Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Options
Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether diet sodas were a good thing or not. Sure a regular soda has plenty of sugar, but at least you know what you're dealing with and so does your body. Diet sodas have sweeteners and supposed negative effects on your health.
Have I answered my own question?

Replies

• Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    I spoke with a trainer about this last year at the gym I was attending. He said if you're going to drink pop you're better off drinking regular pop instead of diet. He said t he diet pop actually makes you hungry.

Here's a piece I copied from something I read:
    Sugar on the Brain
    Instead of sugar, diet sodas have artificial sweeteners, which help you avoid consuming some 100 calories per serving. But it's possible that soft drinks, whether they have natural sugar or an artificial sweetener, could actually stimulate your appetite, according to the Harvard University School of Public Health. Although it's not known why, drinking soda could trigger a craving for high-carbohydrate foods, according the the Harvard School of Public Health

and here's the link

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535289-does-diet-soda-make-you-hungrier/#ixzz1w4Hg2wN2

I gave up pop in March.. well for the most part. I have had a couple in the past few months.. but that's better than drinking several daily. When I do have the occasional pop I just drink regular.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether diet sodas were a good thing or not. Sure a regular soda has plenty of sugar, but at least you know what you're dealing with and so does your body. Diet sodas have sweeteners and supposed negative effects on your health.

I have to vote no on this one. I've never read anything good on the artificial sweeteners. My uncle and sister both drank diet sodas daily for years and both have had major immune diseases they are dealing with - both are on major medications. My uncle (not blood related) finally gave up the diet sodas and is now doing better - my sister has not and is the same. Of course I can't say for sure that diet sodas were the cause or even made the systems worse but does make me say, huh - maybe?

Regardless, there are so many other healthier choices out there. Try brewing some flavored teas. There is one by Celestial Seasonings, Orange Zinger (caffeine free) that is so sweet that you may not need to add anything else.

All the best in your journey.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    That's all I drank before, when I joined here I gave it up cold turkey, water is all I drink and my skin has never looked so good :smile:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    They taste nasty. I'm not a big soda drinker so when I do splurge I go for The Real Thing
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    WATER =] Last year I was drinking about 64oz a day of Diet Coke, (your body becomes addicted) I only stopped drinking Regular because my mom swore it was better for me, she was wrong. It does cause health issues and I had to wean myself off of it and it gave me headaches and sometimes made me sick because my body was freaking out, I now DO NOT consume soda and my body thanks me for it...
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    no pop at all for me. Tea, coffee or water n water with mio. After drinking just all that for so long, I went to reward myself with a can of sprite, cus I love lemon, n I could not drink it. But I even think diet pop is bad for you also. So if anything, I dont drink none of them.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    They are both really bad for you but if I have to choose I will drink diet because there is less calories. I only drink soda once a week and it's 1 can or 591 ml bottle with my cheat meal. I used to drink diet soda every day. I swear they put something in it because I used to crave for pop like smokers crave cigarettes. This is why I don't drink it much anymore and when I do I feel bloated and yucky
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink one diet orange every evening.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    No soda is good. You're better off drinking regular soda versus diet soda. Nothing beats some good ole H20
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1-2 cans of diet coke a day. I gave it up in march when I knew my husband and I wanted to TTC and I didn't need the caffeine while pregnant.

Most people who try diet sodas after giving them up say they are gross when they try them again - not the case for me, haha, as when I have had a few sips they were delicious.

I didn't notice changes in weight, skin, etc when going off them, but I have noticed I crave sweets less and I am not as tired anymore in the afternoon (when I used to religiously grab a can at work.)

I'm glad I gave them up and don't plan to drink them again :). I know plenty of people who drink them daily and are just fine, though :). So I think it's a personal choice!
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking Diet Mountain Dew which i was addicted to a few months back. I feel great I only drink water now and see a big difference in how I feel. To anyone struggleing give it a try I did it could turkey first few days were hard but after that it was fine!:smile:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You should definitely avoid all soft drinks. Water, water, water. Sparkling water, if you get bored of regular. Tea is a also a good choice (not sweetened).

Soft drinks are evil. Avoid them. If anyone says otherwise, they are probably reading research funded by Coca-Cola.

--Prahasaurus
  • kateshape
    kateshape Posts: 25
    Options
    Diet sodas are a no in my book. They are just artificial sweeteners, something our bodies don't need to consume. I feel like if you want a soda/pop once in a while, invest in one made with real sugar. No, it's still not the healthiest but at least it's natural.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If it's 'drink regular soda with tons of calories or diet without the cals' then, YES! I drink tons of sugar free koolaid since it was invented (yep I'm old! lol), it hasn't killed me yet and I've lost 35lbs since Jan. all while drinking diet drinks.

I think there are a lot of other things out there that are worse for your health than diet drinks.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ugh...no to diet drinks. I try to drink water , sometimes sparkling and milk. I sometimes have a coke or an orangina but it would be the normal one, not the diet version as these have nasty additives and sweeteners like aspartame which have been proven to be really bad for you.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda. No. Soda with sugar? No. Like you said, you answered your own question. I drink water and water only. My skin and body thanks me. I gave up soda 11 months ago and the cravings and withdrawal were horrible. I made it through and I don't want to go through that again. I drink club soda with lime on airplanes and in bars. I make sure it has no sodium.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I drink one on most days, but I also drink 10-12 cups of water.
    Hasn't hindered progress for me.
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    love my Coke Zero, but i'll only drink it once or twice a week. Powerade Zero is a daily thing though.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Have you tried Zevia? soda made with Stevia all natural sweetener. they sell it at whole foods, trader joe's, and just about all health food stores.
    I will never, ever, ever, have any artificial sweeteners, ever.period. those chemicals are super dangerous, and also make me sick. My grandmother died of pancreatic caner (horrible) and the doctors said it was from the Artificial sweeteners; and i believe that!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Well, I have heard sooo much about diet soda and how it is so bad for you. I totally get it and agree.

Saying that, I am so stubborn about not drinking my calories. I find myself at restaurants and they don't have much on the menu that is low cal. I am either forced to drink diet soda, non sweetened tea or water. Sigh. That is usually when I drink one.

If I only drink 1-2 a week, I have no issue with it at all. I would never ever drink it all week long though.