to mention any good piece of beautiful meat, utterly eclipses any trivial "vitamin" benefit in fruits.

Interestingly strawberries are the one thing you can eat with the highest ratio of apparent sweetness, to actual carbohydrates.

NEVER, EVER eat things like bananas. A typical whole banana has like FIFTY grams of carbs, for God's sake.

We were never "meant" to eat bananas, they are an utterly unnatural food imported from the far tropics.

Incredibly, an enormous HUNDRED GRAM serving of strawberries, has only a tiny say 5 or 7 grams of carbs.

Get facts on your side!

So a strawberry snack, say a huge 50 gram bowl of strawberries, gives you a massive sweet kick to the human olfactory / gustation / orthonasal / retronasal / chemesthesis systems .. and you've only eaten literally 3 or 4 carbs. Whereas eating a banana, which does not "seem" as sweet as a bowl of strawbs, has an insane FIFTY or much more grams of carbs.

After gourmet strawberries, you have other gourmet berries like blackberries and blueberries - yum.

After that, what about some watermelon? Look at the figures. You can munch a huge 100 gram slice of watermelon and you get very few carbs or calories.

I like what researcher Gary Taubes says about fruit juice: "It is sugar, with some water in it, and a little multivitamin mixed in. The only thing worse for you that fruit juice is more fruit juice."

And this post is loaded with broscience.....I guess it depends who disciple you are.

Lololol I like the people that say do your research and then makes a wall of text like that
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sugar consumption. I am more conscious of the amount of added sugar in my diet. These added sugars come from sodas, candy, most commercial breads, flavored yogurts, most commercial condiments and obviously any sweeteners you add.

If I have tons of sugar one day, and I know it is al from fruit, it is fine by me. Unless you are diabetic or insulin dependent, you do not really have to worry about fruit in moderation. As you get into that last 10 pounds phase, it is probably more helpful to pay attention to the sugar content of your fruit to hit the finish line.

But everyone, no matter what should pay attention to added sugars, this sugar is the type that is bad for you. Not the natural sugars in fruit or dairy.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

Get facts on your side!

There are some great facts in there but to tell someone not to eat bananas and that they weren't meant to be eaten?! :laugh: I spit my water out of my mouth reading this post.

Dear OP- Do not worry about sugar from fruits. It is natural, unprocessed, whole, full of nutrients that are WONDERFUL for you. If your way over your carbs, I would say worry about bananas but I have a banana at least 4 times a week and I am losing wonderfully, have tons of energy, very healthy and I'm so fit I now can swing from trees :laugh: :wink: Seriously though, I stopped tracking sugar and I track sodium and fiber instead. If your sugars are really from primarily fruit, it's OK!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The fruit I eat is causing me to go over my sugars before I have even had dinner, I still have allot of calories left but i'm way over my sugar intake any suggestions?

My food diary is open if you need to look.

The biggest single contributor I see to your sugar total is milk. I switched to almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) a while back (except in my coffee) to reduce my sugar. It contains 0g of sugar, as opposed to the 11g in dairy milk.

This is probably a really stupid question, but: does it have the same amount of protein? I'm a fairly new Vegetarian ( Ethical reasons not weight loss) so dairy is one of my main sources of protein.

Nope, 1g of protein in my almond milk. Dairy is insufficient as a main source of protein (unless you have something like 8 servings a day). For protein, I would add a protein powder. That's what a nutritionist recommended for me.

I get most of my protein from dairy (and I get to over 150g a day usually) and only a very small % comes from protein powder. There is nothing wrong with protein powder at all, but it is not necessary if you eat the right kinds of things.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I have deleted most of the ramblings in this post but just have to ask: if someone is from, for example, Brazil, where bananas grow in the wild - does this logic apply to them or do they process them differently that folks, for example, from the US? And, on the flip side, are strawberries bad for people from, say, Iceland?

And - and a beautiful piece of meat is not usually the way to go it you are a vegetarian!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar and started tracking sodium instead. Once I did that I started losing weight and stopped obsessing about my dang sugar! As long as I don't go over with carbs...which I rarely do - and I DO eat bananas - I know I am in the right place.

I did this too, and I agree that keeping sodium down is more important than sugar (unless you're diabetic). There's nothing wrong with bananas. I eat 4-5/week. You could always try a strawberry banana smoothie with protein powder. :-)
    Got a recipe for that................?? :) Sounds good!!!
    I have a fruit/ protein powder shake that I make, but it's more of a recovery thing than a snack.

I don't, but I'm sure an improvised one would taste great. I posted a raspberry/blackberry one in this thread. I'm sure substituting the raspberries and blackberries for strawberries and a banana would taste great.

I'd try 1c vanilla almond milk (or whatever kind of milk you prefer), 1 scoop protein powder of choice (I like the vanilla whey protein I mentioned earlier, but any would do), probably 1 1/2 cups strawberries (to compensate for the air in the measurement), and a banana (most ppl recommend using a frozen one), ice to taste (or maybe not if using frozen fruit).

I also use mine for recovery (meaning post-exercise), but that's a matter of preference, as I currently mainly do cardio (I plan to add strength training in some form soon).
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    fruit sugar molecules are surrounded by vitamins/nutrients and digest in your stomach(?) and you pee/poop it out

refined sugar molecules in let us say a candy bar break down in your mouth from the saliva, and spike your blood sugar, no good

moral of the story? fruit sugar is good, eat some, and don't worry about it

I eat 1 banana everyday and i love melons and berries, apples all alike, enjoy !
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Fruit is just sugar.

Get facts on your side!

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :grumble: :explode:
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options

Well Said.

I have deleted most of the ramblings in this post but just have to ask: if someone is from, for example, Brazil, where bananas grow in the wild - does this logic apply to them or do they process them differently that folks, for example, from the US? And, on the flip side, are strawberries bad for people from, say, Iceland?

And - and a beautiful piece of meat is not usually the way to go it you are a vegetarian!
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

A fruit smoothie is exactly how I take my protein powder. I use a whey protein powder I got at Costco. The flavor is vanilla, but it smells and tastes like vanilla and coconut. It's fabulous in a smoothie recipe I made myself. 3/4-1c almond milk (dependent on preference), one scoop protein powder (mine is 27g protein/scoop), 1c raspberries, 1/2 blackberries, ice to taste. I'm going to try adding spinach, too. I've read it only changes the color and nutritional value, not the taste.
    I usually make a smoothie for breakfast! I use spinach for all the potassium and good stuff and I can't taste it at all! I do put a lot of other stuff in with it though.
  • jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    There are many, many different philosophies and mindsets around fruit.
    It has tremendous nutrition - and VERY packed with energizing carbohydrates.
    Rather than just looking at the sugar content - more important to look at the whole picture, especially what your body does with the sugar/carbs in fruit.

Glycemic Index is an important indicator recommended by Dietitians when working with Diabetics... (more knowledgeable than most nutritionists and definitely MOST dietary authors!)
    When you can, Load up your diet with vegetables. When you're hungry and looking for a second helping, always choose extra vegetables in place of a more carb-laden food like bread, potatoes, and most types of rice.
    Generally the more colorful a vegetable the better they are for you.

Fruit, while not quite at the zero GI level, still generally fall into what's considered a low glycemic index range, with a GI < 55. Fruit also has a high fiber content which helps the body absorb sugar more slowly!

Fresh Fruit Glycemic Index

Apples 38
    Oranges 42
    Pears 38
    Peaches 42
    Grapes 53
    Strawberries (fresh or frozen) 40
    Raspberries (fresh or frozen) ●
    Blueberries (fresh or frozen) 53
    Cherries 63
    Bananas 52
    Lemons ●
    Limes ●

You'll find your balance!
    Keep up the good work!
    j
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I want to congratulate you on your new journey! I remember growing up on meat and became a vegetarian when I was 15. I did it cold turkey. I never ate seafood so that wasn't a problem. I didn't like meat unless it was from McDonalds (ewwww). I was an unhealthy vegetarian. I ate too much of the processed vegetarian meats and foods. Loved cheese too! Last year I finally became a vegan! It's not easy!!!!! All you can do is take it one step at a time! One day at a time!

Don't let people get you down! I know people that call themselves vegan and eat caviar. I don't get it.
  • jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    This philosophy is coming from the 'Paleo' crowd.
    Personally I find it to be narrow in mindset and not considering how our body's metabolize fruit.
    Fruits contain so many good nutrients - and paying attention to Lower GI fruits is the most beneficial
    approach.
    Be cautious of absolutes - (All or Never)..
    Find what works best for you!
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump