Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Jensaystoyou
    Options
    http://jubilantjenzen.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/serious-sunday-why-i-dont-drink-diet/

I posted lots of information about why I don't drink diet anything on my blog. I drank TONS of it for years and gave it up after learning more about it.
  • poncito
    poncito Posts: 19
    Options
    ew no.. no sodas period
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Once in a while is fine! (2-3 times a month)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Not here. :wink:
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Absolutely not. Studies have shown that drinking diet sodas are correlated with increased appetite. You're more likely to snack on something if you drink diet soda. This was just from a show I watched very recently called 'secret eaters'.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Any sugar drink or soda for me is = with a big NO!
    Any diet soda is again = with a big NO!
    Man-made drinks/sodas of any kind = Trash!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Studies have shown that drinking diet sodas are correlated with increased appetite. You're more likely to snack on something if you drink diet soda. This was just from a show I watched very recently called 'secret eaters'.
    You can correlate anything with anything else in a study, that doesn't make it true. Correlation does not equal causation.
    139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

I'm more likely to snack without an occasional diet soda.
  • lklascala
    lklascala Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO...They are full of artificial sweetners that give me ghastly migraines. Plus, your body has a harder time processing and eliminating them because they are a foreign chemical substance. And the aftertaste....YUCK! I'd rather drink water any day of the week than guzzle an artificial soda!
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only have diet soda whenever i'm eating crap like fast food, or if i sometimes get a craving for a cold fountain soda on a hot summer day. I'd say just consume very sparingly and use as an occasional treat that is no more than once or twice a week(times not days)
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    No! It's just not worth it! Fake sweeteners and a whole lot of other stuff that is just plain bad for you. Yes, I think it is possible to lose weight and still drink them, but what's the point? They are not good for you. If you give them up for a certain amount of time you'll see that your tastes change and after a few weeks a glass of sparkling water with a squeeze of fresh lime and some mint tastes heavenly!

ScreenShot2012-05-27at122944PM.png

ETA this infographic is obviously about full sugar soda :)
  • thbtbt
    thbtbt Posts: 1
    Options
    NO on sodas. Looks like everyone else has done a great job explaining why.

My 2 cents? Fake sugars are terrible - your body simply isn't designed to process them. And real sugar isn't any better - especially simple sugars and carbs. I found that all I had to do was cut out all simple sugars and carbs and my weight plummeted. You'd be surprised where you will find the stuff, too - even in most whole wheat bread. For example, I was shocked to find high fructose corn syrup listed as an ingredient in Nature's Own multigrain breads. Yikes!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that if you must drink it, regular is better than diet. However, I think its better to just cut them out completely or have one very sparingly.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I drink diet green tea because i like the taste better than soda, and the carbonation is supposed to be bad for your kidneys. I drink what I want, lose weight, and honestly don't believe all the horror stories about how bad diet drinks are for you.

I know that goes against the grain here, but that's what I think.
  • mmbax06
    mmbax06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid anything that contains aspartame or saccharin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    this. there's no benefit whatsoever to drinking soda (diet or otherwise) and so many potential dangers.
    Benefit: no calories and helps to satisfy sweet tooth for many (including myself). Potential dangers? Alarmism like this is why many people are naive about how the body really works. What do you actually know about the ingredients in diet soda? Not what you've heard, but what you actually know?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I know quite a lot. Some artificial sweeteners are okay, while others are terrible for the body. Me = chem major. I've had many discussions with a highly respected chemical engineer who was the head for one of the major brands of soda, as well as other food and medical companies. One of the best in his field. I wouldn't go near aspartame or sucralose. I check all of my food for those 2 items. I know people argue that it must be safe and have no ill effects to be allowed in food, but if you think the FDA only allows food that is perfectly safe then that's your problem.
    So is aspartic acid in fruits and vegetables? In phenylalaine in breast milk?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melissa308
    melissa308 Posts: 12
    Options
    I allow myself the occasional diet soda indulgence, but I try not to make it a habit. That being said, I fell off the wagon with Pepsi Max this month. (It's been a really awful month, and I needed a vice to help me cope, and this seemed the least detrimental to me.) I think it comes back to moderation; it seems like you'll be fine if it's a once-a-week treat, but if you (like me) can't have a 12-pack around without it being the first beverage of choice, you might need to just keep it out of the house and only allow yourself to have it as a rare treat in certain situations.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you think that the occurrence of an individual chemical compound inside of something natural like a fruit or inside of a mixture produced by the human body like breast milk automatically implies it is good for your body and health, then power to you. If you also feel that an isolated compound has the same effect on a system as one that is in a mixture, then fantastic! I would list the naturally occurring compounds that are poisonous to the human body, but frankly the list would go on for quite a while and obviously yield no change in your perception.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You can correlate anything with anything else in a study, that doesn't make it true. Correlation does not equal causation.
    139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

I'm more likely to snack without an occasional diet soda.

I love this graph and want it on a t-shirt.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I get my 120 oz. of water in a day (atleast) but I have lost 306 lbs. drinking 1 or 2 Pepsi Max (24oz.) every single day... It doesn't make me crave sweets or want to eat more sugary foods... And I don't by into the alarmist crap, heck I once weighed 560 lbs. and was knocking on deaths door, if I die tomorrow from drinking a Pepsi Max I will chalk it up to a God thing and not something that the soda did... lol but to each their own, I just won't be stopping anytime soon..... Best of Luck.....
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If I drink soda, I'd rather just drink the million zillion grams of sugar. At least then I know what I'm putting into my body. Diet soda is full of so many chemicals that I find very questionable.

You're better off avoiding soda altogether really. But given the choice, I always pick regular.