Am I the only person who thinks almond milk is useless?

Options

Replies

• jozkny
    jozkny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I dont drink *any* milk (my dairy comes from cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt) but my son can't have any dairy OR soy, so we use almond milk. I prefer coconut, and there are also a couple brands that make a coconut/almond mix. ...PS- cow milk is for baby cows, not humans and I know the middle of a coconut has "milk" (or some sort of liquid) but I have never squeezed an almond hard enough to get ANY liquid! Whats up with that?!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I use the Unsweetened Original Almond Milk because i am lactose intolerant, and i hate soy milk (bleh). 40 calories per cup, and more calcium then milk (and cows milk calcium doesn't get absorbed by the body anyway).

^ this

milk is NOT the best source of calcium.
  • Montanarush
    Montanarush Posts: 76
    Options
    I drink almond-coconut milk, and the only reason I drink that is it tastes good with my whey protein. otherwise, I have no use for any milk at all. (Lactose intolerant). Soy milk has side effects, especially for guys, as it supposedly causes large amounts of estrogen in your body, so almond is my last choice, and if you get unsweetened, theres not many carbs at all.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lol that's what my mom says too (she's been vegan for over 10 years), but I believe almond milk is a good source of calcium- it has twice the amount as milk. And calcium is one of those things that are harder to get on a vegan diet. I guess it's an acquired taste after reading some opinions here on MFP, though. It's good for people who can't drink dairy or choose not to and still want to eat familiar foods such as cereal.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize we all had to use milk for the same "purpose"
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yeah, alternative milks may be great for the lactose intolerant, but not sure why anyway would give up dairy unless they need to or don't like the taste. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is not bad, but as mentioned it's hard to beat skim milk if you're after most the most nutrients per calorie.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla in my Kashi berry crumble in the morning, and as a calcium rich filler in my already high in protein protein shakes during the day. Absolutely NOT useless if you're using it for specific macros. I certainly want to grow old and be healthy, and if I'm going to maintain this muscle structure, I want my bones to be able to support it as I get older, and would like the threat of osteoporosis to be loweredas much as possible. I like strong bones.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened vanilla in my protein shake as well. I love dairy milk, but this is a little lower in calories- which is nice b/c I'm adding it to protein powder which already contains calories. If I just want a cup of milk to drink, I always go for diary though.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I would only drink it because I don't like the taste of milk. Okay it may be lower calorie, but low-cal doesn't mean it's better nutritionally. If you're losing weight then maybe small substitutions like this make sense for you though.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole purpose of milk was to add protein to the meal.. yet there's like one gram of protein in almond milk. It's basically just sugar, at least that's what I get from the nutrition facts. I mean even though it's low calorie & all, that's great, but if I'm going for non-dairy, I could pick up some light soymilk for about 60 calories and 6 grams of protein.

I don't really get why people drink it.

I drink it because of the calcium.
  • IreneV
    IreneV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, clearly, you are not the only person who thinks that. In my opinion it is just an other expensive alternative to water. It has too little protein to replace milk and too little and not the right type of protein to help absorb the calcium. Do some math and be surprised at how few almonds are actually used to make almond milk. It should not even be legal to carry that name.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I've tried pretty much every brand available in my area and ,just, yuck. I'm not a huge fan of soy milk either but Silk Chocolate is the only one I can stand.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I never bought Almond Milk (plain, unsweetened) for the protein.
    I get PLENTY of protein elsewhere.

One either drinks it or they don't.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk? Best stuff ever. Low calorie is what a lot of people want.

Cow milk was meant for cow babies, not human adults. Just my two cents.

Make that 4 cents.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I drink it cuz i f@cking want to.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Useless is a bit harsh - I guess if you like the taste of it, or can't drink dairy but want something to have with cereal it's ok. I've only tried it once and the brand I bought tasted like sugary water. And reading the ingredients list, it was, in fact, made of mostly sugar and water - disgusting. I'd rather drink juice or wine or cider if I want sweetened water.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink almond-coconut milk, and the only reason I drink that is it tastes good with my whey protein. otherwise, I have no use for any milk at all. (Lactose intolerant). Soy milk has side effects, especially for guys, as it supposedly causes large amounts of estrogen in your body, so almond is my last choice, and if you get unsweetened, theres not many carbs at all.

Is that where my moobs came from. :smile:
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You can purchase unsweetened almond milk.

I personally choose unsweetened soy or coconut milk. I personally find that it tastes better in protein shakes and in cereal. To each their own!
  • kimkim1123
    kimkim1123 Posts: 20
    Options
    Almond milk is a great alternative to regular milk. I use coconut milk in my cooking, but it tastes awful straight. I think the almond milk tastes great straight. I get the "unsweetened" variety.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I want a low cal protein shake (I get the protein from the added protein powder)