Help me calm my nerves!!! Wisdom teeth removal...

Kai85
Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
I can't sleep. I paid for my wisdom teeth removal surgery today ($2500 - ouch!). Surgery day is Friday. I've been lying awake in bed saying well maybe I don't really need it. I should just cancel.

I know it's going to hurt... when I wake up anyway! The surgeon referred to one of my teeth as "nasty" as it is impacted and touching a nerve. The side effect of permanent numbness scares the *kitten* out of me for want of a better word (he reassures me it is rare but he must tell clients about all of the risks and in his career of 30 years he has only had two instances one of which was only temporary and the other is six months in).

Please tell me I'm overreacting and it will all be worth it in the end :flowerforyou:

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    It isn't that bad. Sure you will be sore but if you put under, you will be fine. You will get prescription for some pain meds I am sure.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Getting my wisdom teeth out (under a general) was painful short term, but fantastic long term. No more sinus headaches (mine pushed into my sinus).

While healing, Mashed potatoes are good. Rice is rubbish. Rice went down into the spaces left and ... Blurgh..
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Totally understand your nerves. I scared the peediddle out of myself before having mine removed. And for what?! Nothing. It was fine. Just make sure you have lots of 80s comedies ready to watch when you get home. They have healing powers! :)
    Big hugs and calm, cool vibes your way!
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    You'll be fine. It's been a lot of years since I had mine out but i was put under and had a dental surgeon take them out. From what i remember it hurt a little for a couple of days but with the meds they prescribed I didn't feel too much.

Don't worry about it. Paying the $2500 is probably what will hurt the most!
  • mjanet22
    mjanet22 Posts: 19 Member
    OMG! I have my surgery set for next month! I had to also pay a hefty fee. But good luck, let me know how it goes. All 4 are coming out?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    I was so glad to get mine out because of the pain.

You need to just call the doctor and ask for a valium. Mine gave me 2 the night before and 1 the morning of so I was flying high by the time I went in there.

Oh and I was eating BBQ ribs the next day. I got all 4 our surgically, didn't feel a thing but I was under local anestetic.

My removal was some how covered by heatlh insurance...the surgeons office figured it out. I only paid my deductible.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Please tell me I'm overreacting and it will all be worth it in the end :flowerforyou:

^ For sure it will be worth it - better to take care of this now, rather than later.
    You will be glad you took care of it.
    Be sure to follow all the instructions - they might tell you the instructions while you are woozy, but they usually also tell the person driving you home (who is presumably not-woozy :laugh: ).

Seriously though, you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Totally understandable!
    You are doing the right thing. Everything will work out and in a few days you will be no longer living with the weight of an upcoming procedure.
    Pain pills are great.
    Hang in there!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I overreacted too, but when I woke up I was glad to have it over. General anesthesia is the best. They had to cut a chunk of bone out of my jaw in order to get one tooth out. You should probably forget i said that...

So there's no immediate pain, and it really isn't that bad. Afterward, it's more just annoying than painful. Most people have had this done and they survived :)
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    I know what you feel like! I had all four taken out when I was about 18. I was SO scared. They made me watch this video with all the risks of anesthesia (I went completely under), and it really freaked me out. I think the doctor thought my parents were forcing me to have it done LOL

Anyway ...

Your case is a little different to mine as yours seem to be impacted, but it doesn't hurt quite as much as you might think. For me, afterwards it was more the annoyance of not being able to eat much for a while and stuffying gauze in my mouth :P

I had relaxers (don't know what pill) before I went in. They did NOTHING lol
  • Kai85
    Thanks guys. I think the risks I'm worrying about are very rare! I don't really have any pain at all with them. I am getting all four out. I'm going under general. I think it's more of a prevantative thing and I'm also getting braces put on at the end of the month.

Lots of DVDs and sleeping I'm thinking.

The money hurt I should get mor than half back from my health insurance but we'll see. The cost of the braces (6500$) is going to hurt more!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Don't worry about it. Paying the $2500 is probably what will hurt the most!

This!

I had all four out at once... they were impacted and growing sideways. And complications because my pain meds made me nauseous and I developed dry socket. But it still wasn't THAT bad.

The worst part of mine was that I got them out on Sept 11, 2001. I was looking forward to vegging on the couch watching trash television while recovering, and instead witnessed the worst tragedy to hit America. Hard to feel sorry for yourself under those circumstances.

Mashed potatoes with melted cheese mixed in was the greatest food ever.
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    About 48 hours after is the worst. I had all 4 of mine out on a Friday morning and I was back in class on Monday. My oldest son just had his out last month. Removed on Monday and he was in a car to Disney World Wednesday. That was rough day for him, but Thursday was better, Friday better, etc.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    I had all 4 of mine removed in one go about a month ago and can honestly say it's the best thing I could have done. One of mine was also impacted and another was infected but I took the anti biotics and painkillers they gave me and although it was a bit tender, I didn't have any major pain - at least not as bad as when I had the teeth in there and they used to literally make me want to scream in agony. If you can, get your dentist to prescribe the anti biotics and painkillers beforehand so you can have them ready straightaway :) Good luck!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    It's natural to get worked up about surgery. The unknown, will it hurt, the risks. We tend to be our worst enemies. I had 7 teeth, 3 being wisdom teeth pulled at one time, had too many teeth in a small mouth & the wisdom teeth had to come out. You will do fine!
  • Kai85
    Oh dear! I am looking forward to the trashy tv!!! What a day (September 11) to have your surgery!

Did any of you have any impacted teeth that were close to nerves? That's what I'm scared about at the moment...

Oh and my doctor has given me a week off work which is kind of a bonus as it coincided with about two public holidays (about 10 days off)...
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Of everybody I've known who has had theirs removed, only a couple where really bad. Most people it seems are just sore a couple of days. I was one of the lucky ones and wasn't really sore at all. I'm sure you'll be fine, and if your dentist thinks you need them removed you should probably have them taken out.
  • Kai85
    Of everybody I've known who has had theirs removed, only a couple where really bad. Most people it seems are just sore a couple of days. I was one of the lucky ones and wasn't really sore at all. I'm sure you'll be fine, and if your dentist thinks you need them removed you should probably have them taken out.

Thanks! Your puppy is adorable!!!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    I had 2 of mine removed and it was absolutely painless, they just used a local too, so within 5 minutes of having them pulled I was on the road driving off. One of them did bleed a little much, but it stopped after an hour or two. I had no soreness or pain at all unless I tried chewing food where one of them used to be. Was given a vicodin prescription but never filled it.
  • Kai85
    oh and I've never been under general anesthetic before. I'm not so worried about that anymore. It's probably best as I am not the best dental patient :smile: