Women In Their 40's Struggling With Their Weight Coming Off?

Options
124»

Replies

• bsharpy
    Options
    Read your blog, I am 51 and struggling to loose. What did you do to get the ball rolling to loose?
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but I agree with many who have said to go low-carb. I have cut back substantially on my carbs, and I normally go over on protein, and this seems to have worked for me. I am 52 and I've lost 70 lbs in 6 months, so it can be done. Some weeks I lose more, some less, but at least it's coming off.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and not low carb at all. I became vegan after making myself sick on a low carb diet. (and only lost 10lbs in one year, to boot! ha ha!)

Anyway, I eat carbs...a ton of carbs. BUT I don't eat processed carbs. No white sugar. No bread. No white noodles (I eat rice noodles occasionally, and more often soba noodles, but still infrequently). I eat fat, but not added fat or refined/pressed fats or oils...you know, fats that occur in the foods they grow in. I'm BELOW my goal weight at age 44

Jeff Novick has a lot of info on nutrient density and there are lots of doctors and authors found by googling who talk about nutrient density

the coolest things is that when you meet your body's nutrition needs, you don't have as many of the crazy cravings that make you eat things you shouldn't. Additionally, eating for nutrition helps your body make the best of the energy you provide for exercise and daily activities (in other words, you have more energy). and if you are eating nutrient dense food, you can eat a lot. this was fantastic news for a girl with a huge appetite! (you can reduce your portion sizes, but ultimately that rarely works....trying just to eat a little less of what made you gain weight and ill health is a recipe for disaster and rarely works long term)

MY fav video is one by Doug Lisle called "losing weight without losing your mind". His information about a nutritional approach to weight loss makes MORE sense than anything else I've read or heard. it's a little long, but he's very funny and dorky and easy to listen to. You don't actually have to watch the video, just listen.

it's important to understand that your body and metabolism are not broken: they are burdened by the poor nutrition that lead to the weight gain. You can recover.

I thought I had a million different things wrong with me before I changed my diet. seriously. My hair was falling out, my periods had stopped, my skin was weird, I couldn't see, I was sweating all the time, my legs felt like they were made of lead, I had orange sweat ...I could go on and on. and now there's totally nothing wrong with me, and I'm running 54K race (33.5 miles) in a little over a week. 2 whole years on a dieting journey but only one heading in the right direction.

Good luck to you!