Vegans

Options
12346»

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Plant-powered 90+ percent of the time and happy about it!
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read "Forks over Knives?" I'm reading it now. Puts another perspective on eating a plant-based diet, for sure!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was vegan for a year, lacto-ovo for about a year, vegan for two years, and then lacto-ovo for another two, then pescatarian for a while, now back to Veganism, lol. I think it's going to stick this time because I'm now at a point in my life where only I control what food is in my house. I like doing it because it's so natural and easy to do once you get the hang of it. Honestly, though, if I had a pet chicken, I'd probably start eating eggs (but not chicken!)

Totally agree with this - I have no problem eating meat though as long as its had a good life :)
  • mayb92
    mayb92 Posts: 34
    Options
    Pescatarian:D transitioning into vegetarian and hopefully vegan :)
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Vegetarian and have been vegan and back and forth for several years and even ventured back into meat eating till about 5 years ago. Now I am vegetarian but moving to being totally vegan eventually. I love Lindsey Wagner's book "High Road to Health". I've made a lot of the recipes in it over the years. Yummy!
  • cheekycherries
    cheekycherries Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im a veggie. Was vegan for about 5 months but wasnt able to sustain it as i was just eating carbs and felt ill. I eat eggs and dairy now but still veggie the last 18 months.

Feel free to add me anyone :)
  • lequoise
    lequoise Posts: 13
    Options
    I've always been a meat and dairy eater. However I've just come across Eat To Live and I'm learning lots of new things. I've just started the 6-week plan which is strictly vegan!

So far it's really winning me over. I thought I would miss meat and dairy and eggs because I was on a high-protein animal diet previously, but I'm not craving any of it!

I'm VERY new to the concept of veganism (I have vegan friends and I've done a lot of research) but personally in my life I've never tried it. To be honest I was really turned off by all the aggressive preaching vegans.

I am going to see how I feel at the end of my 6-week challenge. I'm excited because the idea of reducing my carbon footprint and being super healthy at the same time really appeals to me.

Wish me luck! Would appreciate any tips or advice on transitioning. :)
    -lequoise
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've always been a meat and dairy eater. However I've just come across Eat To Live and I'm learning lots of new things. I've just started the 6-week plan which is strictly vegan!

So far it's really winning me over. I thought I would miss meat and dairy and eggs because I was on a high-protein animal diet previously, but I'm not craving any of it!

I'm VERY new to the concept of veganism (I have vegan friends and I've done a lot of research) but personally in my life I've never tried it. To be honest I was really turned off by all the aggressive preaching vegans.

I am going to see how I feel at the end of my 6-week challenge. I'm excited because the idea of reducing my carbon footprint and being super healthy at the same time really appeals to me.

Wish me luck! Would appreciate any tips or advice on transitioning. :)
    -lequoise

I'm so excited for you, and looking forward to hearing about your experience with Eat to Live! I read the book earlier this year, and it got me back on track with my vegan diet. As I go along, sometimes I'll forget the importance of greens, or beans or water, and this book is really inspiring and motivating. I do tend to eat more grains than Fuhrman recommends, so I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you. I wish you success!
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged!
  • Mandylee29
    Mandylee29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am newly vegan...I find it tough to eat enough calories because I'm also not eating sugar, fake sugar, processed foods or simple carbs. Any advice?
  • geekyrunner
    geekyrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian that eats less dairy and eggs every day. I'm a vegan-leaning vegetarian. :)

That's where I am too! I never thought to search for other vegans on MFP, so glad I have now. Feel free to friend me
  • ctw4
    ctw4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of healthy fats! I had the same problem when I first tried veganism, but now I love adding almond/peanut butter, coconut, olive oil, and avocado to my foods :). It's good for your hair, skin, and nails and actually helps you lose more weight too! If you need some recipe ideas, feel free to check out my blog! http://barefootbaker.blog.com/recipes/
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I try to eat vegan 6 days of the week, and coconut oil is my choice for healthy fats, as well as avocado :)
  • veggiewolf
    veggiewolf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    20+ years vegetarian and now pretty much vegan.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for life, and i'm now vegan (as of three years ago)- feel free to add me fellow vegans/people thinking about veganism (and ask any questions about switching over to a vegan lifestyle if you need to!) (:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

This might sound like a silly question, but I am still trying to form my new lifestyle and I feel overwhelmed because I don't know enough about the vegan way of being. What are some arguments for why Soy products should be banned on a vegan diet?

I am trying to differentiate the small changes between vegetarian and vegan (thought soy was ok on both). I enjoy soy milk, but if it's causing harm for the environment and/or animals in any way, I will stop drinking it. What are good substitutions for soy products on a vegan diet?

Thanks!

there is also rice milk and almond milk and rice cheese
  • belle_7
    belle_7 Posts: 18
    Options
    Im a vegetarian.. I want to do the vegan thing eventually it just takes time... ive been a vegetarian for 7 years now and still counting .. I LOVE it so much..
  • geekyrunner
    geekyrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    me too!