pushups

Options
2»

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I am going to start insanity as soon as I get back from vacation. I am embarassed to say that I can not do more than three or four push ups--- I can do cardio and planks, for the most part keep up with all of the dvds that I do. only take a break here and there. How can I get there? I continue to try and try but it is one thing that I have a hard time doing. Will it improve as I do the insanity? I do not want to do girl pushups. LOL I can do those. any ideas how to build up to doing more? Anyone else have trouble?

Negative pushups. Basically, do as many regular pushups as you can (in sets of 5, with 30 seconds or so rest in between), when you can't do more...then finish out your set by getting in the pushup position, and lowering yourself as slowly as possible. The goal is 5 sets of 5 overall. Repeat this 3x a week on non consecutive days. You will find very quickly that you can easily do the 5 pushups, and it should only take a couple weeks to do the whole 25. When that is no longer a challenge, raise your legs up on a chair, and start over.

These I just discovered last week and I can't remember where, but i've been doing them ever since and they're a really big help. Wish I had discovered them 2 months ago. But better late then never.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Pushups and pullups are tough for many. And the ONLY way to get better at them is to do them. You can make it a little more advantageous by keeping your arms closer to your body when you do them (both pullup and pushups), but repetition is how you get good at them like you would with anything else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I am going to start insanity as soon as I get back from vacation. I am embarassed to say that I can not do more than three or four push ups--- I can do cardio and planks, for the most part keep up with all of the dvds that I do. only take a break here and there. How can I get there? I continue to try and try but it is one thing that I have a hard time doing. Will it improve as I do the insanity? I do not want to do girl pushups. LOL I can do those. any ideas how to build up to doing more? Anyone else have trouble?

Negative pushups. Basically, do as many regular pushups as you can (in sets of 5, with 30 seconds or so rest in between), when you can't do more...then finish out your set by getting in the pushup position, and lowering yourself as slowly as possible. The goal is 5 sets of 5 overall. Repeat this 3x a week on non consecutive days. You will find very quickly that you can easily do the 5 pushups, and it should only take a couple weeks to do the whole 25. When that is no longer a challenge, raise your legs up on a chair, and start over.

These I just discovered last week and I can't remember where, but i've been doing them ever since and they're a really big help. Wish I had discovered them 2 months ago. But better late then never.

Negative pullups are just as effective.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can't wait to try pull ups. I know i'm gonna be really horrible at them but I still can't wait to try them (and get awesome at them haha). I wonder, will the push-up strength I gain help me with pull-ups or is that just a dumb question?