Low Cal. Cupcakes

Replies

• :happy: I made these last week and they are delicious! And my family didn't know the difference!!! I just made the cupcakes with a can of diet cola. We used the fat free cool whip for anyone who wanted frosting on top. But they were moist enough to eat just plain.:smile:
  • Im sooo excited....
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Made these with Duncan Hines Brownie mix family size, I put Diet Cherry Pepsi in the mix, VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Do you think this will work with the "no-pudge" brownie mix. This mix only requires yogurt. If so, would it be a 12 oz size can of soda?
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    another great recipe is mix one box of spice cake mix and 1 (15oz) can of pumpkin amd bake like normal. they taste like mini pumpkin pie cupcakes
  • carrieberrie
    another great recipe is mix one box of spice cake mix and 1 (15oz) can of pumpkin amd bake like normal. they taste like mini pumpkin pie cupcakes

OOOhhh! Yum! Thanks!
  • carrieberrie
    Do you think this will work with the "no-pudge" brownie mix. This mix only requires yogurt. If so, would it be a 12 oz size can of soda?

I was thinking the same thing. I will have to try it. If you do before me let me know! Thanks!
  • m_b_walton
    m_b_walton Posts: 10 Member
    :blushing: :tongue: these were so YUMMY!!!!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    going to have to try this, need to get a cake mix and a can of pop, wedon't drink pop so there is nothing inthe hosue that i coculd use and y daughter usually bakes akes frfom scratch. I'll let you know how they turn out!
  • kholmes
    kholmes Posts: 214
    So if you are making the brownies would you make the brownies into cupcakes or make them in a regular brownie pan?

I am thinking this would be perfect for the weekend BBQ.
  • evgal
    evgal Posts: 22
    i'm going to try this recipe today!!!!! not sure how others were comming up with calorie count of 154.
    i got 85 calories/cupcake. is my math right ? did i forget something?

box mix :170 cal per serving dry,
    x 12 servings per box
    2040 total calories/box
    2o4o cal /box divided by 24 cupcakes = 85 calories per cup cake

i'm also interested in the brownie questions possed. anyone tried using brownie mix? did use make cup cakes or 8x8 ?

karen
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Your math is right, evgall, but a lot of people are topping their cupcakes with stuff. And the person who came up with 154 made only 17 cupcakes out of the mix, not 24. So that increased the calorie count per each cupcake.

The cupcakes I most recently made were 104 calories each 80 calories per plain cupcake (160 cal per 1/12 cake mix), but I mixed sugar free jello into sugar free cool whip & topped each cupcake. The frosting added 24 calories to each cupcake.

On that note, I have found that the sugar free cool whip works better and tastes so much better than the fat free cool whip and it only adds about 5 calories. Very well worth it, IMO.

I know these cupcakes aren't good for you, but they're really helping to keep me sane and to stop any cravings for chocolate & baked goods.
  • LittleSpy
    edit: i don't know why that posted twice...
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    I have a recipe for cupcakes where you separate the batter into a few smaller bowls and add food coloring, and then layer the colors to make rainbow cupcakes - do you think it would work with these?
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    I'm really intrigued, but I'm trying to cut down on artificial sweeteners, in addition to diet sodas. Has anyone tried this with a "natural" soda, or even a flavored seltzer?

Thanks!
  • LittleSpy
    It should work fine with pretty much any kind of soda -- it's the carbonation that makes it work.

But instead of using regular soda, you may as well make the cakes with eggs & just subtitute applesauce in place of the oil.
  • fitcountrygirl
    fitcountrygirl Posts: 12 Member
    I made these with a white cake mix and diet Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash - they were totally pink and really good.

Obviously still lots of sugar in these since that's the main ingredient in the cake mix. But not a bad snack when those sweet cravings hit.
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    yeh, i'm definitely trying this too!! i'm glad everyone was able to make it work- i'm not much of a baker so hopefully they'll work for me too!! :smile:
  • SanDiegoUbermom
    SanDiegoUbermom Posts: 36 Member
    I've done this with a box of bownie mix and it works great!
    I made them in the pan, had to watch the cooking time. It needed a bit more time.
    Do your testing(w/a toothpic or something) to confirm if it is done.

I made this for the teachers at school and they eat them all up!
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    bump for later