heart rate moniters

Options
13»

Replies

• denise4230
    denise4230 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are worth the money. MFP is about as accurate.
    \

YOUR STATEMENT IS <b>inaccurate</b>

That's ok for you to think that. For the exercises I do, it seems to be so close that it's ridiculous. It's not ok for you to make this statement when I have been comparing for months.

HAHA why you mad though?

ok, really guys, I'm looking for useful information, not petty comments. Everyone has their own opinion and that's ok, because I am looking for just that, peoples opinions on the subject.

And that's what I gave...my opinion. I think your money is better left in the bank because according to my calculations, MFP is close enough. It was a waste of money For me.

The exception to this will be, if I start running in the sand, I'll need an HRM, because MFP doesn't have "running in the sand". So it will be useful at that point. I may start doing that after my race next week. But, if there is a default cardio exercise in the database, it should be close enough.

see, and that is one of the problems I'm finding, like when I go to karate, I know I'm working hard, but the MFP cal burned is like 700 something and I don't think I'm burning that much, plus it depends on whether we are doing kata or kumite. also things like cardio workout videos. plus, I'm trying to figure out if the fact that I take a medication that lowers my heart rate effects things
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    see, and that is one of the problems I'm finding, like when I go to karate, I know I'm working hard, but the MFP cal burned is like 700 something and I don't think I'm burning that much, plus it depends on whether we are doing kata or kumite. also things like cardio workout videos. plus, I'm trying to figure out if the fact that I take a medication that lowers my heart rate effects things
    There are always variables, which is why I wanted a HRM for myself - takes the guesswork out of it. For me, the money was worth it, would be even if I'd had to pay full retail. I can't imagine working out without it now.
  • denise4230
    Options
    So I got my HRM in, the Polar FT4, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, and the elliptical reading said I burned 455, MFP data base came up with 338, and the HRM came up with 217. now I'm more confused than ever. I think I need to give it a few more goes.
  • cinfull360
    cinfull360 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 HRM here too.. (PINK!) and I love it! Since I wasn't aerobically active and 54 years old, I wanted to make sure I was being smart about my training. I bought the HRM and started the C25K program, love that it syncs with the treadmill I use at the gym!
  • Code2fornow
    Code2fornow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar but I'm not sure which one- I got it at a Scheels in an open box special for $43. You may want to check places like Scheels, Big 5, Sports Authority or even Best Buy for sales or open box items that you can get for cheap. The one I bought didn't look like it had ever even been used and it's great!
  • Code2fornow
    Code2fornow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So I got my HRM in, the Polar FT4, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, and the elliptical reading said I burned 455, MFP data base came up with 338, and the HRM came up with 217. now I'm more confused than ever. I think I need to give it a few more goes.

Did you make sure that you have the HRM set up for you? Mine has settings to put in and also requires that I do my "resting" heart rate for 3 mins to set it up for my "ideal" results.
  • denise4230
    Options

Did you make sure that you have the HRM set up for you? Mine has settings to put in and also requires that I do my "resting" heart rate for 3 mins to set it up for my "ideal" results.

I did set it up for me, but it didn't ask anything about monitering my resting heart rate for 3 minutes. Maybe I will go to the web site and make sure I have it set up correctly, the cal burned it came up with seemed really low to me.
  • denise4230
    Options
    Polar FT4 HRM here too.. (PINK!) and I love it! Since I wasn't aerobically active and 54 years old, I wanted to make sure I was being smart about my training. I bought the HRM and started the C25K program, love that it syncs with the treadmill I use at the gym!

I didn't realize until I tried it out at the gym that it synced with the equipment there and I love that feature. the heart rate was right on with what the moniter was reading, but the cal burned were way off
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • denise4230
    Options
    It's been a couple weeks now with the polar FT4 HRM and I LOVE it! Yes, it was under for some things, but for others, where there really is no data base it works great! I was grossly underestimating what I did for karate (yes the MFP database was much closer on that one). It also gave me a pretty accurate measurement of what I'm burning on an average day with no workout (again what MFP set my BMR at was pretty much right on). Only thing is, I do take a betablocker, which is a medication that lowers my blood pressure and also my heart rate, especially during activity, so for the amount of effort I put into a workout, my heart rate won't get as high as someone else putting out the same effort, which is why it may be reading under what some of the data bases give (and, according to the MD, I'm probably burning up to 20% more than what it says I am). I'm just sticking to what the HRM tells me I'm burning.