Whey Protein

Options
Justacoffeenut
Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
How do you get this stuff down and keep it down?

Just got some over the weekend and thought ok I'll give it a try. Mixed 1 scoop (trying to lose weight) in water and mixed. OH MY. I couldn't get the whole glass down.

Good thing my husband said he would help me with it. It is going to be very hard to get this all down. I hate to waste things so I will force myself but it wont be fun.

BTW I got Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla the 2 lb container. We don't have anything but Wal-Mart around us. And I didn't want to send off for something and then really hate it. Good thing.

Please need idea's how to get this down and keep it down.

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    If you're from the states, go to www.bodybuilding.com order yourself some optimum nutrition gold standard whey or gaspari myofusion whey protein and give it a go. One of the best tasting proteins on the market.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I got the same kind but in chocolate and I just put it in a 1/2 cup of milk.. It tastes pretty good!
    I've convinced myself that it's a healthier chocolate milk lol.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    If you're from the states, go to www.bodybuilding.com order yourself some optimum nutrition gold standard whey or gaspari myofusion whey protein and give it a go. One of the best tasting proteins on the market.

Well 1st I have to get this down. Not going to buy anymore till this is gone. But thanks will keep that in mind.
  • megaca_2004
    megaca_2004 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can try mixing it with skim milk. It's a little better. Also, I've been making protein pancakes for breakfast every morning and they're pretty good!

Here's the recipe I use except only use 1 scoop of powder, and skim milk instead of almond milk.

http://fitnessista.com/2010/05/the-perfect-protein-pancake/
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love Tera's Dark Chocolate Organic Whey. It is delicious and if I use it with soy or lowfat milk it tastes like a milkshake.
  • lawrahmck
    lawrahmck Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm not sure what time of day you're taking it but you could try it in a smoothie. Add some berries, oats, etc for taste.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I used Optimum Nutrition french vanilla creme but it wasn't very good with just plain water. I only tried that once. It was better with skim milk and it was delicious as a shake with skim milk, a TB of peanut butter, and a half of a frozen banana.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

BTW I got Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla the 2 lb container.

Please need idea's how to get this down and keep it down.
    That's the brand I have. I don't mind it like you do apparently. BUT I like to use milk rather than water. I usually add one or two packets of instant coffee to make it latte flavored. I like everything coffee flavored. If I'm drinking it at night I'll sometimes add lots of ice and blend it up into a "milk" shake.
  • avaloneternal
    avaloneternal Posts: 216
    Options
    Try mixing one scoop with 4 tablespoons of plain nonfat greek yogurt. Makes a custard type dessert. I have the exact same powder and I don't particularly like greek yogurt or the powder on their own, but together they are awesome. You can also experiment and add cinnamon or flavored extracts or cocoa powder to change it up. Hope that helps :)
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Please don't use skim milk, whole fat milk, plain milk etc with your whey protein. It defeats the purpose of using whey protein to get a high protein source that is low in calories. the extra 150-200 calories from milk is not needed. If your a body building trying to gain mass, sure use milk with your protein, but you're not. So just use water, and yeah, protein isn't supposed to taste the best, so you're just going to get accustomed to the taste =]
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    it always tastes best to mix it! 2 of my favorite options are:

1. coffee, ice, scoop of protein powder and a dash of your favorite milk in blender= healthy(er) blended coffee!
    2. your choice of frozen and/or fresh fruit, juice or some kind of liquid and a scoop of the powder in blender= yum!

some like it with orange juice, just shake with ice. or with banana and/or peanut butter in blender...so many options! just keep trying different things until you find what works. if you dont like the taste of it then definitely mix it up with other stuff and have some fun with it :)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    Please don't use skim milk, whole fat milk, plain milk etc with your whey protein. It defeats the purpose of using whey protein to get a high protein source that is low in calories. the extra 150-200 calories from milk is not needed. If your a body building trying to gain mass, sure use milk with your protein, but you're not. So just use water, and yeah, protein isn't supposed to taste the best, so you're just going to get accustomed to the taste =]
    Skim milk has approximately 90 calories. It also has calcium and protein. There is NO reason NOT to use skim milk.
    *Edit: In fact... there is no reason NOT to use 2%, whole milk, almond, soy, or whatever a person's "milk" preference is.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use NNW 100% Healthy Whey (only place I've ever seen this brand is at Hy-Vee stores in central Iowa, though). It's made with stevia, which I really appreciate, as Splenda has a terrible throat-burning effect and lingering aftertaste on me. The vanilla and strawberry are both fantastic (chocolate is fine, but I'm not much of a chocolate person). I mix them with skim milk but you could use water or whatever. For the vanilla, I like to add a packet of Starbucks VIA instant coffee and a teaspoon of cinnamon, and mix the dry ingredients well before adding the milk. A blender or a blender bottle really help with the mixing - but a real blender will get it smooth and frothy, and eliminate any weird particles or clumps you might have otherwise. My dad & stepmom use the vanilla as a base for their morning green shake, where my dad just throws in whatever produce he's got in the fridge, as well as some frozen berries and whatnot. My stepmom has decided it's better not to ask what's in them, for her sanity. ;)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It may be that switching brands would help. However, really, not every food is for everybody. If you hate it that much, it might not be the right food for you.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

^^This.

My trainer turned me onto this brand. Everything else was so disgusting to me. I got the cookies & cream flavor and now I find myself looking forward to my protein shakes.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me the point of taking Whey Protein if you are not a body builder?

I'm still rather new to fitness and supplementing, and I'm trying to figure what I need, what I don't, what's just hype, and what may actually help make me fitter and healthier. Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

Thank you!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else and say try it with your choice of milk, I use rice protein but MY GOODNESS it's hard to get down with water, but a lil' coconut milk and it's delicious.

Makes a world of difference in my opinion (taste AND texture wise)
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've tried that specific whey and didn't have any issues with it, but how you are using it is key: enough but not too much water, maybe mix with milk, are you using a blender, are you mixing it with fruit, are you adding in some plain greek yogurt? Ultimately, if it's just not palatable and you don't want to waste it, I recommend sticking to 8 oz of water per scoop, mixing the HELL out of it, and just chugging it.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me the point of taking Whey Protein if you are not a body builder?

I'm still rather new to fitness and supplementing, and I'm trying to figure what I need, what I don't, what's just hype, and what may actually help make me fitter and healthier. Any other tips you have would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    I am NOT a body builder. I use protein powder as a quick, easy way to increase my protein consumption on days that I'm low. I either make it into a shake or sometimes add it to yogurt.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have that same protein powder. I LOVE that flavor with milk.
    I'll even throw some peanut butter in for a real treat if I have calories to spare.