Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options
I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

Replies

• TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I drink it becouse it tastes better then soy milk and it is better for you as to much soy can be a bad thing. And it has healthy fats for you. I prefer the almond coconut milk blend and the fact that I cant drink regular milk.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I don't like dairy milk. I don't drink it for the protein. I don't like soy. I do like coconut milk though, too. I get plenty of protein from other sources anyway.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's high in potassium, fibre and calcium. I'm lactose intolerant. It tastes good and I use as if it's ordinary milk. It tastes awesome in scrambled eggs. So no, I don't think it's useless.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you are looking for nutrition out of it, you are better served elsewhere. If you are looking for a low cal faux dairy beverage, it's not half bad.

Any of the "good" in it is added. Might as well drink water and take a multivitamin.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    yes
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I don't do soy or dairy. It's not useless, it's quite good for you. I only have it 4 days a week though. No other dairy .. except some feta once in a while.
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!I drink it for the fiber and healthy fat.I love it in smoothies where I can add things for protein. It digests better too.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I use it because I cant have dairy or soya. I usually use rice milk for my calcium but Almond milk is a nice change.

Also you say most people use diary to get protein but most people I know use it to get their calcium levels in or because it adds to the taste of the meal.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Omg it tastes terrible. I don't know how anyone can drink it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I drink the unsweetened. It's great for smoothies. I eat other sources of protein to get my protein. Lean Meats. You have to pick where you want your nutrients to come from. For me Almond Milk is for nothing more then a filler.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Maybe...

I use it because I HATE skim milk. It is lower in calories than skim milk. It tastes better than skim milk. Some people can't take lactose or soy, and it is the perfect alternative. :laugh:
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk? Best stuff ever. Low calorie is what a lot of people want.

Cow milk was meant for cow babies, not human adults. Just my two cents.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I use it in cappucino and lattes. It steams up pretty good, and is a lot less calories than 2% milk. I would never use skim, and I prefer the flavor of almond milk in coffee than soy milk. Although, a soy milk chai latte is awfully tasty!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The one that isn't sweet = useless. The one that is sweetened = FREAKIN' DELICIOUS!
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened almond milk with whey protein powder...tastes better than adding just water. Yet only adds an additional 35 calories to my drink. That is all that I use it for.....
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    *cow baby at heart*
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Then I think you should go for the soymilk. We're not all looking for the same things, so I don't consider it useless. BTW, mine has 0g sugars...
  • DarwinChick95
    DarwinChick95 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've just done an assignment on different types of milk and there is surprisingly a lot of protein in almond milk, both sweetened and unsweetened. It also doesn't contain much glucose/lactose.
  • Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's high in potassium, fibre and calcium. I'm lactose intolerant. It tastes good and I use as if it's ordinary milk. It tastes awesome in scrambled eggs. So no, I don't think it's useless.

Agree! I loooove it in scrambled eggs.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use the Unsweetened Original Almond Milk because i am lactose intolerant, and i hate soy milk (bleh). 40 calories per cup, and more calcium then milk (and cows milk calcium doesn't get absorbed by the body anyway). (cows milk is for baby cows)