Buying a Fitbit...Should I? Or NO?

Options
13»

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Very good discussion, yall!

One point hasn't been made here yet that I'd like to bring up...
    I am very overweight, with lots of jiggly-bits. "Regular" pedometers did NOT work for me, because it couldn't distinguish between a "jiggle" and a step. The Fitbit can. It has better technology in it than the cheap pedometers.

If you're already in good shape, then an inexpensive pedometer may do what you need... if the shape you're in is "round", then you'll need one with better technology, and those cost more.

After much frustration of being "too fat" for the cheaper models, I was thrilled to find a device that could accurately record my steps.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit, most of the complaints on here are down to people not reading the instructions on MFP correctly. It's helped me have a much more accurate calculation of my daily activity and I since discovered that I was underrating every day by about 200 calories (which had caused the scale to stall). It's replaced my pedometer entirely as it's more accurate and I can use it whatever I'm wearing (more of a bonus for ladies than gents, I know). I actually blogged about how to use it with MFP if anyone's interested: http://beyondthebathroomscale.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/btbss-guide-to-fitbit-ultra.html

Edited to add: I agree that a HRM is more useful than a FitBit for intense workouts, I use my FitBit for daily activity and use my HRM for workouts.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear my FitBit at all times and my Polar FT7 when I'm working out.

The FitBit is just a fancy pedometer (and sleep recorder which is neat) but I love it for tracking all the walking I do during the day. So really, all it will do is count the steps you take during the day. Don't expect it to record yoga or spinning or anything else that isn't walking.

I haven't had any problems with it syncing to MFP and I do all my recording on MFP (which syncs just fine with the FitBit site). As long as you record your workout times accurately in MFP (start time and stop times in particular), you shouldn't have any problems with FitBit double counting calorie burns. I love the sleep recording function although I've been bad and haven't used it in about a month. My life has been hectic and even though I'm wearing it, I forget to turn on the sleep timer.

You can check out my FitBit profile if you'd like: http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It motivates me to keep my activity up, and also made it quite clear that I am not sedentary. If you do a lot of exercises that are not walking/running, I would either get the FitBit and a HRM, or decide which was more important to have. I do like seeing how my activity breaks down for the day and where I can improve. I wouldn't trade my FitBit for anything. Maybe sometime this year I'll get a HRM too.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've had one since November, and have worn it constantly except for showering and charging the battery. I also use my Polar HRM for more intense workouts -- listing the workouts on MFP will adjust the Fitbit calories through the sync feature, so nothing gets "double counted." Also, thanks to one of the peeps on my FL I've joined Eardit.com... which will *also* sync with your Fitbit and helps you accumulate points towards rewards offered on their website. I'm halfway to sending those "care packages" to the troops overseas after only three days!!! :happy:
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit a few months. It IS a glorified pedometer, but I love it anyway. It's not perfect, but it helps motivate me to keep moving and gives me exercise credit for days I'm really active. I have MFP set as sedentary, and I'm not as sedentary as I thought. I work at a desk all day and my Fitbit makes me want to walk at lunch so I can see 10,000 steps when I get home.

The biggest frustration I had was figuring out the calories at first. In the Fitbit site it was set to estimate calories for the day, so if you were really active in the morning and sat all afternoon, you might see a large exercise credit that disappears throughout the day. I switched it on the fitbit site so it's sedentary, and it only gives me credit for movement as it happens, and the problem of disappearing exercise calories was solved.

ETA: The device is pretty well made. I put mine through the washing machine and it came out ok. I would never make that mistake again, but it does prove how sturdy the device is.
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are they available in Canada? I can't seem to find one anywhere.
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Got to chime in even though everyone else has already convinced you. My husband and I consider our fitbits the best (exercise) equipment we ever invested in because we are constantly finding ways to fit more steps into our days. We do our walks but we have also become the folks who park the furthest away at the store, pace during commercials and take the dog out for a short jaunt if we feel our steps are a bit low (the dog heartily approves of the fitbit too). It really does make you aware of your daily activity levels rather than focusing on a set time of an hour or so for exercise per day.

I hurt my knee a few weeks ago so have had to curtail my walking. Boo. Hopefully I'll be better soon.

Debbie
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options

You can order if from the Fitbit website. Be prepared to be hit with import fees. I think it was $12?
  • juicymisslucy
    Options

You can order if from the Fitbit website. Be prepared to be hit with import fees. I think it was $12?

• Rosa1455
    Rosa1455 Posts: 38
    Options
    I have a iphone and my daughter told me about the app she uses on her iphone and it Pedometer. It keeps up with distance, calories, time and speed
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I was a bit unsure as to whether to get one myself or not & now I so want one! I hope my hubby has taken the hint & is getting me one for my birthday next week! :)
  • juicymisslucy
    Options
    I am so excited! I just ordered it but it said because it's being shipped to Canada it may take 4 - 6 weeks. Bummer.
  • stacie48
    stacie48 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing
  • jessig715
    jessig715 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit...it's a great way to be aware of your activity. I check it throughout the day, and if I'm behind where I should be, I know I need to get out and move! I think it's more than worth the money!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use a free app on my android phone. there are literally 100's of them.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I use a free app on my android phone. there are literally 100's of them.

Which one do you use? Does it calculate your TDEE based off of your daily activity?
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have one and I really like it. It tells me how many calories I burn, how many steps I take, how many stairs I've climbed and on their website it would track your progress and tell you if you need to exercise more or what your best days are. It's small so you can put it in your pocket or bra!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,173 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my FitBit that long but I appreciate the information it provides. I appreciate knowing about my sleep patterns in particular.
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    I swear by my heart rate monitor. The fit bit doesn't properly track calories because it's not basing it off of your heart rate, just on the steps you take which can be extremely inaccurate. I have a HRM that just tracks my heart rate, calories and time but a friend of mine paid a little extra and got a Garmin HRM which tracks steps taken, calories and it even has a GPS and can tell you the path you traveled! Mine was $80 and hers was about $120. Worth every penny!